I give up.... Trackpan contest!

Jimmyp4

Ok, the few of you who saw my last layout plan, forget it. I quickly found out that the rapid temperature change and dust destroyed the track and electronics quickly.

My mom gave me permisson to build my layout in the backroom indoors (YES!).
But after a month and a half of trackplaning I'm stuck. So heres where you come in....

layout.jpg

I want to know if some people on the fourm can come up with a good trackplan for me.
Design Criteria
1. The line is based around WWII
2. This line is a shortline so try to keep the towns small and the number of turnouts to a minimum
3. All the possible table space must be used (I cannot remove or add to the layout), but leave room for scenery
4. Minimum radius: Mainline: 22", Yards 18"
5. The line is still steam powered so I need water towers and a coal dock somewhere along the way.
6. I want to include an interchange (I don't care what kind) somewhere for a supposive link to my friend Adam's layout.
7. A mine is a must have and I have choosen a corner I prefer although it can be other places
8. One of the towns at the end of the line MUST have water visable.
9. There can be industrys along the right of way inbetween towns.
10. This is a country, hilly, type of area I'm modeling so I don't want too much overcrouding.

If you need to know anything else let me know.

Have fun.

Hehe, i remember doing crap like that on sheets of paper when I was younger (still young too....). thankfully after my G Scale layout I did in my back yard, I have learned what mistakes NOT to make again (like buying a big locomotive and little curves....that was pretty stupid)

Good thing is, its a big loop, even with small curves, my engine can handle it....at slower speeds

Ok, enough rambling, lesson for the day, make sure you think, think some more, and then think it all over again before you even consider building anything

A trackpan? :hehe:

Would I dare suggest using trainz as a design tool
Umm pommie that was my line - well sort of! I was going to say "a train simulator" instead, such as Hornby's what-ever-their-simulator-is-called.

My mom gave me permisson to build my layout in the backroom indoors (YES!).
You mean to say that you have a "spare" room as large as 10 x 13 ft?? (For those that use only metric that's 304.8 x 396.24cm , oops I mean that are "imperially challenged")

Jimmy, in the end, it's really up to you. I'm not going to say what you should do, but what scale & ratio will it be?

Would 2ft be wide enough? I find it MAY be hard to leave space for scenery on a board only 2ft wide, unless it's either standard or narrow gauge in N. It sounds like one of those end-to-end plans.

By the way, say it was a public layout, where would the "viewing side" be from? And where you prefer the mine, is that corner against a wall?

You say it's a short line, I'm not sure, but wouldn't just a water tower be likely to be only at the ends, or maybe one at or near the middle as well?

Last edited:
I give up traqckplan contest

Jimmyp4 that is a nice size for a model railroad suggest either N Guage or OO as regards the layout suggest you look at the 132 mile run od the Dymchurch Romney and Hythe Light Railway very famour line still in use with perfect scale working steam locos it could suit nearly all your requirements

Hehe, i remember doing crap like that on sheets of paper when I was younger (still young too....). thankfully after my G Scale layout I did in my back yard, I have learned what mistakes NOT to make again (like buying a big locomotive and little curves....that was pretty stupid)

Good thing is, its a big loop, even with small curves, my engine can handle it....at slower speeds

Ok, enough rambling, lesson for the day, make sure you think, think some more, and then think it all over again before you even consider building anything
No kidden, in the last 3 months I've already ripped up 2 differnt layouts after I started building them and really messed up.

Would I dare suggest using trainz as a design tool

Cheers David
I have tryed, I just can't seem to get the corners and stuff to look right yet.

You mean to say that you have a "spare" room as large as 10 x 13 ft?? (For those that use only metric that's 304.8 x 396.24cm , oops I mean that are "imperially challenged")

Jimmy, in the end, it's really up to you. I'm not going to say what you should do, but what scale & ratio will it be?

Would 2ft be wide enough? I find it MAY be hard to leave space for scenery on a board only 2ft wide, unless it's either standard or narrow gauge in N. It sounds like one of those end-to-end plans.

By the way, say it was a public layout, where would the "viewing side" be from? And where you prefer the mine, is that corner against a wall?

You say it's a short line, I'm not sure, but wouldn't just a water tower be likely to be only at the ends, or maybe one at or near the middle as well?
No its not a spare room, My mom is letting me use the wall around the family room. 2ft is about all I can have as there is a pool table and a TON of bookshelfs and cabinets on the other wall. The 5 foot extension could go all the way down.... but we ain't movin the couch in the TV room.
Unfortunatly a switch to N scale would be impossible, I already have the equipment for the layout (already lettered in "Choctaw Lake and Western" too) in HO scale.
The viewing part of the layout would be from inside the U of the layout as that is the ONLY place thats open, (its already a squeese by the pool table).
If anywhere I would put the water tower near the middle somwhere.

Jimmyp4 that is a nice size for a model railroad suggest either N Guage or OO as regards the layout suggest you look at the 132 mile run od the Dymchurch Romney and Hythe Light Railway very famour line still in use with perfect scale working steam locos it could suit nearly all your requirements
Sorry but I'm more interested in American themed railroads, but thanks for the sugestion.

Well after going over my equipment I found that the best way to go is a tourist railroad with a mainline interchange. I would prefer it to be based on a prototyipcal railroad museum somewhere in the united states if possible.

Hope to hear back from you shortly..
Jimmy

Now that the problem is solved, I would like to inform you as friendly as possible that your sig is against the Code of Conduct (CoC) of these forums.

Section 18,
"# Signature banners may not cover an area greater than 800 pixels in width, 100 pixels in height and may not have a total file size greater than 30kb."

Cheers David

Back