How is Vista doing for Trainz?

railroy19

I'm looking into a new computer and I think all you can get now is Vista.
Will trs2006 work ok or should I just upgrade my computer with more Ram instead of a new computer.
I have a great video card and 1.25 gig of memory and I can get 24fps average on Josefpav's Marias pass route. I don't know if that's good or bad judging with the new computers

Any suggestions?

Thanks All.
Bob:) .

TRS2006 works fine on Vista, CMP needs a bit of tweaking, instructions are on this forum somewhere.

I just drove the Cut Bank scenario for a couple of minutes, frame rate on my computer was 45/50 fps.

pixel

I'm looking into a new computer and I think all you can get now is Vista.
Will trs2006 work ok or should I just upgrade my computer with more Ram instead of a new computer.
I have a great video card and 1.25 gig of memory and I can get 24fps average on Josefpav's Marias pass route. I don't know if that's good or bad judging with the new computers

Any suggestions?

Thanks All.
Bob:) .

24 fps is the same as film so anything faster and you won't notice any difference. I'd suggest upgrading to 2.5 gigs of memory for the moment until they sort out the problems on the video memory side of Vista. Could you upgrade the cpu as well without changing the motherboard?

Cheerio John

Thanks for the replies.

My computer can only use two gigs of memory so that is all I can install.

As for changing the CPU I haven't a clue if that is possible??
The one in the computer is 1.8 Gig and I don't know if a faster one can be installed or not. I have a dell XPS 8100 if that's any help.

Bob

Hum, if its a Dell XPS then its likley to be a P4 running at 1.8ghz, do a google search for CPUZ, then take a screen shot of the program running, that will give us all the info we need to help you.

Vista does work well, but in order to make the most out of Vista you need 4gb of RAM, and a decent GPU, ie an ATI x1900/2000 series and up or Nvidia 7900/8600 and up.

If you can download CPUZ we can have a look at what potential CPU you could upgrade too.

Hope this helps

Sam

The hotfix for this problem is available from Micrsoft's download center.

Here is the explanation and link to the download.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

John

There appear to be some other video issues as well although this one is the most serious. Hotfixes are not tested quite as throughly as a service pack etc. For the moment my personal view is Vista isn't quite ready for Trainz, I'd prefer to hold off a little.

Cheerio John

Vista is ready...are you?

8) I have Vista Premium in a new HP computer.

I deleted the User Account, and shut off User Accounts Control (UAC).

I have learned to configure all .exe installer files to "Run As Administrator," FIRST, then open the installer file.

I have successfully installed and use gmax...

TRS2004,

And on TRS2006, I followed the "fresh install (sticky) post" to the letter, and used Windows Task Manager to shut off all unneeded programs, and the anti-virus software, and firewall, to auto restart at the next start-up.

After I installed '06, I ran the SP1 service pack, then ran TRS2006.

Then restart the computer.

Through-out the study of Vista, I have found that to understand the built-in security features, is the way to figure out how to successfully install and run all programs.

It's kind of like using CMP to fix a TRS2004 file to run in '06

Here is a copy of a post showing the changes that have to be made in the bin file of TRS2006:

Reply to post of Vista problems...by Alan Yeomans
I can't edit the post that link applies to so I thought I would post this amendment.
In the link above Overmars stated that for him these changes need to be done when you first install Trs2006 and sp1 and it didn't work when he first tried it.
Now if you are going to reinstall trs2006 and sp1 "the correct way", besides following the sp1 install instructions exactly, is to make sure that when you install that you right click on the setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator" let it install then do the same for the sp1 patch file.
Then the first time you start TRS as per the sp1 install instructions again right click and select "Run as Administrator".
This is also how you should install other "older (legacy) programs" in Vista so as to avoid problems latter
Then you should do the changes to the /bin application files by right clicking on each file listed below and select the properties page for the file and then select the compatibility page. On this page at the bottom is the privilege Level, select "run this program as an administrator" .
Select apply and then OK.
These are the files I changed -
CCP
CCPConsole
Content Manager
trainzutil
TPS2006
It has been suggested by others that you might also need to change the other application files as well. These would be -
gsc
gse
launcher
openGL extensions
Trainz
TrainzDiag
You may also need to add to the trainzoptions.txt file in the /trs2006 folder the following line
-intro=disable
Now it should work assuming that you also also have the latest graphics driver from the maker of you graphics card that did not come from Microsoft Update, ie you downloaded it from their website ( ATI, Nvidia or Intel) and installed it correctly.
I hope this helps
John

Thanks for all of your replies:)

With my knowledge of computers it looks like I better stick with what I have right now and just upgrade to more memory in my computer and see what happens. If I try to make changes in files I know I will s#$^& it up and then nothing will work. Better for me leave well enough alone!!

Again much Thanks to All of you.
Bob

...master of all marketing...MS

8) My reply is of course not to sell Vista.

Vista comes default in most new PC-Monitor Bundles.

Unless you spec another OS, like WindowsXP, you configure what you have.

Of course I cannot displace Linux, or any other OS, or even browser choice.

Support issues are changing from day to day, so whatever you go with, study any material you can find, and even make shortcuts, and add the information in an easy to find folder(like Documents).

None of this technology is easy...that's a plain and simple fact. If it were, we would all be selling Os's, and training the rest of the world to use them!

But WindowsXP, fast became the most user friendly system in the world. My point is, after all the security updates, and visual features were added...we have Windows Vista.

Back