Grade Crossings - TS2006 was better than 09/10

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I have been working on a script file which involves grade crossings, and just realized something about TS2006: Grade crossings operated more prototypically in 2006 than they do in TS2009 or TS2010.

If you set up a crossing with operating gates/lights in TS2006, you will notice that as the train approaches the crossing, the crossing is activated. Now, if you stop the train and reverse, the gates immediately start to open again. Then, as you start the train forward again, the crossing activates once more (provided you haven't backed up beyond the crossing's "trigger area").

This action will continue as long as you reverse the train while it is approaching the crossing, but after some point when the train gets close enough, the crossing will not open when you reverse the train (until it passes what I believe is the "inner trigger" point).

In addition to this action in TS2006, the crossing will open much sooner after the train has passed than the distance the train was when it closed.

Now, if you create exactly the same scenario in TS2009 or TS2010, the crossing will activate once the train is within the trigger area, but it will not open again if the train reverses, until that train is clear of the trigger area.
In addition, the crossing will not open nearly as quickly after the train passes. The last car of the train must lie outside of the trigger area on the other side of the crossing.

So what happened between TRS2006 and TS2009? Can anyone answer this question?
I have looked at the script files that are used for crossings, and cannot find any difference (except a line or two of code that has nothing to do with the trigger distance and train direction).

This problem has of course been mitigated by the invention of the ATLS system, but ATLS still does not have directional intelligence, so if you reverse a train while within the set of ATLS triggers, you mess up the sequence. No complaint here. It seems to be very difficult to handle direction with triggers. I am very grateful of Boat to have come up with the ATLS system.

It is unfortunate that Auran has broken something very basic while moving from TRS2006 to TS2009 and forward. It seems from what I have been reading here, that there are other things that were broken in TS2009, and still not fixed in TS2010.

In the mean time, I am trying to decipher Boat's script for the ATLS system, and maybe someday will come up with a direction aware system of triggers that will allow reverse moves across and near grade crossings without fouling up the sequence. Another line of thought is to create a crossing that acts more like a signal, (since signals definitely know direction of the train) which may be how it works in TS2006.

Should I go back to TS2006? I think not. I will eventually get TS2010 working the way I want it to, or else...:(

FW

Back