How Would I Make Content

motorbridge

Northeast TrainMan
hi i'm a huge fan of Shore Line East, NJT, VRE, and SEPTA. I also bought trainz classics and i love cab signaling! So basically how could I make Locomotives, Cab cars, and coaches with cab signals for Trainz Classics?

Hi,

I've never created loco's or rolling stock. I dont think you need to make a new Loco for adding the Cab Signal (CSS) on your trains.

Here is from the Trainz Railwayz manual:
Cab Signals:
"Add the object 'Signal MN 01 CabSignal' from the Track Panel / Trackside Objects. This signal controls the states that will be shown by the Cab signaling. The signal is only visible in Surveyor and the aspects are only visible in Driver on the In-Cab signal."
I would like to aslo say that all the locos in the game (dont know about the Tram's) will display a working Cab Signal System (CSS). Simply add a new rule for the session. (Sorry cant remembe what rule that was)
Computerized In-Cab Display:
"The computerized M7 cab digitally displays various thecnical and safe working data. It can also display the next station name. Add a trigger at the point along the track where you would like the next station name to light up in the cab. The naming convention is simple. If the next station is 'Anytown' then name that trigger as follows...xxAnytown The name will be displayed untill the tran passes another station name trigger. To blank the display add another trigger named xx_"

I know it sounds very confusing and it took me several times to figure out what they were exactly talking about. But it does work and its cool.

Hope this helps
Mike S.

3D objects for Trainz can be made in several programs. Most people use gmax which is freeware. However, it is generally agreed that learning how to use gmax is difficult. On the other hand, succeeding with it is all the more rewarding.

You can download gmax free of charge from TurboSquid here.

You also need the Trainz Content Creation Pack (also called the Trainz Asset Creation Studio) which can be downloaded (again free of charge) from here.

Work through the first few of gmax's own tutorials to understand its fundamental operation.

Then there is a very useful page of links to tutorials for using gmax to make objects for Trainz here. Start with the Brick Box Tutorial, it is by far the simplest (but still not easy).

If you want to go further, a good book to purchase is "gmax Bible" by Kelly Murdock. It's quite expensive though.

If all this is too daunting and you want to have a play with making 3D objects in a simple way just to see how it works (but the results are not easily transferable to Trainz), try the freeware version of Google SketchUp.

Hope this helps, John

Creating 3d objects does have a very steep learning curve, but it is worthwhile learning how to do it. Starting off small, with boxes, houses and such like, is better than trying to jump in the deep end. Believe me, I tried it that way. After you are comfortable making buildings and so on, you can move towards rolling stock, and locos. Rolling stock is easier to do, in some cases, than locos, especially boxcars. Just take it slow, don't rush yourself and you should come good in due time.

Chris

After you have finally built an object, I have found the steepest learning curve to be getting the textures correct. The best constructed object with all the pieces placed just so will still look awful if the texture is off.

Unless you're an artist, digital cameras are a great way to get realistic looking textures. If you always keep a small camera with you when traveling, you can quickly build up a library of textures. No need to save huge picture files since the final images will be pretty small.

Good luck, start small and don't give up. It's a wonderful feeling when you later need a new object and then you just make it.

Eventually you'll reach the point where you'll be looking at a building or bridge or other object and wondering how many polys you would need to create a copy for your route.

I found UVW mapping very difficult to get my head round. Still working on trying to understand animations! All good fun...

John

how would i do the horns and bells? Flashing Ditch Lights?

Also if anyone can find me some cab pics of VRE,SEPTA,Shore Line East, and NJT it would be appreciated!

I'd do the model first if I were you, the sounds are relatively easy compared to the 3D model. The hard bits are cabs and textures (but you don't need to do a custom cab at first).

Paul

Back