Looking for some advice/heads up about TransDEM

UnionPacificFan1005

ignore user, GTW foamer
Well, I'm finally getting serious about content creation, and I'm planning to build a prototypical route. I have a 2 week break coming up, and I intend to use that to get started on it and get used to TransDEM. Is there anything I should know about TransDEM before going in and starting? I want to be able to kinda hit the ground running with it.

If you haven't reviewed it already, here is a video tutorial that will help lead you through the process. It's about an hour and12 minutes.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meeq_5_keYs
watch

The program is very powerful and has a lot more tools in it than you'll need. The gist is you get the DEM file from, I'll assume here, the NSGS National Server.

The National Map - Advanced Viewer

You scroll zoom, scroll, etc. to the area you want.
Pick the data to download. IMG, etc. This is under the 3DEP or something like that, I'm going on memory here.

You can also download current imaging here and historic maps going back to the 70s and 80s. Choose GEO PDF and then convert the files within TransDEM

For historical maps go here:
USGS Historical Topographic Map Explorer (arcgis.com)

To be able to fix-up and use the GEO PDF files, you will need to install the GDAL application. The link is provided, I think in TransDEM documentation, or on the website. You install this separately and it's called up by TransDEM to convert the files to work properly after TransDEM trims them.

Anyway, before I get too far ahead and confuse you.

I highly recommend going through the tutorials available in the documentation. PM me if you need help. I also put together a couple of quick tutorials that I can send you. Unfortunately, the NSGS website changes often, so it's difficult to keep the docs fully up-to-date.

The program is very powerful and has a lot more tools in it than you'll need. The gist is you get the DEM file from, I'll assume here, the NSGS National Server.

The National Map - Advanced Viewer

You scroll zoom, scroll, etc. to the area you want.
Pick the data to download. IMG, etc. This is under the 3DEP or something like that, I'm going on memory here.

You can also download current imaging here and historic maps going back to the 70s and 80s. Choose GEO PDF and then convert the files within TransDEM

For historical maps go here:
USGS Historical Topographic Map Explorer (arcgis.com)

To be able to fix-up and use the GEO PDF files, you will need to install the GDAL application. The link is provided, I think in TransDEM documentation, or on the website. You install this separately and it's called up by TransDEM to convert the files to work properly after TransDEM trims them.

Anyway, before I get too far ahead and confuse you.

I highly recommend going through the tutorials available in the documentation. PM me if you need help. I also put together a couple of quick tutorials that I can send you. Unfortunately, the NSGS website changes often, so it's difficult to keep the docs fully up-to-date.
What I'm trying to model is located in Canada, do you know if there's a Canadian equivalent of USGS that I can use?

I was able to get a download from the second one as an HGT, will TransDEM take that?

Hello UnionPacificFan1005,

Transdem has no problems with HGT-files. In Transdem - goto the menu File / Dem and go for open Dem - then click on the HGT-file ( even possible in the zip format ) you need for your route.

Recheck the youtube file ( see answer #2 ) - start at 12.50 ( and following ).

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

Last edited:

Transdem has no problems with HGT-files. In Transdem - goto the menu File / Dem and go for open Dem - then click on the HGT-file ( even possible in the zip format ) you need for your route.

Recheck the youtube file ( see answer #2 ) - start at 12.50 ( and following ).

Kind regards

Thank you! Just finished my order for TransDEM, very excited to get started with this :D

Thank you! Just finished my order for TransDEM, very excited to get started with this :D

My advice is the following - Take your time. When you have downloaded the necessary files, read the pdf files before installing the Transdem program.

As you start learning and using Transdem, it is very very useful to do the tutorials several times. Check also the Transdem forum ( https://forum.transdem.de/ )

Kind regards

Last edited:
Before even learning or starting up TransDEM, you have to decide on the data source you will use and become proficient in finding and downloading the data to your PC.

Are you building a 20-baseboard prototypical route where the close-up terrain detail is critical? Or are you building a 5000-baseboard route where most of the terrain will be background anyway, so you don't need the most detailed data?

I build the large, non prototypical routes so I like the SRTM data (from space shuttle). Some will criticize this data as not being detailed enough. Of course, the more detailed the source, the bigger the files. For SRTM, I like this source: 30-Meter SRTM Elevation Data Downloader (dwtkns.com). Easy to use. But sometimes you get an error message so try again.

But also do this: In Google or Bing, search on source for srtm data. I particularly like the way the Bing search results are displayed. This should give you some good advice.

Once you purchase and start up TransDEM, you will be immediately intimidated by the complexity of the main screen. Reminiscent of the older versions of Blender in my opinion. You do not need to know everything in TransDEM to make it useful, so start with the basics.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the help everyone. I have one question, is it possible to get water depth in the route import? I just imported my route and am feeling very accomplished, I just am wondering if maybe I would be able to get water depths. The rail line I'm creating is a 3 mile long narrow gauge preservation railroad that follows a lake, so that's kind of important for me here.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. I have one question, is it possible to get water depth in the route import? I just imported my route and am feeling very accomplished, I just am wondering if maybe I would be able to get water depths. The rail line I'm creating is a 3 mile long narrow gauge preservation railroad that follows a lake, so that's kind of important for me here.

Have a look at this "old thread ( 2014 )" - https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-111242.html

Kind regards

For Canada use Geospatial Data Extraction at https://maps.canada.ca/czs/index-en.html. it has 20 m data.

The TransDEM documentation has a link for Canada, but it is no longer valid.

I have just started on my first TranzDEM project (US area). I created a series of post about my experience. Search for "TranzDEM US Route". The first post is here.

PS: I retrieved a small section from Geospatial Data Extraction. TranzDEM fails to load it with: ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey tag value unknown [User-Defined]. Not sure what is wrong.

Back