I found a way to recover from a corrupted route...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
... if you have your data backed up, that is.

Let me explain. Due to issues with that lovely Windows 8, I've had a few crashes while using Trainz. Sadly, one of the crashes ate a route I was working on. I had a few crashes to the desktop, then eventually switch levers disappeared. Then finally the route wouldn't even open. I felt my heart sink to my feet, but before I panicked, I did a little poking around... I then remembered that the data is held in folders that begin with Hash- something, and inside each of the folders is the data. If you open up the folders, you see nothing other than a config.chump, which is useless for us in that format.

It happens that I do full Userdata folder backups quite frequently to another local location, and other drives. The most recent backup was two days ago, which wasn't that bad, and I didn't have any CDPs that were too recent, otherwise I would have done that instead.

Here's how I restored just what I wanted which was my route and session.

1) Go into Content Manager, and get the KUID number of the route or asset you want to restore. Remember to grab any session or sessions too.
2) Delete that asset. (Yup, I gulped and then went for it.) This saves the overwrite message if you want. I actually backed the route and session up to a CDP just in case!
3) Close Content Manager.
4) Open up your backup drive, or folder.
5) Use Windows Search to find the KUID of the item you want. Press F3 to bring up the search window.
6) In the search box, put in the author's KUID number and hit enter. Make sure you are searching just that Userdata folder.

The search will pick up your data based on the KUID numbers. You'll see something like this: kuid 124863 100586 followed by kuid 124863 100587, etc., for example. Each will be listed below each other. I used list view to sort by date to find the item I wanted.

7) When the search is completed, and you've found the asset or assets you are looking for, copy those folders to another location. I put mine in a temporary folder.
8) Open up Content Manager
9) Choose Import Content from the File Menu

10) Let CM do its thing.

11) Ensure that the data has been committed unless you have that option checked by default like I do.

12) Close CM, and launch Trainz again.

You're back in business, and let's hope whatever ate the route in the first place isn't there anymore. Just remember you need to have the data backed up elsewhere for this to work. I haven't tried it, but the backup folder should work, if the back folders exist, using a browse in CM to the Userdata/backup and then choosing an earlier date.

John

I'm pretty paranoid about losing anything so I have my entire Trainz folder backed up to a RAID 1 array, plus all my payware locos and my own work are also backed up to a thumb drive (minus dependencies, which are easy enough to download again).

I would have to have an SSD plus 2 hard drives fail and lose my thumb drive before worrying.

I'm pretty paranoid about losing anything so I have my entire Trainz folder backed up to a RAID 1 array, plus all my payware locos and my own work are also backed up to a thumb drive (minus dependencies, which are easy enough to download again).

I would have to have an SSD plus 2 hard drives fail and lose my thumb drive before worrying.

I am paranoid too. That's why I have backups in about 3 different places including DVDs for my payware downloads. :)

The problem with having over 300GB of downloads, since I've had Trainz for almost 10 years, importing all the content again takes too long. Finding just the items I needed was easier by searching the folders. If the import content in Content Manager allowed for importing a few things, by clicking on a single folder or too this would make things a lot easier, but sadly it is not. It's an all or nothing from the folder. The same with opening up CDPs. That too is an all or nothing approach too. Yes we can see the content, but we can't pick and choose what we need to restore or install.

John

Back