Kuranda gauge?

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
What is the gauge of the tourist train that runs out of Kuranda Station in Australia? I've looked at their website and at other sites that mention it but the gauge is never mentioned. My wife went there for a visit recently and now my father wants to know the gauge.

On a related topic, in the pictures I've seen, the trains have what appear to be both Janney couples and side buffers. Why both?

if the railroad has any steep down grades the buffers would keep the couplers from binding up. the uintah rail way in had to run buffers because of there grades and sharp curves

It's 3' 6", plus lots of 2' sugar cane railways. You could say that 3' 6" is really Australia's standard gauge, as if you combine the main systems of Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, and parts of South Australia (admittedly not all have trains running anymore) would be greater in distance in total than the 4' 8½" standard gauge.

See Queensland Rail, Kuranda Scenic Railway, or Savannahlander
Another good information site for Queensland railways is QROTI

Kurana Scenic Railway is part of a system that use to/goes to Forsayth, now used by the Savannahlander tourist train

Last edited:
I don't see how that works though...

All the states have set a "standard" gauge of 4' 8?" for their inter-state lines, therefore that would be Australia's standard gauge.

Plus, some states are now adopting 4' 8?" for their new lines because that is the "standard" so to speak:p

Tom, a New South Welshman:D
________
starcraft 2 replays

Last edited:
And REAL Broad Gauge (GWR broad gauge 7ft 1/4in IIRC) would be what. It's already considered mega wide gauge...

Or from a Victorian's point of view...

5ft3in is SG (well, it looks standard to my eyes...).
4ft8.5in is 'NG' (Well, it looks tiny to my eyes!).
all gauges below 4ft8.5in are 'super narrow gauge'
All gauges above 5ft3in are still considered broad gauge... GWR 'BG' is considered as 'perfect gauge' :p
Zec

I don't see how that works though...

All the states have set a "standard" gauge of 4' 8½" for their inter-state lines, therefore that would be Australia's standard gauge.
Because you would find that more 3' 6" gauge exists than 4' 8½" gauge, although it's probably just about the same now, although I still think their is more 3' 6" track.

A map in some railway book something like "Australian Railways: 1855 to 1970" or similar wording, shows that in WA, their was a lot more 3' 6" track than their is now.

S301, NSW standard gauge is not narrow gauge, it varies from narrow gauge to standard gauge! :hehe:

Although I hear that Seymour to Albury broad gauge is in very poor condition with a "temporary" (note in quotes) speed limit of 80kmh, and most trains north of Wangaratta are replaced with buses. And yes we know why that part of the line has NOT been maintained don't we now?

Last edited:
And REAL Broad Gauge (GWR broad gauge 7ft 1/4in IIRC) would be what. It's already considered mega wide gauge...

Or from a Victorian's point of view...

5ft3in is SG (well, it looks standard to my eyes...).
4ft8.5in is 'NG' (Well, it looks tiny to my eyes!).
all gauges below 4ft8.5in are 'super narrow gauge'
All gauges above 5ft3in are still considered broad gauge... GWR 'BG' is considered as 'perfect gauge' :p
Zec

Mega Broad Gauge: That'd be when the Germans in the 1930's actually consider converting to a gauge of 3 metre (that's approximately 9ft 10in). Not surprisingly, the idea didn't get very far...

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

Back