Is better 2 SSD - 1 for OS + 1 for Trainz & more - or is better all in a bigger SSD ?

KleinArt

Is better 2 SSD - 1 for OS + 1 for Trainz & more - or is better all in a bigger SSD ?

Hello all. I have to decide how to do the installation on my computer. Now I have an SSD "OCZ Agility 3 128 GB" loaded with the OS. So I can add a second SSD Samsung 256 GB for loading Trainz and more.

But I think if it would be better to load all in one larger disk like a SSD Samsung 512 GB.

What do you think about this. Which is better to achieve faster response runing Trainz?

John

-Trainz would probably run best one a hard drive all by itself. Make sure its big enough to hold future downloaded content. The 256gb would most likely do for quite some time, depending on how much you download.

-Joe

With physical drives having a separate dive for the OS gives the advantage that the head can move to the appropriate track on the OS drive independently of what is happening on the application drive. With SSD there are no heads to physically move so the advantage isn't as much.

Having said that there is no disadvantage either other than cost. With two SSD drives you need say 10% free working space on both drives with one you just need 10% on the total, so with two drives you end up rounding both up with one drive you only do it once.

My suggestion would be if you already have a 128 gig drive available use it and go two drives, if not look at the cost of the space you require and buy the appropriate drive.

Cheerio John

that is my configuration, i have a 128 gig samsung 840 pro as my os drive and a 256 gig vertex 4 for trainz, run8 and railworks, and a 3tb spinner for all my storage, works great here as well.

that is my configuration, i have a 128 gig samsung 840 pro as my os drive and a 256 gig vertex 4 for trainz, run8 and railworks, and a 3tb spinner for all my storage, works great here as well.

But it doesn't actually answer the question which was which is better.

Cheerio John

I wasn't going to say anything, but might as well. I run dual SSDs in RAID0 for boot drive. You could get away with a single SSD for that. I would, however, suggest dual hard drives or SSDs (preferred) for trainz, separate from the boot drive, as it does a lot of writing and reading, especially when on big routes, with all the "eye candy" cranked to highest levels of detailing.

Paul

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate the suggestions from each of you.

I commented that I finally found a chance and bought the SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB. I see that many of you prefer to have 2 SSD doing different tasks. But I figured if Trainz were installed along with the OS, everything would flow faster and easier in a single SSD. As the Samsung 840 Pro is much faster than the OCZ Agility 3 and also must transfer information from one disk to the other in both directions several times, I thought it was better to install everything in the Samsung. Because it says the connection SATA III imposes some delay will always be higher than what it takes that information to circulate within the Samsung.I wonder what you guys think of this idea.

John

I don't see how a single drive would flow faster and easier. Think about this... if you have just one SATA III connected drive doing all the Operating System and Trainz at the same time, that would be flooding that port and others that are unused are free. If you had a second one connected, it would be independently working, make sense? But, good enough, single FAT SSD will work good.

... as it does a lot of writing and reading, especially when on big routes, with all the "eye candy" cranked to highest levels of detailing.

Paul

Hi pdkoester. That is my case. I am creating a route that will be large and in great detail - many columns aerial network drive - and with commercial aircraft. Therefore I would like to know how to achieve much faster response of Trainz.

John

I don't see how a single drive would flow faster and easier. Think about this... if you have just one SATA III connected drive doing all the Operating System and Trainz at the same time, that would be flooding that port and others that are unused are free. If you had a second one connected, it would be independently working, make sense? But, good enough, single FAT SSD will work good.

But if all this work is done within a single SSD, it would avoid the delay imposed SATA III to link the Windows command with those of Trainz. That would save the way out - via SATA III - and input when both SSD exchange information. Or this exchange is done differently?

Done differently, I wouldn't worry at all about the exchange, it is going through to full speed channels, instead of a single pipe, still needs to go through the CPU RAM and GPU. Of course, this is overkill, a single fatty SSD is sufficient. I just don't mind spending a little more to get more performance. I gave up on muscle cars 20 years ago.

Done differently, I wouldn't worry at all about the exchange, it is going through to full speed channels, instead of a single pipe, still needs to go through the CPU RAM and GPU.Of course, this is overkill, a single fatty SSD is sufficient. I just don't mind spending a little more to get more performance. I gave up on muscle cars 20 years ago.

I agree with you. I thought that transit via SATA III could become a light bottleneck.
This clears the picture to me and allows me to make a conclusive decision. So I'll take better advantage of Agility 3 SSD leaving the OS installed there, and Trainz will be installed on the 512 GB Samsung SSD.

I appreciate your contribution. Thank you very much.

Best regards.

John

I had a problem with the SSD Agility 3 and I had to discard it. Now I installed the OS on the Samsung 512 GB (and TS2010), and I can compare the speed of response in each case. I can safely say that the speed is now a little better than with the OS installed on the Agility!

I hope this information will be useful to all fans of Trainz ...

Regards.

John Charles

Back