Hello Trainz community!

Ashers07

Hello everyone!

My name is Ashley and I am a train sim fan! (duh!) And at the moment train simulations are as close as I can get to doing it for real (still a few years to go yet!) I spent a lot of time on MSTS a few years ago, playing on the Brighton-London expansion as that was the closest mainline to me, I enjoyed it but I didnt really understand much about railways.

Recently (about 5 months ago) I discovered BVE which is a great fun game but a bit empty, plenty of routes and stuff but nothing really to do. So whilst hunting for a train sim with a bit more than what MSTS and BVE had to offer I came across Trainz! So I ordered Trainz 2006 2 days ago and it should be with me tomorrow! I really cant wait. But I do have some n00b questions.

What are the must have UK routes/addons?
Are there any tutorials on how to go about making a railway/network in the game?
Does Trainz have a built in program for modelling? if not which do you use? (Modelling in the scratch built trains and stations sense.)
My local mainline is the Marylebone-Birmingham Snow Hill (Chiltern) line (I live in High Wycombe), is there any content based on this? The route itself or even just the Class 165 or 168 trains?
What are KUID numbers? been seeing these eveywhere on the forum?

Thanks! See you around!

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to the forum :clap: I did the same as you, used MSTS for years then switched to TRS - never looked back! I use BVE at times too, I find it's good for a couple of runs but can get boring very quickly due to only having one viewpoint and being fairly unintuitive when it comes to content creation (it's free though so can't complain!)

There are absolutely tons of UK routes on the DLS (Download Station), you may want to take a look in the UK Screenshots thread (over in the screenshots forum) to see what's around. If you see something you want all you need to do is ask, everyone's very helpful here.

For modelling content, the vast majority of us use gmax (free from www.turbosquid.com/gmax ) along with the required Trainz Asset Creation Studio plugin for exporting the content to TRS. The Content Creation forum is a good place to look around if you're interested in the "creating stuff" side of things.

I don't think there are any routes based on your local mainline, but the beauty of Trainz is you can make a start on creating it yourself. The "Surveyor" module is a doddle compared to the MSTS Route Editor and after just a day or two of playing about you'll be an accomplished route builder :)

As it happens I'm modelling the Class 165 and 168/0 but the project has been on hold a while now due to other things taking over (namely a Pendolino and a Eurostar). I have a progress thread running here but you'll need to register at http://forum.uktrainz.co.uk before you can access it. It's an excellent little forum if you want to see the latest in UK content. (although the new version of the forum was launched only an hour or so ago so you may need to be patient!)

Lastly, KUID numbers are the unique numbers which identify a piece of content. When you download a route, the application looks at which items it requires (referred to as "dependencies") and downloads them all automatically for you. You may want to go over to the Auran Shop and buy yourself a one-year First Class Ticket (I think they're £6.99). You can still access the DLS without one, but this gets you faster download speeds and removes the 100Mb daily limit.

Right. Think that's everything! (phew!) Any more questions just ask, there's always someone around to answer.

Cheers,

JB

Just another note: If you are buying the full blown version of Trainz 2006, you will get a 90 day FREE first class ticket. Also, don't forget the update called, SP1 in Trainz. Check your version, you might be already updated with a new purchase.

Can't think of anything else. I'm an 'X' MSTS guy, too. Just too darn unstable for me. This game plays wonderfully. I love it.

Have fun...
Rick

Does Trainz have a built in program for modelling? if not which do you use? (Modelling in the scratch built trains and stations sense.)​

As has already been mentioned, the majority of folks here use GMAX. However, it's not the only option. I never did figure GMAX out and I now happily use 3D Canvas Pro.
http://www.amabilis.com/
(the regular version is free but in order to export to Trainz you'd have to purchase the "plus" or "pro" version). It's much more widely used with MSTS, so you may already be familiar with it.

Anyway, welcome to Trainz. I hope you enjoy it!:)

Patrick

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

JiveBunny: Create it myself eh? Might have to play around over the weekend and see what I can muster up!:D Thank you for all the information and tips.

Really great to see that train simulations can have friendly and thriving forum communities!

Welcome To Trainz Forums!!!!:wave: :clap:
UK huh? never been there but they are very intersting with the RR system.

Most layout these day are UK.you'll find you way around very soon just ask and we can help! :D

I have a thread, call Surveryor Tips and Trick found here.
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=6105
it has a bundel of tips for Surveyor.

other than that that WELCOME TO TRAINZ!!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

And some of the routes are very very very good!
:udrool: :mop: :udrool: :mop:

Hi Ashley,

Welcome Aboard. You will find surveyor extremely easy and fun to use, if you plan on making your local railway line.

Alan

Welcome to the forums Ashley, you should find a positive attitude and great people here ;)

As many have said, Surveyor is one of the best route making tools in the Train Simulator market. It is very simple to use and the youngest of minds can grasp it!

yes, no complicated coding needed, although you can still code and make it even more detailed

I do remember that MSTS route making is VERY complicated :eek:

~Mike~

yes it is, the most i have done is lay a single section of track, Trainz is FAR easier, you cannot even compare the two

Thanks, titanic. Booked marked it!:)

Yes, Trainz is far easier then MSTS when it comes to route building. FAR easier.:Y:

Welcome to the Trainz Community Ashley. You'll find hours and hours of stuff to operate/ create that are fun and easy. There is many stuff to download from the Download Station plus great third-party sites (Only U.S. sites I can think of :p ) , but there is alot to do so enjoy it! -Chris

Last edited:
Bah, I knew i would struggle to find routes! I dont know what ones are where, what they need and so on...And when I find one I want it cant find it! I want to download Angelahs great looking west coast mainline, but it cant find the URL or something..anywhere else you can find these?

Edit: nvm, found out!:D

london underground trains

WHERE CAN U GET LONDON UNDERGROUND TRAINS FOR TRAINZ.SOMEONE SHOULD SORT IT OUT. IT REALLY FUSTRATES ME!

Hello Ashley

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Train Simulation or shall I say Trainz

KUID NUMBERING - [FONT=Arial,Arial]A KUID is a unique number allocated to all content created for Trainz and can be thought of as a bar code. [/FONT]

Enjoy your stay

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
Back