how to get permission to release reskinned jointedrail freeware reefers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just made a reskin of a jointedrail reefer it was a reskin of the UP one from this pack
http://jointedrail.com/product/reefer-3-pack/
slenderman8888_20170308_0001.jpg

thanks ;)

You have to get permission BEFORE you modify the asset. For any use. I don't know what JR's policy with reskinning is, but I suggest you contact them before any legal action or something along those lines is taken.

Since when?

Eh it depends on your interpretation of the law. You can read US copyright law to mean that you need permission before you do anything (and I think normally this is the legal standard) However here in the Trainz community we tend to operate under the understanding that you are welcome to reskin things without permission as long it stays on your computer.

peter

Since when?
I was talking about Trainz model builders who want permission to modify their content. I guess it's common courtesy. Edit: Slenderman, what is Jointed Rail's policy for modifying their assets? Do you know? I don't have any JR stuff downloaded right now so I can't view anything in CM.

Last edited:
It doesn't depend on your interpretation of the law.
You are perfectly fine to do whatever with the content you have for personal use.
Slender is doing the correct thing: asking for permission to distribute the changed assets.

He said something about putting it on his site. I assumed he was releasing it. Personal use, of course he can do whatever he wants with it. That I understand.

And did you read the title of the topic?

You started about needing permission for everything. That is clearly not the case.
He is asking for the permission he needs.

Last edited:
You are perfectly fine to do whatever with the content you have for personal use.
Slender is doing the correct thing: asking for permission to distribute the changed assets.

NO YOUR NOT !! What right do you have to tell folks what they can do with my work , Your a moderator you should know damn better than posting information like that !!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Just one question ....
Did you open the config file, and read their license agreement??

I would think they would have made things clear in their config file about such things!

Regards
Ish

NO YOUR NOT !! What right do you have to tell folks what they can do with my work , Your a moderator you should know damn better than posting information like that !!!
If it is done on their computer and is not shared, unfortunately there isn't much you can do to stop it. This user is trying to do the right thing by asking who to contact for permission before a potential release.

Hello,

I think O advise here is solid and sound.

Regards
Ish

If it is done on their computer and is not shared, unfortunately there isn't much you can do to stop it. This user is trying to do the right thing by asking who to contact for permission before a potential release.

The trouble is folks like to show off what they've done and that point a screenshot illustrating a change of the original author's work is a form of distribution , It is also an illustration that the reskinner cannot conform to the license agreement and is in breach of it .

I have an ongoing agreement on here with N3V that allows me to report a post where there is a clear breach of my licence agreement in a screenshot , they asked for me to agree to that to prevent possible arguments , especially where other users feel the need to inject their own take on the law . In this case a moderator has just undermined that agreement !! Moderators should moderate and uphold the rules of the forum , not use the forums for their own agenda !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back