Looking for quarry equipment...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Does anyone know where I can find assets such as block and tackle, various cranes, and other equipment? I have some and have done some searching on the DLS, but I can't find much. The actual rail equipment isn't difficult nor are the various sheds and bridges.

A bit of history... I'm working on a fictional route that takes place in and around Cape Ann. Cape Ann was famous for its granite and there are still plenty of quarries still in existence which haven't been filled in. In real life the operations ended some time in the early 20th century. During the height of the operations, many had their own railroads with some being narrow gauge that went from the quarries to the docks with no other connection to the outside world. In my operation I am running freight and commuter trains to the various towns along the shore. At one point, out near Bay View, there are some old quarry pits that I have run track out to and then down to an old dock. This dock and nearby quarry had a rail line in real life, and the old ROW is still obvious.

http://binged.it/1srUPHN --- the region I'm currently modeling. Note the pier at Bay View. The old ROW is obvious as it runs off into the woods on the other side of Route 127a.

Here is a present operation at Fletcher's Quarry in North Chelmsford MA, which is located quite a distance from the Gloucester and Rockport.
http://youtu.be/53_4NlgWcpc

John

Last edited:
That is a fun idea for a route, John. (George kicks himself....why didn't I think of that!) Not sure I can offer any help on quarry cranes and such though.

Hey John I found a couple of candidates on Leeferr's Ashland Central Route.
Dragline Big Muskie <kuid2:129654:21100:2>
cable excavator tracks 4 <kuid2:119692:50011:1> (alien3)
drilling rig <kuid2:119692:900044:1>
hydrolic(sp) excavator <kuid:119692:136>
alien3 has a lot of assets that might fit what you are looking for
Mark

Hey John I found a couple of candidates on Leeferr's Ashland Central Route.
Dragline Big Muskie <kuid2:129654:21100:2>
cable excavator tracks 4 <kuid2:119692:50011:1> (alien3)
drilling rig <kuid2:119692:900044:1>
hydrolic(sp) excavator <kuid:119692:136>
alien3 has a lot of assets that might fit what you are looking for
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you! I'll check those out.

On the DLS look up user "konni" and keyword "excavator." Make sure all of the Trainz versions are checked.

John

Thank you all for your help. I think I have enough to search and work with for now.

John

I too am working on a quarry and the old English way, back before the 70s, was with Derrick cranes. I've managed to find the following on the DLS, but anything else like this would be appreciated:
Derrick Crane,<kuid2:60238:27159:1>
YVRR Stiff-Leg Derrick,<kuid2:210518:8980:1>
Paul

I too am working on a quarry and the old English way, back before the 70s, was with Derrick cranes. I've managed to find the following on the DLS, but anything else like this would be appreciated:
Derrick Crane,<kuid2:60238:27159:1>
YVRR Stiff-Leg Derrick,<kuid2:210518:8980:1>
Paul

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for too. This will be used in a granite quarry where the big stone blocks are cut and transported on flat cars such as those in my video.

John

I'm trying sandstone, but have similar needs, particularly cut stone blocks. Are there any out there?

Don't know if any creators are interested in adding some steam operated derrick cranes like these:

quarryderricks.jpg

Paul

Back