Hogback Girder Bridge?

lewisner

Hi all, I am trying to create the area around Malton (UK) and I have built the bridge to the east of the station on the Thirsk branch based on one photo in a book and the 25 inch OS map.It had a centre span about 80 feet long using a "hogback" girder and two flat girders about 50 feet each.I've searched the DLS in vane for a girder of this type using "hog" , "hogback" and hump" so I have mocked it up temporarily using a raised spline.Does anyone know where I can find a girder span like this? Thanks in advance.
4466953142_a5dd8efaff_o.jpg

If you can give me an idea as to what size you would like it I can make one for you.

Overall length, single or double track, height above the water, etc?

Ben

Cheers Ben! There's nothing left of it now but I can send you the photo and may be able to knock up a drawing.

Is that the River Derwent Bridge on the way to Low Marishes? If so I have the following information:

"Mileage 1m 55ch to 1m 56.5ch."

"Wrought iron girders and plate decking waybeams. Stone abutments and wings. 2 spans 16ft 6in and 46ft 3in. 11ft 6inch headway"

My info about 2 spans seems to clash with your mockup so I wonder if I have the wrong bridge. Also my copy of the data source is over a year old and something newer / better might be available - if you can confirm the bridge I could check for you.

Edit: Checked on an old OS map and I think the above is the wrong bridge.....

I now have "River Derwent Viaduct" on the line towards Amotherby which makes more sense.

"Mileage 22m 30.5ch to 22m 33.25ch"

"Steel girders, stone abutments, 3 spans - 43ft 1in, 73ft 10in, 39ft 10in, max headway 30ft 9in"

Chris

Last edited:
Lewisner:

If his dimensions are correct let me know please (also is it 1 or 2 tracks) and I'll get working on it.

Ben

Here's the photo Ben - thanks so much.

Itaerus - as a matter of interest where did you get that info on the bridge and does your source also cover the Malton & Driffield?BTW the piers and abutments would be sandstone dark weathered and the girders would be painted in Grey Micaceous Oxide as usual in the North East.
4467279713_0c716b72f3_o.jpg

Last edited:
OK on the textures. I just finished making the hogback part but I have too much curvature in it (easily changed).

Do you want it open deck (no floor so you can see the water between the ties) or close deck (solid flooring)?

Ben

Itareus - as a matter of interest where did you get that info on the bridge and does your source also cover the Malton & Driffield?

The source is "The Railway Record" a database of UK railway infrastructure which has been built up over a period of more than 30 years. It started off as a card index of stations and now covers the whole country in a level of detail down to individual buildings, culverts etc and is held in a relational database (the design and programming of which which was my "contribution"). The level of detail varies, some areas such as East Anglia are complete others are still being worked on and data is being added by a team of railway historians using reliable sources such as old engineering drawings, Bridge Registers etc. As you can imaging it's no small undertaking.

I have just checked the Malton & Driffield, it is covered down to fine detail - Stations, Culverts, Occupation Crossings, Ground Frames, You name it! All with mileages.

This data is not yet publicly available - there is talk of a website but don't hold your breath! I could ask my friend who "controls" the database if he will send you what he can on the M&D if you like. He will have the most up to date data and possibly even some photos (although copyright issues may come into play with these).

Ben,

Having seen the photo I'm now sure this is the River Derwent Viaduct"

"Steel girders, stone abutments, 3 spans - 43ft 1in, 73ft 10in, 39ft 10in, max headway 30ft 9in"

Chris

Its almost done, lol.

I'll make two versions (open and closed deck). PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you for testing before uploading to the DLS.

Ben

Cheers Ben I don't know how you can possibly work so fast!

Itaerus - if you were able to get that info it would be a big help not only to me but to the Yorkshire Wolds Railway who wish to restore part of the line.Although Network Rail still own most of the bridges there is some confusion about their numbering - one member says that the culverts and Burdale Tunnel were not numbered.I'll PM you my e-mail addy just in case.

Its not that I work particularly fast its that I have the time (I'm retired and can spend 7 to 12 hours a day Gmaxing) and I have a large library of sub-assemblies from other projects that are either completely re-usable or easily modified. I don't have to "reinvent the wheel" with each item, lol.

Ben

Back