GPU Overheating

I just need it to work until taxes but I haven't taken the fan out of the heatsink yet and or cleaned the underside. I think I'm going to do that next but the fan spun half speed for a hour or two then it stopped. But I think it is jammed on the underside.

The bearings can also just be worn out which can cause the fan to stop spinning as well, or run at a severely reduced speed and it will eventually die out all together or become stuck in place.

On some of the older GPUs you could possibly replace the heatsink, however it would never really work and never was really worth it. I had an old card have the same issue and I just had to throw it out as it was not reasonable to save it.

Having been in the situation a while back where I had a dead fan and couldn't afford a new card or find a suitable fan in my box of bits, with a bit of bodging, I stuck a case fan on to the heatsink with cable ties round the PCB and powered it off a spare molex, worked fine for 18 months when I replaced it, main drawback was it covered up 3 slots on the mobo with the fan stuck on it and it was a bit noisy! but it worked. Another dodge I've used in the past was again using a case fan. Use double sided sticky pads and stick on top of the adjacent slot so it blows directly at the heatsink, just needs watching to make sure it don't fall off! Super glue is better if you have no use for the slot.

Having been in the situation a while back where I had a dead fan and couldn't afford a new card or find a suitable fan in my box of bits, with a bit of bodging, I stuck a case fan on to the heatsink with cable ties round the PCB and powered it off a spare molex, worked fine for 18 months when I replaced it, main drawback was it covered up 3 slots on the mobo with the fan stuck on it and it was a bit noisy! but it worked. Another dodge I've used in the past was again using a case fan. Use double sided sticky pads and stick on top of the adjacent slot so it blows directly at the heatsink, just needs watching to make sure it don't fall off! Super glue is better if you have no use for the slot.

And plug it into sysfan 1 or 2 and set in bios to run at a minmum 90% ?

Last edited:
i just need to keep the Graphics card working until I make enough for an Radeon 7750. I have 50 but I need another 60-70. But I am replacing the fan, going to amazon.

Back