How to make a Multiplayer Scenario?

Justin34e

Hi guys. I have a question, how does one go about making a multiplayer scenario for Trainz? My wife and I both have copies, as well as copies of the Settle and Carlisle expansion and I would love to do some multiplayer stuff with it. How would I go about achieving this? I remember reading somewhere that the scenario would have to be uploaded to the DLS, but how would that work with requiring a payware addon to play? Thanks!

I don,t think you will be permitted to upload a payware route and session to the DLS. Any kind of payware included in a multi player upload is frowned apon and you want to upload an entire route! To put it another way The Settle and Carlisle is payware. Once you have uploaded it there is nothing to stop other players downloading it for free! I,m sure N3V will be impressed!

I don,t think you will be permitted to upload a payware route and session to the DLS. Any kind of payware included in a multi player upload is frowned apon and you want to upload an entire route! To put it another way The Settle and Carlisle is payware. Once you have uploaded it there is nothing to stop other players downloading it for free! I,m sure N3V will be impressed!

That's what I thought, which is a pure shame. So much great payware out there (I have SnC and the Blue Comet, my wife SnC, the Duchess, the Coronation Scot, and Murchison), but their usefulness is limited. So many great MP opportunities that can't come to pass.

I hope in some later iteration of the game or a patch Auran enables the ability to make local MP sessions that don't need the DLS, because I would dearly love some sessions with payware.

That is one of the things I do enjoy about Railworks 3, there are tons of new scenarios being made using payware content, whereas Trainz payware not only doesn't come with scenarios (in the case of the single loco packs, at any rate) but also, new scenarios can't be had.

There's a good reason why Auran/N3V have set it up that it requires built-in or DLS assets - consistency.

If payware or third-party assets was included (and if N3V did decide to allow it), that would make it harder for others to use the route/session, and in the case of payware, would cause quite a few complaints from users who cannot afford to buy said payware. Also, using third-party content means users having to search for it, which is not easy to do.

Shane

Think the payware bit has been answered, so let me answer the first part of your question in case you want to do it with non-payware stuff:
Hi guys. I have a question, how does one go about making a multiplayer scenario for Trainz?
Create a session (not a route) and add the "Multiplayer rule" to it. Then upload that session to the DLS.

Actually, look at this thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?84646-SnC-Add-On-and-Multiplayer

According to Zec Murphy who is a Customer Support Rep,
The S&C, Murchison 2, Classic Cabon City, Treez, Blue Comet, PRR T-1, Aerotrain, Duchess Class and Coronation Scot can all be used with Multiplayer, as they will all show as 'built-in' content within Trainz.

For the S&C pack, you will not be able to use any of the additional content from the 'S&C' website, as this content is not from the download station or built-in.
Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.​

That would make it seem that one can in fact make scenarios for payware add ons.

Dont confuse scenerios with sessions. They are actually two different things. If you would like a Multiplayer session, the easiest way to pick one of the built-in routes. Add your engines and rollingstock, the easiest to make sure its built-in is to apply the filter "built-in"=True. (This is done in surveyor, the funnel on the top bar.) Save your session, add a thumbnail to the session. And then upload it to the DLS. Once it is on the DLS, delete the session in Content Manager (CM) (but save a backup to .cdp just in case). Download the session from the DLS and you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps,
hert:wave:

I normally wouldn't dispute something from N3V, but in this case I can see a potential problem here.

In the case of payware addons, whilst it may be built-in, this is only the case for the user who has created the MP session.

Any users that download the MP session would automatically have missing dependencies unless they too have the payware content installed.

As it basically goes, the session has references to the content in the config.txt file, but does not include the actual content in the .cdp file.

Shane

If all of the assets and the route that you wish to use are considered built-in, then there should be nothing stopping you creating a multiplayer session and uploading it (just the session) to the DLS. Other users who have the same DLC would be able to join the multiplayer session, but users who do not have it would be unable to join.

chris

but that now raises another question as well. If you import the .ja's from say TRS2009 would those also be considered as 'built-in' as they are built-in into one version but not the other or would that cause other issues?

If that content can be found on the DLS, as with most (if not all) of the content buildin in any version, you should be able to use that in a route and session used for multiplayer, since everyone (with a registered version) can download it.

Back