Is N3V Yearly Subcription Killing Off Sales ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just hardware and IT 101 though. Thing's don't stay the same, tech is constantly improving, sometimes so fast it even trips over itself. This is always to be expected in software. You should never count on the Dev/Publisher to support X software til you are dead. It's just not possible. Especially when sometimes its not because they don't want too, but can't due to the OS is no longer supported either by its maker. It's not to chase a dollar, its because code changes. You can't always bandaid fix things. You can polish a turd, but end of the night its still a turd.

This is 2004 back with the whole Steam worry that Valve may die and all games go bye bye. There is plans in place for this in almost all DRM like services. Steam, Origin, etc. They push a global update that would give you the keys for all your games onto your system. If the lights went out, the last switch would be to push the update out to all millions of users.

Companies can't hide anymore. Not to defend N3V or steam, but the lights wont just go out and you left in dark. I'd place Vegas bets that these devs have a plan in place if whatever reason it goes under. If not, take em to court.

You're joking about the above, correct? Haha, very funny. If not, please post some proof - especially the last part.

In any case, BK isn't the only concern: A bigger concern is that N3V will use product activation to forcibly obsolete software they don't want to support anymore or to force users to but new software to replace their perfectly-good current product. Corel - maker of WordPerfect, CorelDraw, PaintShop Pro, etc. - but one example of a publisher that will "no longer provide activation for legacy products."

Last edited:
You're joking about the above, correct? Haha, very funny. If not, please post some proof - especially the last part.

In any case, BK isn't the only concern: A bigger concern is that N3V will use product activation to forcibly obsolete software they don't want to support anymore or to force users to but new software to replace their perfectly-good current product. Corel - maker of WordPerfect, CorelDraw, PaintShop Pro, etc. - but one example of a publisher that will "no longer provide activation for legacy products."

People like yourself, are prime example of people not being with the times... with anything tech related. A) choose your companies better, your fault for support Corel. B) If you seriously think a huge multi million company will close shop, and say BYE, then you clearly need to never buy another software title again. You also should never EVER expect product support for life time, and helps to read TOS and fine print.

Here your proof for Valve, https://i.imgur.com/4sa1Ln6.jpg

From steam support.

Want to know N3V? E-mail them. Instead you choose to rant off on a forum, and spew nonsense that you don't even know because you are not educated in the topic.

But its the internet, everyone thinks they know everything and every answer.

No company is going to close shop and leave millions in the dark. Especially not in 2018 with Social Media and instant communication. If this is your worry about ANY software. Please, go to eBay, sell your PC. Buy a PS4 or Xbox and enjoy 1,2,3 steps. This is NOT a worry.

I think this thread is done, and can sum up it two ways.

1) Get a job , Buy nice things.

2) Get educated on a topic, Before you spew nonsense in a public forum and misguide innocent people reading false facts.

Anything else further is bickering and slowly turning into "no screw you, no, screw you" type post. Smell the roses folks

Last edited:
Name me a commercial product that is not a "quick buck salez" product.

A few years back I read the history of Auran (the original creator of Trainz) and how "Fury" (the "real-time sci-fi role-play-strategy game project that didn't work out") destroyed the company - it was posted on an academic publications site by the original founder of the company. The story is quite different from how you have portrayed Trainz as being a "mash up" to get cash for "Fury". It was, as is often the case with small niche software companies, an attempt to diversify their product base to gain more financial security. But, if my memory of the account is correct (age and Christmas "spirit" have taken their toll here) they listened to the wrong advice and made poor decisions - a story that is very common in the gaming development world where many (most?) startups fail before they even release a product to the market.

that sounds more probable than my take on it. i only remember what people were posting on the board at that time. they may have over stated the case. where did you find the 'history of auran'? in harvard business review? you remember the first version of trainz when it came out? remember how some really brilliant non-'brewcrew' modders made trainz into what it is today? i mean, not the first-person-choo-choo that the company needs to go head to head with 'train simulator' as as a block-buster 'grand theft choo-choo V'... . you want a trains software which wasn't a mash-up? remember 'pop-top' and its 'railroad tycoon 2'? that product-and-team had hands on respect for railroading and rail fans. merge the economics and logistics of RT2 with trainz and you'd have a genre-stomper.

... i only remember what people were posting on the board at that time. they may have over stated the case. where did you find the 'history of auran'?

The author (John Banks) wrote an academic paper specifically dealing with the problems of startup companies in the computer gaming area. He used what happened to Auran as a case study in his paper and the abstract of that paper can still be found on the Queensland University of Technology ePrint site at https://eprints.qut.edu.au/26176/

One last rant: if I buy a Willy Wonka N3V Silver/Golden Ticket before the 1st of the year, or by Christmas ...is it cheapest right now ... or does the cost go up in price next year, in the year 2019 ... or down in price, next year, in the year 2019 ?

The author (John Banks) wrote an academic paper specifically dealing with the problems of startup companies in the computer gaming area. He used what happened to Auran as a case study in his paper and the abstract of that paper can still be found on the Queensland University of Technology ePrint site at https://eprints.qut.edu.au/26176/
thank you. that's a very interesting article, especially from the author's point of view as a past flak-catcher between us and auran. i think something is missing though and it's fundamental. the games are conceptualized from the first by living people out of their experience and understanding of the world. people who don't really know what trains are for and how an economy is created by railroads can't make a train game with any depth. happily, Trainz doesn't need to work on that level and any realworld inclusion into the game seems to have been passively or opportunistically accepted by auran... perhaps just to keep us happy. the concept of the game seems to have always been 'ride in the choo-choo' and shut up. I really, really, don't care about scenery. i'm an MA in art artist-photographer and photo realistic just isn't necessary for me in this game. if i want alps, i'll watch a youtube ride.

The article talks about the democratization of the development phase. mostly, what i've seen happen in the more modern 'rise of industry' and 'machinsky' is a kind of decorating sharing for people who want a certain object added to the game... routes or building types. any attempt, say, to dialog on how and why a train is bringing a carload into a town is downplayed. i think this is because these kids are from EU worlds, where the state owns the railroad... uses the railroad to keep citizens happy by distributing both them and goods around the map. simplest and most re-tard is that you, as owner, can't build a store in the town to receive your own goods. the stalinist model doesn't allow it. And, i'm only saying this as a comment on how trainz is marketed -- why it's marketed in the way it is. the emphasis is on routes, and pre-built routes are pretty but also the most ultimately boring part for anyone into logistics and history. it's nice to drag wheat from montana, but it's way more interesting to model and watch how the first trains into montana invented wheat growing and distribution -- starting from the ground up. I understand that most people live in a very nice world of cabooses and choo-choos, where things just are as they are and that this is 'just a game, live with it'; but i really don't care. i buy the new versions as they come out with the hope that products and routing will work better. just say'n.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it's a pay link if you try to download the file.

John Banks did his doctorate on community driven companies and on how the larger internet communities contribute to how companies operate, are passionate about the products, and even become employees.

In the early to mid-2000s, this was all a new thing and is something we take for granted here.

Here's some articles. The first two are PDFs.

https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/co-creating-videogames-9781849664967/

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/31340/2/c31340.pdf

http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2014/0...rs-an-interview-with-john-banks-part-one.html

http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2014/0...rs-an-interview-with-john-banks-part-two.html

http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2014/0...-an-interview-with-john-banks-part-three.html

http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2014/0...s-an-interview-with-john-banks-part-four.html

The article is of particular interest in part because of the some of the people mentioned in it. :)

Last edited:

2) Get educated on a topic, Before you spew nonsense in a public forum and misguide innocent people reading false facts.

Anything else further is bickering and slowly turning into "no screw you, no, screw you" type post. Smell the roses folks
You might want to read your own post, and take your own advice. I can name companies (just one a month ago) that have closed up shop suddenly without leaving a forwarding address. Which one? I'll use your response: go research it.

Corel was a bad company? I'm sure you are quite the wizard that would have known such things at the time...

Nonsense? Yes, most of your statements are inflammatory and nonsensical. In fact, you are quire uncivil.

People like yourself, are prime example of people not being with the times... with anything tech related. A) choose your companies better, your fault for support Corel. B) If you seriously think a huge multi million company will close shop, and say BYE, then you clearly need to never buy another software title again. You also should never EVER expect product support for life time, and helps to read TOS and fine print.

Here your proof for Valve, https://i.imgur.com/4sa1Ln6.jpg

From steam support.

Want to know N3V? E-mail them. Instead you choose to rant off on a forum, and spew nonsense that you don't even know because you are not educated in the topic.

But its the internet, everyone thinks they know everything and every answer.

No company is going to close shop and leave millions in the dark. Especially not in 2018 with Social Media and instant communication. If this is your worry about ANY software. Please, go to eBay, sell your PC. Buy a PS4 or Xbox and enjoy 1,2,3 steps. This is NOT a worry.

I think this thread is done, and can sum up it two ways.

Nice of you to tell me how to spend my money. Do you work for the government?

Perhaps you need a real, private-sector job to understand why some of us aren't too keen on software companies like N3V effectively destroying thousands of dollars in software, addons, and time spent on creating objects with the flick of a switch.

"Get with the times" is no excuse to destroy people's software and investments. Software companies survived for decades on the proven buy-once model. If they can't now, then they have to look at their own business practices.

Moderators, can we just get rid of this thread? It is not really required any more is it. It is turning into just another argument over pointless stuff.

You might want to read your own post, and take your own advice. I can name companies (just one a month ago) that have closed up shop suddenly without leaving a forwarding address. Which one? I'll use your response: go research it.

Corel was a bad company? I'm sure you are quite the wizard that would have known such things at the time...

Nonsense? Yes, most of your statements are inflammatory and nonsensical. In fact, you are quire uncivil.

Agreed. I never understood these guys who know nothing about IT preaching to those of us with decades in the field how it's supposed to work.

Agreed. I never understood these guys who know nothing about IT preaching to those of us with decades in the field how it's supposed to work.

LOL

I never understood these guys who just because they got 50+ years on their belt, think experience means everything. Even more hilarious is when grey hairs come in asking the young blood for help and then proceed to blame the software and the devs behind it. When really, they lack the updated info for the software. Oh boy oh boy, do I have countless stories on that front. "I make the big bucks, I been doing this before you born son, why this PC not work" "Uh Sir, it helps if you press that big red button". I expect few of you here are those cases as well. Especially reading some support threads...

This thread is useless, and is now just turning into vets of this forum having vets back, when still non-sense is spread. Oh wow, companies closing. Oh no, my game may go dead.

If you don't like any of this, don't buy or support them. Don't post on the forums either, you just wasting your time and their bandwidth. Yet to continue to bicker, yet you all still continue to stay here.

insanity is doing the same thing, expecting different results. You call me uncivil, I can read 12 other post on this thread alone from some long timers here who are not civil. But somehow you guys are 'blinded' by your friends.

Because I pick my companies and products better. Corel is a company that copies other products, and makes them cheaper and less quality. Why on gods earth would I ever buy PaintShop Pro, or WordPerfect X9 when they Chinese copies of the real things. I knew, because I know where to spend my money. Plus you paying for those products? When all these can be had free and Open Source. Or get the real deal from GIMP or Adobe. Don't care what company you talking about, not my problem, I'm not one complaining about your business choices. That's a YOU problem.

Play trainz, get drunk, drink your ensures, and enjoy the damn holidays people

Last edited:
Because I pick my companies and products better. Corel is a company that copies other products, and makes them cheaper and less quality. Why on gods earth would I ever buy PaintShop Pro, or WordPerfect X9 when they Chinese copies of the real things. I knew, because I know where to spend my money. Plus you paying for those products? When all these can be had free and Open Source. Or get the real deal from GIMP or Adobe. Don't care what company you talking about, not my problem, I'm not one complaining about your business choices. That's a YOU problem.

Strangely enough Wordperfect still manages a few tricks that other software doesn't. Probably the reason Microsoft Word dominates is because of Visual Basic. In the corporate world you start with the requirements and when you have the requirements of a few thousand people to take into account even if only one or two of them need to be able to do complex things that require a database connection you end up needing VB.

PSP again if you know the product very well then you have a lot of time invested in it. Anything with a different interface means time must be spent in relearning and for us old fogies that's time wasted when we could be productive.

If you ever reach the ripe old age of 21 you might well start to take things into account that are not immediately obvious until then take life gently and try not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Cheerio John

If you ever reach the ripe old age of 21 you might well start to take things into account that are not immediately obvious until then take life gently and try not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Oh, and now you do the same as before and throw insults to and be uncivil and calling others children. Hmm, funny how it works. Pot calls the kettle black.

Wish I was 21 again, try closer to 30 now. But you know, just call people children instead. Old geezer. Opps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back