Hoosac Tunnel Trip...

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
From 11 Oct 2014 to 17 Oct 2014, Steamboateng and I took a road trip out to North Adams to visit with the folks at the state heritage park and the city historical society. Mike has been working on a project for these people which we started back in December 2013. I've since stepped aside and participate on smaller aspects, and or on an as needed basis. We found that two route builders tend to get in each other's way, and it's best to let one do the plunking of stuff while the other adds support. So Mike decided to work on the route, and I gladly stepped aside to do other things with the project. It was safer that way, and the best way to remain as friends rather than becoming foes!

Anyway, the folks at the societies of course had lots of questions and so did we. They thought we had disappeared, which I guess volunteers do all the time. We told them that the process has been slow, and with the upcoming program changes, summer travels, and what not, things tended to crawl along. There were many unknowns regarding the buildings in the Freight Yard complex. This was once a group of buildings associated with the Boston and Maine (B&M) operations in some fashion or another. There is still the old B&M freight house, which houses the state park/gateway museum on the cities technology history, and it's association with the building of the Hoosac Tunnel. There are many artifacts from the tunnels construction including insulators, old copper catenary, lots of old photos, and even some model railroad displays. This is where we come in as we will be putting together a video, for then to present on the tunnel rather than a Trainz route since they have no computer capable of running Trainz, nor a budget to purchase anything.

Back to the Freight Yard as it's called today. There are a bunch of building in this complex, which were owned by another company including a coal and grain dealer, hardware and lumber, the separate B&M freight house, and other buildings, mostly offices and warehouses. These are now listed buildings and today house some smaller businesses such as an awesome restaurant and bar, the Freight Yard Pub, the historical society, some other shops, and the heritage museum in the B&M freight house. The coal company and the B&M freight house are of the biggest interest to us at the moment since there were things we couldn't figure out from photographs. The coal company, for example, is a two-storied building. There was once a rail spur behind the building, however, today there isn't enough space. Apparently in the mid-1980s, the city and state shored up the slope and now the space is filled in. Also how did the coal get brought into the building? There isn't enough room for the track to slope or room for a drop chute or conveyor in the back even if the hill wasn't shored up with a concrete wall, nor are there any signs of one being there previously. It turns out they used an old bucket conveyor to manually take coal that was dumped on the ground. A simple solution to a rather simple (complex?) question. The B&M freight house also now has a funny angle on the west end. This wasn't due to tracks running on this end of the building which we thought. Instead it's due to urban renewal and the 1950s bridge across the yard and the river. A substantial hunk of the building was cut off it turns out. Finding the actual length is going to be a chore, I think, and we'll opt for a generic building, with proper skinning to depict this building. The B&M used lots of these buildings on their lines, and finding another one should (note the word, should) be a bit easier than we think.

There were also a lot more tracks in the freight yard complex as well back in the early days. These of course are long gone, but figuring out where they went has been a chore, and where they entered the yard. Using some older photos, we've been able to get a bit of a lay of the land and the location of the tracks. It's hard to believe that there were probably 3 or 4 tracks, plus the sidings along the B&M freight house, all jammed into this tiny space. Add to this the catenary on the mainline, and this must've been quite the scene back in the day.

In addition to speaking with the museum guys, we took some road trips to the East Portal, up to Hoosick Falls, and as far east as East Deerfield. It was interesting to see the grade and the hard work the railroad workers went through to build the line through the mountain valley, then through the tunnel, which was the longest tunnel in the world when it opened in 1877, and it stood as the record until the Canadian Pacific built it's tunnels through the Canadian Rockies. North Adams its self was a tiny north borough of Adams, Mass, and split off in 1878, after the tunnel opened, into a separate town then later a city. If it wasn't for the Hoosac Tunnel, this wouldn't have happened as this served as a gateway connection between the two biggest cities in the region, Albany NY to the west and Boston to the far east on Boston Harbor. With this the numerous textile, shoe, and other manufacturing companies opened up since they could receive their raw materials faster, and transport finished goods out and off to market in a shorter period of time.

Anyway, as the project progresses we will still have many questions not answered and will be journeying back again in the spring. I will be posting some pictures of our trip in another thread that Mike took at a later time.

John

Good write up, John. Looking forward to the pix and your commentary.
You forgot to mention the great food, lively conversations, and awesome bar bills!
Oh, by the way, you're are the lucky recipient of my 1000th post on these new Forums. Your prize is black sweatshirt (somewhat used) and a bag of cinnamon doughnuts!

Keep on Trainzin.

Good to hear.

I would mention that yards, particularly in tight spaces, have long been known to be "Tight and cramped" Places where you'd as likely break your arm if you so much as stuck your hand out a window at speed as anything else. Just make sure you lay that track CLOSE! lol. I read a story from the MLW Stacy St Yard in Seattle about a young switchman that went running after a run away box car, caught up to, got to the front (Where the one handbrake wheel was, this was a good 50 years ago now), got on to the side ladder, and just swung *most* of his body out of the way in time to lose just his arm and half his leg to the Standing Cut on the adjoining track..... The tracks were THAT close.....

Falcus

The big yard its self wasn't this tight - just the sidings in the "freight yard" building complex.

Here's a Bing view, which I forgot to include in my right-up.

http://binged.it/1t9wgjY

The long building right next to the State Street overpass is the B&M freight house.

The yellowish building near the loop of Furnace Bypass (byp) is the coal company. The sidings and spurs came in from the small tunnel-side just about where that footbridge is located today. If you compare this to some old photos, you can barely see the tracks in there, thanks to the poor resolution of the scans. From what I could tell, they squeezed in about four tracks into this tiny area. It was quite cramped with coal cars destined for the coal company and other good destined from the lumber company, the brick building with the cupola on it, and other businesses in there. Near the lumber and dry goods company is an old stationary crane which dates back to when this was a hub of activity.

The rail bridge seen here, is double tracked and has two remaining hangers on it for the catenary which ended just short of the Little Tunnel. The electric box motors would bring the trains through the tunnel, and after dropping the passenger trains at the station, continue to the end of the catenary, then head back to Hoosic to bring the next train through.

Looking a bit east, just on the other side of the bridge, is the old yard area. This once had at least 17-plus tracks and two engine houses, plus the electric facility. All of that is gone now; mostly rusty rails and piles of ties. The mainline is double track with a couple of rusty sidings, and the old B&A is now a stub-ended spur and very weeded-over.

http://binged.it/12uPzKk

Thank you Mike for the honor of the 1,000th post. It couldn't have been more appropriate. :)

John

I have to put a plug in here for Google.

When I loaded up the Bing Maps, not only are there no street views for anything, but there was no obvious way of turning off the Marking lines for Tracks and Roads, so I couldn't even see the most pertinent parts of what you were trying to show me.... And to demonstrate the ease of use of Google Maps, I'll post links to demonstrate the things in your post.

First Link of the Top down shot of the B&M Freight House:
http://goo.gl/maps/qHlFC

Whilst following the Tracks looking for the tunnel (Obviously went the wrong direction), found this interesting building out near Owl Kill on Eagle Bridge Rd North of Hoosick Falls (What an outrageous name, lol):
http://goo.gl/maps/Q7xd3

I'm guessing this, which is labeled as "The Massachusetts Museum of Art" Or some such? Used to be some kind of major factory in town? I can't decide whether the place had Railway access or not.... Though I'm inclined to think yes, judging by some of the angles on the buildings looking Top Down
http://goo.gl/maps/w5DfQ

Can't find that "Yellow building" you mentioned on Either Map system...

You mean this Rail Bridge? Can't see any former Cat Hangers on that one though? Thought that might just be because of the angles.
http://goo.gl/maps/pVYUb
http://goo.gl/maps/dHQBm

Second Link of the Old Yard, Top down:
http://goo.gl/maps/4irMp
Went looking for a better pic of the old Yard Spaces at Street level but everything is so overgrown.....

Falcus

I have to put a plug in here for Google.

When I loaded up the Bing Maps, not only are there no street views for anything, but there was no obvious way of turning off the Marking lines for Tracks and Roads, so I couldn't even see the most pertinent parts of what you were trying to show me.... And to demonstrate the ease of use of Google Maps, I'll post links to demonstrate the things in your post.

There's a check box under the Bird's Eye button to uncheck the labels. I use both, depending upon my needs.

First Link of the Top down shot of the B&M Freight House:
http://goo.gl/maps/qHlFC

Notice how the building was cut to fit the highway bridge!

Whilst following the Tracks looking for the tunnel (Obviously went the wrong direction), found this interesting building out near Owl Kill on Eagle Bridge Rd North of Hoosick Falls (What an outrageous name, lol):
http://goo.gl/maps/Q7xd3

This is a typical station on the western end it seems and similar to the old Hoosic Station on the east side of the tunnel. Good find and we thank you for this..

I'm guessing this, which is labeled as "The Massachusetts Museum of Art" Or some such? Used to be some kind of major factory in town? I can't decide whether the place had Railway access or not.... Though I'm inclined to think yes, judging by some of the angles on the buildings looking Top Down
http://goo.gl/maps/w5DfQ

Correct. This is "MOCA" which now houses the "Modern Art" and studios. They have this fetish on hubcaps mounted on oil tanks, and scrap metal things... The former textile company did have rail service, and there was once a bridge across the river to supply coal to its power plant. Both are now long gone.

Can't find that "Yellow building" you mentioned on Either Map system...

Sure you can... Looking at your B&M Freight house image, you see a bright white roof connected to a grey roof. This is the coal company building. It's painted light yellow today, and probably was a darker yellow in the past, based on a building that lasted in my area until the early 2000s that was used for the same purpose.

You mean this Rail Bridge? Can't see any former Cat Hangers on that one though? Thought that might just be because of the angles.
http://goo.gl/maps/pVYUb
http://goo.gl/maps/dHQBm

In the second to the last image in my pics, where the Amtrak track machine is crossing the Warren Truss, you can see big eye-hooks in the top girder, just above the machine's headlight and roof gear. There are 4 of them which held the wires.

Second Link of the Old Yard, Top down:
http://goo.gl/maps/4irMp
Went looking for a better pic of the old Yard Spaces at Street level but everything is so overgrown.....

Yes, sadly the yard is wiped out today. Take a look at Historic Aerials.com and you'll see what used to be there! I had another image elsewhere but I can't find it. There were once something like 17-20 tracks plus the smaller holding tracks, sidings, and engine facilities.

John

Falco, your first aerial photo above, is a great shot of the Heritage Gateway State Park. The long freight house at the top houses the park museum exhibit, focusing largely on the tunnel and its construction. The building in the center is the old coal storage facility, which houses the North Adams Historical Society. All the buildings shown will be digitally recreated an uploaded to the DLS. (by the way, we're always looking for experienced volunteer content creators for the project). The large sprawling mill complex you reference above was once a textile and dye mill. This too will be recreated for the project. In the 1940's the mill passed on to Sprague Electric. It now houses Mass MoCA; Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art; which does absolutely nothing to enhance the historical economic and transportation importance of grater North Adams.

So is it Hoosic or Hoosac? You have used both spellings in the 2 threads for this topic.

Yup. It depends upon where you are. ;) The river is Hoosac, depending upon where you are in Vermont, New York, or Massachusetts there are other places with the different names. The tunnel is Hoosac and the station nearby was called Hoosic located a few miles downstream. Confused yet??? There's a small, former mill town, up in New York State called Hoosick Falls with Hoosick and North Hoosick nearby.

This makes things a bit fun.

John

Just Hoosick is that? :hehe:

LOL--- Good one. :)

In response to pictures of the grain elevator. Mike and I are planning a spring trip out there, and I'll remind him to travel back to East Deerfield yard again. The good news is the building is to be preserved, so hopefully they don't paint it over with pretty colors. :)

John

Yeah! We like that old run-down rusty rot look! It so reflects our attitudes and dispositions. :cool:
They start hangin' chromy plated hub caps off'a that; then forget it.......Raifaners 0....Idiots 100!

Back