Japan

Good Progress. @ The NicoFabi. The white spots where indeed for the Oiltanks.
(Edited to add): If you want some nice Japanese electronic music tones to accompany you then check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_BZtSXSdmk
(very YMO like but modern).

I attach 2 pictures of Hamakawasaki which may be of help with the track work there.

@Marinemania: Nice work
@Railshuttle: Good to see you. Still working at the SIR?

Hamakawasaki1.png

Hamakawasaki2.png

Last edited:
Good Progress. @ The NicoFabi. The white spots where indeed for the Oiltanks.
I attach 2 pictures of Hamakawasaki which may be of help with the track work there.
Well to be honest Google has a bit more quality on that in the end then... but i mean the issue is with all the turnouts and stuff are going to drive me insane since Trainz is hard with them...

Dual gauged tracks eh? that would be pretty cool. Snip

You would surprised in how many different places dual gauges tracks are used in japan. However I cannot find any images of double gauging in japan. In anycase dual gauging is being used in the Seikan tunnel for the foreseeable future, as long as JR group decides to utilize only one tunnel bore between Honshu and Hokkaido. Also on parts of the Akita Shinkansen after it joins the narrow gauge network.

Jr_kaikyoline_triplegagerail.jpg

1440132467914.jpg

Jfz9wJx.jpg

I am going to be busy so progress might be slow as I have other more pressing interests.

marinemania: looks interesting
Thenicofabi: good progress, sadly there isn't alot of information available to have good overviews of tracks and height in japan, I searched in the past for dem data for japan but couldn't find any.

p.s. For the ones that are interested in buying andi's trains J-trainz has an sale of 50% of all trains untill 25th this month.

Thenicofabi: good progress, sadly there isn't alot of information available to have good overviews of tracks and height in japan, I searched in the past for dem data for japan but couldn't find any.

p.s. For the ones that are interested in buying andi's trains J-trainz has an sale of 50% of all trains untill 25th this month.
Nice on the part of andi's J-Trainz... though i am gonna be broke for a while still so sadly not gonna be able to buy any... though i would pay full price too since they are definitly worth it!

Sadly that is true.... there isnt much information to be found unless you probably have the needed Japanese Language Skills to find something better... but what i cant find on google or bing maps i find in Densha De Go videos... so its possible somehow... even if it needs alot of work arround...

"Snip"

"Snip"

I'm not so sure about that, I happened upon some interest sites while I made this search on google: why did japan remove its terrain data records from puiblic viewing. (Note: I copied this from my history.)

http://www.gsi.go.jp/ENGLISH/

http://vterrain.org/Locations/jp/

http://www.cadcenter.co.jp/business/urbanviewer/urbanviewerforweb.php

http://www.kashmir3d.com/

http://vterrain.org/ - link to the home page from 2nd link.

what's more is that I made this search after I was looking how to modify terrain data in Flight Simulator X

Last edited:
So I flipped out with gmax so can anyone help me find an easy beginner 3D modeling software? I'm trying to get the crossings started but they don't come out right.

So I flipped out with gmax so can anyone help me find an easy beginner 3D modeling software? I'm trying to get the crossings started but they don't come out right.
The issue with this is that in the end you actually have to go back to gmax to get the file you need for Trainz... wich in the end is a pain in the bum because then it just fails on you... wich is why i gave up for now on my little stop signs... but i was basicaly doing one of the weirdest ways of doing modeling for Trainz...

Autodesk Maya -> Autodesk 3DS Max -> Gmax

annoying as hell process and especialy since Maya doesnt have an accurate sizing... and well Gmax ****s with the files aswell...

Station shot of 30 mile long route. Most of the buildings are built in Russian plus some Japanese from DLS. Mostly I run JNR steam on this.
df7aee20cedf9038eccb644ee00e51a6.jpg

The issue with this is that in the end you actually have to go back to gmax to get the file you need for Trainz... wich in the end is a pain in the bum because then it just fails on you... wich is why i gave up for now on my little stop signs... but i was basicaly doing one of the weirdest ways of doing modeling for Trainz...

Autodesk Maya -> Autodesk 3DS Max -> Gmax

annoying as hell process and especialy since Maya doesnt have an accurate sizing... and well Gmax ****s with the files aswell...

You shouldn't need to go into GMAX. 3DS can export to Trainz.

peter

If you guys want more information about those Japanese trains, using google chrome. go to the side of the wiki page and click under languages the 日本語 link and once you page is loaded you should see this https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄117系電車. As you can see there is tons of more information, we can thank the Train Otaku's for filling the page with rich detail if you are running chrome you can translate the page to give a rough translation that after sometime can be understood. At the bottom of each page are a set of dropdown tables with links to various other equipment and companies. If you get lucky you might even run into a page where a single piece of equipment is used system wide in the JR Group (these tables are also found in several of the private railway pages including Kintetsu, Keihan, Hanshin, and Hankyu equipment Pages).

I have found more information about japanese trains on the japanese language pages of Wikipedia than on the english pages.
I continue finding more information this way.

If you guys want more information about those Japanese trains, using google chrome. go to the side of the wiki page and click under languages the 日本語 link and once you page is loaded you should see this https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄117系電車. As you can see there is tons of more information, we can thank the Train Otaku's for filling the page with rich detail if you are running chrome you can translate the page to give a rough translation that after sometime can be understood. At the bottom of each page are a set of dropdown tables with links to various other equipment and companies. If you get lucky you might even run into a page where a single piece of equipment is used system wide in the JR Group (these tables are also found in several of the private railway pages including Kintetsu, Keihan, Hanshin, and Hankyu equipment Pages).

I have found more information about japanese trains on the japanese language pages of Wikipedia than on the english pages.
I continue finding more information this way.
Thats exactly what i started to do after a while, since you can find way more infos there and is helpfull as anything.

Am finedetailing Higashi station now but after seeing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/117_series#/media/File:JRWest-EC117-fukuchiyamaColor.JPG I just had to make this picture.
Well damn... that looks nearly exactly like the original... well maybe there is a track missing and the wrong catenary but nvm that... its amazing :D

looks like you're making good progress there Nico. That yard is taking shape. What ng tracks are you using for this route?
Falcon500: great pic
acelaamtrack: That's pretty much spot on!! maybe you could use the New Haven cantenary spline for the overhead wires at the station as a substitute.
pagroov: yeah I'm still working on the SIRL: the thing is that I'm working on the American freight lines now so no pics since this is a japan pic forum and all but after they are done, I'll start working on the newest and last Japan inspired line on the Eastern zone I would at least like to release what I've done so far around the end of the year soon.

@ Acelaamtrak. Splendid pic. Virtual meets reality there.
@ Railshuttle.

Nice. I'm also still working on my layout. Prepared Electro Island 3 for a Ts12 release probably somewhere around late november/december. Now working on a new NG system in South Toshin with the airport lines. Will make some screenshots this week.

looks like you're making good progress there Nico. That yard is taking shape. What ng tracks are you using for this route?
pagroove used the Japan NG named ones (forgot the actual name) for laying a rough line going and i continued with the DL 1067 NG tracks... (if i could just remember names >_>)... not gonna get to building till friday though

Falcon500 No that looks great, just what I'm been looking for somewhere to run all those JNR Steamers and early Railcars Great, Will just have to move them to Tane or re-download them.

Tom

Back