Kitbash

nickelplateroad

I noticed that they can do with kitbash more fun trainz. I need your help how do work with Kitbash my trainz NKP la Hudson is awesome in youtube, How do put smoke defliner and mars light and other. I have see non tutorial

Let me know

NKP

Well to kitbash you require the components, eg. The smoke deflectors themselves. Then a means of adding attachment points to the model (PEV's attachment maker) then knowledge on config.txt tags to add the attachment meshes using the points you add. I know becuase I've recently been doing a big project to convert one of WEN's class 307 driving trailers into an RES PCV carriage. I had to fabricate lots of parts from scratch like buffers, rubbing plates, pieces to blank off the windows, etc.

Understood! I need to know where I find to steam locomotive pieces alike mars light and smoke deflectors and other. I don't know which's one steam locomotives. Please PM me for help for tutorial.

NKP

i'm not, that's the answer to your question. you either take the meshes from other locomotives that have them, or you make them yourself via 3d modelling. that's it

I'm not much of a 3D modeler myself, so I'm needing to work with what's available. When taking the meshes and putting them into other locos, I also discovered I needed to take the textures with it too, because I'd end up getting a bunch of texture errors otherwise.

Not to mention that it's a bit of a trial and error process too. You would need to find a locomotive that has a separate piece such as smoke deflectors, either on the DLS or elsewhere. Such as a locomotive that has a function that you'd be able to remove or place the deflectors on command in game.

You know, if some person made a nice tutorial on how to even do this, I and a lot of other Trainz users would be very happy.

I think he means tutorials on kitbashing. IIRC there are quite a few of them out there, which is how I learned the minimum basics of kitbashing.

I've gone down that road, and I can assure you, it's not as easy as it sounds.

First you have to find the .im file you want to use as a kitbash piece, say a bell for example.

Then you have to copy said file, plus any associated textures, into the folder of the locomotive you want to use as your kitbashing platform, my example being a Union Pacific FEF.

After that, you have to go into the locomotive's config file and pick a spot where to put it. It isn't easy since if you get it wrong it'll tell you that it can't commit the changes because the file has the wrong kuid.

Anyway, it would look something like this:

mesh "examplebell.im"
auto-create 1
position 1.2,7.8,2.4

The left number determines sideways positioning, the center number determines the positioning along the body, and the right number determines vertical positioning.

It takes a lot of fine tuning to get it right, but the results are rewarding in the end.

First you have to find the .im file you want to use as a kitbash piece, say a bell for example.

Then you have to copy said file, plus any associated textures, into the folder of the locomotive you want to use as your kitbashing platform, my example being a Union Pacific FEF.

After that, you have to go into the locomotive's config file and pick a spot where to put it. It isn't easy since if you get it wrong it'll tell you that it can't commit the changes because the file has the wrong kuid.

mesh "examplebell.im"
auto-create 1
position 1.2,7.8,2.4

The left number determines sideways positioning, the center number determines the positioning along the body, and the right number determines vertical positioning.

It takes a lot of fine tuning to get it right, but the results are rewarding in the end.

Sometimes you won’t need to copy the meshes entirely. You can just reference them in your config file by simply putting the kuid of the original asset and path using the
“mesh-asset” tag in the mesh table. This can help with making it releasable since you don’t need permission to distribute that submesh because it is merely just referenced by the asset. The original will just become a dependency of the kitbash. This is the same thing as how aliased reskins work but they use texture-replacement effects and a simple script to apply reskinned textures.

mesh "examplebell.im"
auto-create 1
position 1.2,7.8,2.4

Wow! That seems pretty simple to do, except for the moving of stuff around. Thanks!

No problem.

And Slenderman8888, I've not yet done it that way, but thanks for the info. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

That particular FEF came from The Backshop when it was still open, although you can still access it through the Wayback Machine.

Back