Importing images into TRS 2022?

jeffmorris

I tried using TransDEM and Basemapz to import images into TRS22 but I had problems. I want to import Open Street Maps images into TRS22 so that I can place tracks in correct places. TransDEM and Basemapz can't handle images for large cities like New York City. Are there better ways of images into TRS22?

TransDEM will handle images by either placing them directly on the terrain service as textures or by placing them on UTM tiles that sit on their own layer and are locked in place.

TransDEM (rolandziegler.de)

It's worth the roughly $26 bucks, whatever it works out to be these days with the Euros to Dollars, for what you want to do.

Your "import images" statement is a little vague on details as to what you are trying to do, but the rest of your message suggests that you've worked with Open Street Maps and TransDEM. TransDEM will work with whatever image you've imported into it. But only geo-referenced images will match up with the terrain. TransDEM will alert you if it thinks a raster map is too big. Most of the time a route will use multiple images placed next to each other. TransDEM will try to do as much as it can, being mostly limited by how much memory is available on your computer.

The pink or scarlet arrow that you use to get TranDEM to produce the "Export to Trainz: Basic Files, DEM and Ground Textures" dialog box. There is a section of the dialog that is labelled "Overlay Bitmap (Ground Texture)" and in this section of the dialog is a checkbox "Ground Texture from Raster Map". If that box is checked, TransDEM will imprint the geo-referenced raster map displayed in TransDEM on the terrain.

The imprinted image resolution is not as good as using UTM tiles, but I use it all the time anyway. The resolution will be limited to 10 meter pixels normally, or 5 meter pixels if you are using the Trainz 5 meter grid setting. The grid setting is in the lower left corner of the same dialog box. Shown as "5 m Grid", it allows three settings; "none" (which will cause TransDEM to use the 10 meter pixels), "Route only" (which may use 5 m pixels around the track and 10 m elsewhere), and "All" (which will use 5 m pixels everywhere). I've never used the "Route only" setting, so I'm guessing on that one.

If you are using Open Street Maps in TransDEM and have made the dialog settings suggested, the map should be imprinted on the terrain.

Also, on TransDEM's "Raster Map" menu is "Map Tile Servers". You've probably used that, but if not, you might want to check TransDEM's instructions for enabling and using map tile servers.

Going back to your initial question, I'm not aware of a method of importing images straight into Trainz. Perhaps others are.

Are there limits to much data can be processed in TransDEM? If I try to export route with ground textures, I get warning that one or more raster maps open have scale of larger than 1 pixel to 2.5m. I think that the number of UTM tiles that can be exported can be more than 25 X 25. How can I fix the problems?

You seem to have a 64-bit machine from the Trainz products you're using. Some operations take two or three times the file sizes for memory.

TransDEM's author would be able to describe the limits better than I can. He has a forum, transdem.de I think. There are numerous How_To pages on different things you can do in creating routes.

You can re-read TransDEMs instructions on doing routes in sections. After importing into Trainz, you can merge the sections together.

Are there limits to much data can be processed in TransDEM? If I try to export route with ground textures, I get warning that one or more raster maps open have scale of larger than 1 pixel to 2.5m. I think that the number of UTM tiles that can be exported can be more than 25 X 25. How can I fix the problems?

It's not a problem, but you have to export tiles as objects. Anyway it's a much better resolution with tiles as objects : (new one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OMuHe82c34

You can do it in TransDEM using the Map Tile servers, but you need to obtain an API key.

I recommend posting a question in Dr. Ziegler's forums on the TransDEM website.

Is there a way of downloading Open Street Maps images and putting them on 2D planes that can be placed on the ground?

I asked questions on TransDEM forum and nobody replied to them. When exporting UTM tiles to files, I had to do one-fourth of the whole map at a time and it worked. Using Surveyor 2.0 to delete unnecessary baseboards was faster than doing it in Surveyor 1.0 but I had to use Surveyor 1.0 to draw rulers and tracks.

I asked questions on TransDEM forum and nobody replied to them. When exporting UTM tiles to files, I had to do one-fourth of the whole map at a time and it worked. Using Surveyor 2.0 to delete unnecessary baseboards was faster than doing it in Surveyor 1.0 but I had to use Surveyor 1.0 to draw rulers and tracks.

I'm glad you figured it out. I'm sorry to hear that no one responded to your post on that forum.

Yes, deleting unnecessary baseboards in Surveyor 2.0 is so easy to do! I learned to delete the contents first if there is anything before deleting the baseboards, otherwise there are bits of things left over like trees and bits of tracks and roads.

The rulers have been recently updated to spline objects, so the old clumsy ones are obsolete. This is true for both S1 and S2.

Back