layers

jjslll54

Member since Nov 2001
I read a post on here pointed at uploaders of routes and layouts about putting rail cars and consists on a separate layer so that when they upload their route to the download station the cars and consists won't be on the layout for others to have to hunt down. I have to admit on my route they are there mostly for show and to populate the yards and make the engine facilities look busy. How does one separate rolling stock and locomotives from the main surveyor layer so when I get ready to upload my route the train components don't get uploaded with it? I do have several locomotives I have reskinned for my personal use that don't come with permission to upload granted in the config file.

Jack

The advice I have read on using layers in the newer versions of Trainz is to put all the trains on the session layer. This is very useful with UDS and is recommended on the wiki. The trains "just for show" can sit on the session layer but have no instructions to perform in "drive session".

Maybe this will solve the problem you asked about.

Create a new session from your route. Edit that session. Create a new session in the session layer. Unfortunate these have the same nomenclature. Move all the rolling stock to that new layer. You can actually move the rolling stock in the session you are editing into the existing session layer if that is less confusing. Save the route and session without a new name. Now your route will be devoid of rolling stock. And you have a new session that has the rolling stock and refers to your route that has just been modified.
If you want to preserve your route with the rolling stock, just clone it and do the above procedures on the clone.

The reasoning behind creating a new session layer for the rolling stock is that if someone downloads your session and does not want any of the rolling stock for some reason, they can just delete that session layer.

Last edited:
You don't have to put it in the session. You can create a new layer in either the top section (route) or the bottom section (session). Layers can be dragged from route into session and vice versa. So if rolling stock is essential then open a new layer in the route if they are not then open a new layer in the session.
When you upload a route, all the layers in the route section will upload with it. All layers in the session section will only upload if you choose to upload the session as well.

Two points to consider here are:-

• Anything placed in the Route Layers Group will be loaded and saved with the Route
  • Anything placed in the Session Layers Group will be loaded and saved with the Session.

Where inexperienced users have the most problems is in loading, editing and saving the Route but not the Session. There are so many aspects of Trainz, not just rolling stock, that rely on the Session. If you have experience and know what you are doing (i.e. what is "Route Data" and what is "Session Data") then you can safely load, edit and save the Route only.

There is a long and detailed Wiki Page on the subject of Routes and Sessions at Route and Session Basics.

My practice, for many years now, has been to place all mobile rolling stock in the Session. The only exceptions I make are for fixed rolling stock, such as a loco mounted on a plinth in a park or a box car placed on a short section of buried track (to hide the bogies) so that it resembles a storage container at a depot or elsewhere.

The arrival of the UDS in TRS19 Platinum Edition virtually made it mandatory (or at the minimum - highly recommended) to place rolling stock assets in the Session. This is because the position of each rolling stock asset (which is now separated from the asset itself) has to be stored in the Session to make the UDS work. If you never use the UDS then this is no problem and you can carry on as before but I find the UDS to be such a powerful time saving tool that I use it extensively. Because of my habit of placing rolling stock assets in the Session, the arrival of the UDS made no difference to my workflow pattern.

My thoughts.

The arrival of the UDS in TRS19 Platinum Edition virtually made it mandatory (or at the minimum - highly recommended) to place rolling stock assets in the Session. This is because the position of each rolling stock asset (which is now separated from the asset itself) has to be stored in the Session to make the UDS work. If you never use the UDS then this is no problem and you can carry on as before but I find the UDS to be such a powerful time saving tool that I use it extensively. Because of my habit of placing rolling stock assets in the Session, the arrival of the UDS made no difference to my workflow pattern.

Very well said. Let me emphasize that the current position of a consist will be saved in the session even if the trains are placed on the route. I had problems with UDS until I read the wiki.

But here is another reason why trains should be placed on the session, not the route. Let's say you have trains placed on the route, and you want to do some track work. If the trains are nearby, you will get the "train too close" error if you try to adjust the track. But with trains on the session, all you do is load the route, don't choose a session, and then select "edit route". Now you can play with track with no trains in the way.

Last edited:
But here is another reason why trains should be placed on the session, not the route. Let's say you have trains placed on the route, and you want to do some track work. If the trains are nearby, you will get the "train too close" error if you try to adjust the track. But with trains on the session, all you do is load the route, don't choose a session, and then select "edit route". Now you can play with track with no trains in the way.

You may find the train is derailed if the track it was sitting on is moved during the edit of the route only. The session remembers the position it was in and will place it back in the same position.

You may find the train is derailed if the track it was sitting on is moved during the edit of the route only. The session remembers the position it was in and will place it back in the same position.

I experienced exactly that issue several times before I worked out what was going on. Now when I edit route tracks that I know will be occupied by session consists (or in their immediate vicinity) then I load the session not just the route and move the consists out of the way first. Sometimes this means loading and editing several sessions before I start editing the track. Yes, it is a pain but that is far outweighed by the advantages of placing the consists in the sessions.

My thoughts

You don't have to put it in the session. You can create a new layer in either the top section (route) or the bottom section (session). Layers can be dragged from route into session and vice versa. So if rolling stock is essential then open a new layer in the route if they are not then open a new layer in the session.
When you upload a route, all the layers in the route section will upload with it. All layers in the session section will only upload if you choose to upload the session as well.

If creators are not paying attention, or if it indeed their intention to put rolling stock in the route layer, or another route layer, then so be it.

The OP was asking why to put rolling stock in a separate session (as in an upload to the DLS). My answer was directed to this procedure. You may be reading too much into my post.

Thanks guys. You've given me a lot to think about and try. All the years I've used the simulator my focus has been on building routes and content to put on my routes. I am currently learning blender so I can get back into modeling again. I'm college trained in 3DS Max and Maya, however, even at Autodesk's hobby user price point I can't afford to use either. If they would let me pay on a monthly basis I would prefer Max as I know how to use it. Thanks again.

Jack

You are right - I should have specified that track work should not include the track that the train was parked on, just nearby track

Hi All
I have found a situation where I felt I had to leave Rolling stock on the route. On my Bethungra Spiral testing, I found that the AI drivers would always try to drive through the Bethungra yards, which although being speed restricted, are on the inside of a curve and so a couple of metres or yards shorter, so the AI wanted to go through the yards. So i placed a couple of wagons at loading points in the yards with a bit of what I thought was appropriate scenery. The alternative was to disconnect the sidings. I guess it will be a pain for shunting sessions but I think most people will be using the route for through running anyway.
Just a thought,
Tom

Some other options:-

1. place a Track Priority marker on the main line track with the same priority level as the through train but give the yard entrance track a different priority level. This will force the through train to avoid the yard
  2. use a trigger that responds to the through train and activates a junction rule that sets and locks the yard junction to the main line only, and release it when the train has passed

Hi All
I have found a situation where I felt I had to leave Rolling stock on the route. On my Bethungra Spiral testing, I found that the AI drivers would always try to drive through the Bethungra yards, which although being speed restricted, are on the inside of a curve and so a couple of metres or yards shorter, so the AI wanted to go through the yards. So i placed a couple of wagons at loading points in the yards with a bit of what I thought was appropriate scenery. The alternative was to disconnect the sidings. I guess it will be a pain for shunting sessions but I think most people will be using the route for through running anyway.
Just a thought,
Tom

I found that as well. A track priority marker (set to 3) on the yard track fixes it. Did you get my e-mail?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Gents. Great advice as usual here.
Sorry Phil, I hadnt checked the email and missed your advice. I will have to try to make my email thingys talk to each other. Each app, employer and change of ISP want a different name, not like the old days when your address was the place you lived.
I will make a few changes as you suggest and reupload.
Tom

Back