Help! What does this signal mean?

finalanswer19

One of my friends operates the MAX light rail trains in Portland, OR, and she took this picture of the freight train tracks (to the right of the picture) and we both are wondering what the yellow signals (near the middle of the picture) mean. If you know, please tell me.

Thank you,
Matt

Along%2BI-84.jpg

the one on the second overpass on the left looks like an approach. the one on the right side (the double signal) could be one of two (maybe others depending on that particular railroad), but if its UP then here goes

if its a yellow over white, that is an approach restricting

if its yellow over yellow, then thats an approach diverging.

the approach restricting basically means be prepared to after passing the next signal (it says more but thats the jist of it)

the approach diverging basically means your going to go off the track you are on onto a different track.

the wording on the up is more technical, pertaining to speed and what you must do, but basically, thats whats what they might be (could be different, every railroad has there own lights and what they mean)

Now I have another question. Do you know if the next signal will be a red together with a yellow some distance before they switch tracks at the next switche? And, yes, this is a Union Pacific railroad.

Thanks,
Matt

yeah, next one is a red over yellow if the one in your pic is a yellow over yellow. red over yellow basically means "your taking the hole"

Back