How to improve framerate Windows 7 and Alienware

pdwood

Building in the mountains
Anybody who knows about these things?

I have recently bought a new machine Alienware M17x laptop that should have enough specs to do most things but the framerate in TS2010 is still not as good as I would expect even though all other aspects work well (no crashes, manages all the downloads and Trainz patches without problems, etc). But how can I improve framerates (more than just by using the adjustments in the TS2010 programme)??

These are the specs (mostly translated to English from Norwegian):

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Alienware M17x
System type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz, 1730 MHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
BIOS-version/-date Alienware A06, 22.06.2010
SMBIOS-version 2.6
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed physical memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Physical memory total 3,99 GB
Physical memory available 2,55 GB
Virtual memory total 7,98 GB
Virtual memory available 6,00 GB
place for sidevekslingsfil 3,99 GB
Sidevekslingsfil C:\pagefile.sys
Screen/video ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
RAM video card: 1,00 GB (1 073 741 824 byte)

Any suggestions? All help appreciated.

pdw
Norway:eek:

Last edited:
Go into the ATI Catalyst (?) control center and adjust to performance than quality this should give a slight boost to frame rate but will reduce the overall quality some.

try also disabling background processes through Tack Manager, processes such as msnmgr.exe - MSN Messenger run even when the program isnt active or logged in at all although ensure you dont disapble system processes and your internet security software as precautions

Hope this helps a little
Nathan

You could try increasing the Page File Size.

Another idea which I have used myself is to disable or delete those of the inbuilt Routes which you don't use - or if you don't use any delete them all and work on your own Routes.

Adding these lines to your trainz options may help.
-keepallresources=1
-Resourcememory=???? set this to 50% of your total ram.

You can only try
For more info search . Trainzoptions txt. modifications/additions.
It's a post from donkeys back that I keep as a favourite.
icon10.gif
Trainzoptions.txt modifications/additions?

Last edited:
i really wouldnt modify the trainzoptions with TS2010. i have tried many of the old settings and found they dont do anything to help at all. what kind of framerates are you getting? do you have one or two video cards? either way, it should be able to handle trainz. i dont see any issues with your specs that you have listed.

what kind of HDD is in it?

I read an article: "100 Minute Test" here in the forum, and multiple experienced persons Trainzoptions file configurations made little or no measurable difference in framerates, than the factory settings.

The framerates were improved marginaly, only by several single digits, if any.

Last edited:
If you are going to mess with trainzoptions, be sure you can get back to default. Is there a default button?

No there is no default button. Make a copy of everything in MS Wordpad.. that way you can revert to original

Its only text ... there are dozens of Trainzoptions threads to recover your settings

Last edited:
Ok many thanks for all the advice from many of you. :) It is great to get a response on things like this.

On balance it sounds as though there are no quick and easy "fixes" though - I just put it down to the limitations of Trainz and my laptop - which as Zec says is not recommended in any case to run Trainz.

I will go through all the suggestions in any case to see if any are ikley to make a significant difference. If I discover any major improvements you will be the first to know!

pdw
Oslo

Hi pdw,

Another thing you can try. Alienware is made by Dell, check how much 'junk ware' programs they have loaded on your laptop.
Software companies pay to have 'demo' versions of their programs installed on new computers.
Uninstall any thing that you do not need.
If you have an office suite like MS Office or Open Office go into 'Options' and search until you find a box that when you deselect it stops the program loading into memory at start up.
Doing the above could free up memory and the processor.

Hope this helps you,
Lindsay

Alienware computers never come with junkware, at least none of the 3 ive had did. they were all pristine windows installs when i got them.

What screen size (resolution) are you using, that has an impact on frame rates, so does the amount of video RAM, you need 1GB (2 is better)

You should see 25-40FPS anything less you need to solve a few things, much more than 50FPS you dont need

.... I just put it down to the limitations of Trainz and my laptop - which as Zec says is not recommended in any case to run Trainz.....
:eek: He does? You have an i7 processor, an HD5870 card and 4GB of RAM. Whats not to like? Is Trainz allergic to laptops or something?

Paul (who has similar specs on his desktop and gets fantastic framerates from TS10)

its easier to just not support anyone using a laptop thats all, because then you have laptops from wal mart people will try to buy and run trainz on, this would probably be 90% of the 'trainz wont work on my laptop' cases. you cant expect that kind of power from those types. and then there are those like myself who will get entire desktop replacement laptops.

But you would accept that a laptop with these specs should be able to run TS10 with room to spare?

Paul

My laptop is not from staples and it cost almost $1,100. It plays trainz with no problems really. It plays trainz around 30-45 framereates per second.

But you would accept that a laptop with these specs should be able to run TS10 with room to spare?

Paul

yes i certainly would, however, just like he pointed out, mention that to them and they say, "yea but its a laptop and therefore isnt supported". thats the end of the conversation.

What screen size (resolution) are you using, that has an impact on frame rates, so does the amount of video RAM, you need 1GB (2 is better)

You should see 25-40FPS anything less you need to solve a few things, much more than 50FPS you dont need

I am using resolution 1280 x 800 x 60 hertz but not sure where I can find the FPS? Where can I check this?

Thanks

PDW

:eek: He does? You have an i7 processor, an HD5870 card and 4GB of RAM. Whats not to like? Is Trainz allergic to laptops or something?

Paul (who has similar specs on his desktop and gets fantastic framerates from TS10)

True - Zec says that no laptops are supported by Auran because they generally use limited (half) video cards, whereas desktops usually have better (full) video cards. Not that I know much about it, but that is the answer from Zec.

PDW

its easier to just not support anyone using a laptop thats all, because then you have laptops from wal mart people will try to buy and run trainz on, this would probably be 90% of the 'trainz wont work on my laptop' cases. you cant expect that kind of power from those types. and then there are those like myself who will get entire desktop replacement laptops.

You "norfolksouthern37" have very good specs on an Alienware MX17 ??? :) I like it!

What would you recommend me to upgrade?

PDW

Back