Laptop: What would I need to upgrade to run Trainz 2010 and up?

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
Ok, so finally, I've got my laptop fixed so it quit's overheating on me, and now it comes down to this. What do I need to upgrade in it in order to run versions higher the TRS2006? Here's my specs:

Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
Graphics Card: NIVIDIA Geforce 8200M G

You are going to need to check the memory available on the graphics card. You need to get the RAM memory up to at least 4GB. With 32bit OS, you can't use any more than that, but you should get the memory up. I run on a HP 2000 but that's got a 64bit processor and I've upped the memory to 8GB. I run TS12 now with little trouble.

I'd suggest skipping 10 and going right to 12. I have both on a Dell Inspiron desktop and 10 is definitely clunky while 12 runs the same routes smoothly. My off-the-shelf Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel Core I7 processor, 8 GB ram and the Dell graphics runs 12 just fine. Your system seems on the elderly and slow side for either 10 or 12 but you should install all the RAM you can, and use a full meg for video. That's the cheapest effective improvement you can make.

:B~)

I'd suggest skipping 10 and going right to 12. I have both on a Dell Inspiron desktop and 10 is definitely clunky while 12 runs the same routes smoothly. My off-the-shelf Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel Core I7 processor, 8 GB ram and the Dell graphics runs 12 just fine. Your system seems on the elderly and slow side for either 10 or 12 but you should install all the RAM you can, and use a full meg for video. That's the cheapest effective improvement you can make.

:B~)
It is from the 2009 era, and I used to run the Trainz 2006 Demo on it. Had no troubles with the demo then, but what I mean by Trainz 2010 and up is straightforward. I can probably be safe to say that Trainz Classics would be able to run on it even though I don't have TC1, 2, or 3.

The GPU in this notebook is a significant bottleneck. It's 6 years old and was slow on release. I doubt you will see any significant improvements regardless of what you upgrade due to the fact you won't be swapping the GPU any time soon...

I would recommend buying, or retrofitting a desktop PC, with a high wattage power supply, and a high end video card, with a CPU speed greater than 3.0GHz, as most laptops are not intended for gaming at all, as TurboBoost (that is intended only for intermittent use, short time use, for short bursts of regular computing speed) is always on, potentially overheating a laptop.

I would recommend buying, or retrofitting a desktop PC, with a high wattage power supply, and a high end video card, with a CPU speed greater than 3.0GHz, as most laptops are not intended for gaming at all, as TurboBoost (that is intended only for intermittent use, short time use, for short bursts of regular computing speed) is always on, potentially overheating a laptop.

You're going to need to be more specific than just 'a CPU with a clock speed of 3.0GHz or greater. It used to work like that in the Pentium 4/Athlon 64 days, but architectures are significantly more sophisticated now... Also, please provide a source for your turbo boost theory, you make the argument frequently however with modern CPU's drawing so little power and outputting a comparatively low amount of heat the argument just doesn't hold any weight...

Yes, it might be best to leave the laptop with it's stock components, because Trainz 2010 and 2012 might not run that smoothly. I remember before I built my desktop, I ran Trainz 2009 on my 2009 Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Most of the time, it ran routes between 15fps and 30fps. On top of that, Trainz would stutter and the laptop would begin to get hot. I would turn on Gamebooster for a short time along with my laptop cooler and that helped a good amount but caused the laptop to start getting hot. Your laptop would probably be able to handle Trainz 2009 and Trainz 2010 but on low to medium settings . If you plan on using Gamebooster, make sure you take your battery out but have the charger connected to the AC electrical outlet and put a cooling fan under your laptop. I don't think your laptop will be able to run TANE at all though since it requires a 64 bit operating system and 4GB RAM minimum.

Error 4903: Subject-Verb Disagreement
Although I laughed, I can (within reason) upgrade the following things on my E6530:
  • Ram (8GB) up to 16GB
  • GPU (integrated + NVS 5200m) up to intel + NVS 5200m (Requires logic board replacement)
  • LCD Panel (Dell anti-Glare FHD panel) LVDS cable supports up to 1920x1080
  • Storage, duh (240GB Kingston SSD)
  • CPU... without logic board replacement

everything in () is my current loadout

Logic board has CPU Socket:

Free-shipping-Motherboard-for-Dell-Latitude-E6530-W37NX.jpg

Image Credit

This is the nice, and worthwhile reason to ditch the consumer level machines as a whole and run to the business class and (as much as I hate them) alienware machines (also by Dell).

That's why I always say...

1. Never buy from big box
  2. Never buy consumer grade
  3. Always buy a Dell Latitude :)

To the OP: Just go spend the $1,200 on a new laptop already. That thing is older than my grandma's laptop.

Last edited:
Neon, I don't have such money to get a new laptop, and was only seeing what could be upgraded if I did desire to finally get this thing a bit more up do date.

Neon, I don't have such money to get a new laptop, and was only seeing what could be upgraded if I did desire to finally get this thing a bit more up do date.

The unfortunate truth for the most part is that when you make the purchase, you get what you get and are generally stuck with it.

Very true there. I have a 13 year old Windows XP Machine that runs slow, and not just slow, as slow as a turtle fused with a snail slow. The poor old OS has seen 13 years of it all. It's only purpose now and days is to run the old DOS-Era games.

Time to go find a job! Mine wasn't handed over for free, a whopping $1,700 of hard earned cash was dropped for mine.

Back