Looking for coach keys...

Ferrous

Going...going...
Hi, all,

As some of you may know, my father and I spend a lot of time volunteering at the local railroad museum. A lot of the cars there have cabinets that we need to access, but are coach key locks instead of conventional key locks. I was fortunate enough to obtain my own coach key, but it's becoming more and more apparent that my father needs his own. That being said, does anyone know where I might be able to find such a coach key?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Just an idea, but maybe you would be better off trying to find a person in your area who could cast and/or machine a new one. That way you can have another and not be struggling to locate an original.:D

Hi, all,

As some of you may know, my father and I spend a lot of time volunteering at the local railroad museum. A lot of the cars there have cabinets that we need to access, but are coach key locks instead of conventional key locks. I was fortunate enough to obtain my own coach key, but it's becoming more and more apparent that my father needs his own. That being said, does anyone know where I might be able to find such a coach key?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Could a local key cutter make one to order?

Hmm...well, they're not exactly like regular keys, I'll upload a pic later today of my key to show you guys what I mean. But thanks for the ideas! :wave:

I looked coach keys up on the internet, and if the key you're looking for is anything like what I saw, then any competent machinist should be able to machine it... There's no telling how much it would cost, though.:confused:

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't get the time to upload the pic before I had to leave yesterday...

Here we are:
dscn3368am0.jpg

(Yes, that's a Utah quarter. ;))

Back