Having Some Crashing Issues

Ever since SP2, I'm having crashes when ever I, for example, place an asset and save, then try to open driver.

I place the asset.
I save the session, (overwrite existing session).
Start driver.
When asked if I want to save, I select "save" & "overwrite existing session".
Splash screen is shown and in less than 5 seconds I get the Blue Spinning Donut of Death.

If I let it sit for 5 min or so it finally pops up a message about it being unable to save and if I click "OK" it goes back to the game. If I try to start driver again, it's fine. It seems to be linked to saving, then starting driver and having to save again.

I have defragged both the drive the game is on (F) as well as the user drive (C) and optimized and checked for drive errors.
(No errors found and drive C was 1% fragmented, but I defragged anyway.)

I have 149GB free on C and 690GB free on F.

Windows 10x64
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU
20GB RAM

Anyone got any help on this?
Anyone else having similar issues?

SP
Mark

Hi Mark,

I recommend running a database repair. At the Launcher, choose Rebuild database from the developer menu item.

Once complete, check for out-of-date assets, and delete obsolete-assets.

Ensure that scripted assets such as ATLS, EIT (Enhanced Interlocking Towers), and TRC assets are up-to-date.

Check for faulty assets. Sometimes after a DBR, viewing errors and warnings will clear the flag and the assets will no longer be faulty. If there are any remaining ones, they need to be replaced or repaired. Note: Since SP2, you may need to exit from the faulty screen to something else such as installed then return to refresh the database.

If you haven't already, have you excluded Trainz and it's content from your antivirus' real-time scanning? That can cause nasty things to happen such as crashing.

Is your database on your F: drive or your C: drive? Is that a built-in or external drive?

You can move the data to your F: drive if you want, but external drives operate a bit slower which is why I asked. Moving your data, however, is an easy process which we can help you with.

I have been lucky so far with SP2 and haven't experienced this issue and I generally work in Trainz for hours at a time jumping between Surveyor, Session editing and Driver throughout the period.

Don't do a save twice as this can cause some possible corruption to the route. Either don't save and just do the save when exiting the session or do a save and then don't save again.

Hi Mark,

I recommend running a database repair. At the Launcher, choose Rebuild database from the developer menu item.

I have run DBR several times, as well as EDBR. Nothing shows as; Faulty, Faulty dependencies, Missing Dependencies, or open for edit. I have deleted all Out Of Date and obsolete assets that were able to be deleted. I do have one that shows as Built-in Newer Version Available, but it's shown as Unknown location and won't download. <kuid2:122285:1012:1>

Once complete, check for out-of-date assets, and delete obsolete-assets.

Ensure that scripted assets such as ATLS, EIT (Enhanced Interlocking Towers), and TRC assets are up-to-date.

I didn't download these things until after SP2, so I would think they would be up to snuff.

Check for faulty assets. Sometimes after a DBR, viewing errors and warnings will clear the flag and the assets will no longer be faulty. If there are any remaining ones, they need to be replaced or repaired. Note: Since SP2, you may need to exit from the faulty screen to something else such as installed then return to refresh the database.

I have done this repeatedly and nothing shows.

If you haven't already, have you excluded Trainz and it's content from your antivirus' real-time scanning? That can cause nasty things to happen such as crashing.

I have excluded the N3V folder from my AV in SP1.

Is your database on your F: drive or your C: drive? Is that a built-in or external drive?

My database is on C: and the game itself is on F: . C is internal and F is external SATA.

You can move the data to your F: drive if you want, but external drives operate a bit slower which is why I asked. Moving your data, however, is an easy process which we can help you with.

I have been lucky so far with SP2 and haven't experienced this issue and I generally work in Trainz for hours at a time jumping between Surveyor, Session editing and Driver throughout the period.

MUNDO JEALOUS! :)

@stagecoach...Yeah I think that's probable solid advice. It's not that I intentionally do it every time. Sometimes I just finish doing something and save, then decide to check it out in driver. And there's the problem.

All this being said, I'm wondering if any of this is related to the issue I'm having with the invisible road thing and the floating cars thing?

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?161895-A-Couple-Of-Oddities

Also, I had some issues when I was updating to SP2 concerning updating routes and packs through the Content Store. A couple of the packages threw an error about a simc:sc package problem, I think it may have been simc:sc490?. However I saw on the forum that it was known to throw that message and I should ignore it. So I did and when I look on the Purchased tab they all show Installed.

Do you think there is any benefit to uninstalling these update packages from the Content store and DLing them over? I feel like something is wrong and it's starting to snowball.

I'm in Arizona...we don't like snowballs!:D

SP
Mark

All this being said, I'm wondering if any of this is related to the issue I'm having with the invisible road thing and the floating cars thing?

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?161895-A-Couple-Of-Oddities

Also, I had some issues when I was updating to SP2 concerning updating routes and packs through the Content Store. A couple of the packages threw an error about a simc:sc package problem, I think it may have been simc:sc490?. However I saw on the forum that it was known to throw that message and I should ignore it. So I did and when I look on the Purchased tab they all show Installed.

Do you think there is any benefit to uninstalling these update packages from the Content store and DLing them over? I feel like something is wrong and it's starting to snowball.

I'm in Arizona...we don't like snowballs!:D

SP
Mark

There's no need in uninstalling the DLC packages. That will only make things messier.

I was going to ask you. How much RAM (memory-DIMMS) does your system have?

Increasing your virtual memory, aka the page file, really helps a lot.

Although I answered you in another forum post, I thought I'd also post it here to maybe help others experiencing this problem.

I st my pagefile to 32GB and that really helped. It seems to run much better and I don't have the crashing issue now. I also don't do the save and then start driver and save again thing, but who's to say?

When you said that I remembered from back in the day that the pagefile should be set to 1 1/2 time the amount of memory you have. I guess when I saw that windows was managing the pagefile size, I just let it go.

Thank you for your help John.

Happy New Year!

Mark

Yup - setting the pagefile/ virtual memory size to at least double the amount of your physical RAM usually helps a great deal with Windows 10 and all recent versions of Trainz. I'm currently running up to 90Gb of VM spread over the 3 SSDs which have versions of Trainz on them. Where it really comes into its own is when you do EDBRs and TrainzUtil stuff. Also handy when checking out performance issues with high-poly assets in the performance analysis mode of the Preview Asset utility.

Back