Hello I'm new+ qeustion

Hi Jordy,

To add to my last, and again I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. No disrespect intended, as I said we've all been in your position.

As a rough guide, first take a look at whatever model your creating, or even a part of that model.
Now, whatever the shape of that model, will be a guide to the ratio you want to use.
As an example, overall your Droid is oblong in shape.

As you progress, you will become more adventurous, in the meantime experiment, but for starters, try to keep within the excellent guidelines in this thread.

There's one thing to keep in mind, and I'll wager that others will agree with me. It don't matter how long you've been creating, you'll still be learning. New ideas, shortcuts Etc are always popping up.
It is very likely, in the near future, you'll be posting something that none of us has even considered.
Cheers
Pete.

Very true and most people find all aspects of asset creation very difficult, even when they have English as their native language.

John

Jordy

I'm sorry we confused you with the talk of different ratios, it was this comment by you that led us astray:-

Wait don't tell me trainz want tga files to have the same lenght as hight?? In that case Damn! I have to re texture AL my models !!
BTW I use paint.net

You seem to have settled on 512x512. It appears that you are re-texturing.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Narrowgauge

Hi NG,
Looks like I owe you an apology my friend.
I was just working on my route and this thread popped into my head. I suddenly realised I made a blunder.
At first I couldn't understand where the 'Adjusting Canvas' came into play. Then I realised we were on different tracks. Mine was a branch line going nowhere :D .

When I was on about adjusting only the 'image' I was on about increasing or decreasing, but, keeping the same perspective, so there wouldn't be any distortion.
Like you said when I re-read your post, Apples ans Pears, On this side of the hemisphere we call it 'chalk and cheese' :)

I suddenly realised what you were saying, and, of course agree with you 100%.
Anyway; Sorry about my blunder.
Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
Uh Victory is only on a short term:( droids work other stuff ain't I did resize it to the same lenght and hight as the working droid but now with other models, I checked it the images are tga. and it has an term of 2 2,4,8 ect Might there be an kind of well... line that says what texture too use??

Jordy

Check that your .tga textures are not compressed. This may be set as as default in your paint program. Trainz will only work with uncompressed textures.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Jordy

Check that your .tga textures are not compressed. This may be set as as default in your paint program. Trainz will only work with uncompressed textures.

Cheers

Narrowgauge
oh but in that case how can I get alpha channels?? but indeed that could be it!

Jordy

Alpha channels will work happily with uncompressed TGA's. It may be a restriction of your image editor. It is not necessary to use ALPHA, adding the necessary opacity image to the OPACITY slot in Gmax Material Editor will accomplish the same thing.

Cheers

Peter

Jordy

Alpha channels will work happily with uncompressed TGA's. It may be a restriction of your image editor. It is not necessary to use ALPHA, adding the necessary opacity image to the OPACITY slot in Gmax Material Editor will accomplish the same thing.

Cheers

Peter
OK I opend the files and resaved the uncompressed but still I am Afraid that it won't work so if by some chance it wont work, what are the options I can use in total???

Jordy

From your post, it seems you haven't tried it yet. The easy answer to your question is that if everything is correct it will work. If you try it and it does not work then we look for a reason.

Narrowgauge

Hi Jordy,

Like I said in an earlier post, try to experiment.
It won't damage your computer, at the most, it can only cause a few hours of wasted work. Saying that, it won't be wasted, as we all learn from our mistakes.

Don't get me wrong my friend, no-one here objects to your questions, if necessary, I suppose we could give you step by step instructions on texturing your droid, but in the long term it wouldn't help you because your next creation would be completely different.

In short, don't be afraid, look on the plus side, if it don't work you wont do it again.

Its when you've tried everything possible, and it still don't work, then ask. I'm not being harsh, or criticizing, but trust me, its the best way to learn something new.

Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
Jordy

I can't help with translation and I had to use an online tranlator for this but

onthaal aan de raad

Cathy:)

I'm not being harsh, or criticizing, but trust me, its the best way to learn something new.

Cheers
Pete.
ah won't worry I don't find you harsh at all it is only the pc I had trainz on got a virus so everything had to be removed (windows ect.) so I have to reinstall the game. And so I can't check out if it works.
Oh and CathyH good try but onthaal aan de raad doesn't mean anything at all in my language!:D
adding the necessary opacity image to the OPACITY slot in Gmax Material Editor will accomplish the same thing..
you mean those slots with two options (or three ) which one involves alpha?

Back