Gmax exporting help

colorado71

I am a beginner user of Gmax and I made the truss below.
truss1a.jpg

truss1a.jpg

However, when I exported it I obtained this result:

truss1b.jpg
truss1b.jpg

Can someone tell me please, where I go wrong.
Thank you very much.
colorado

Last edited:
Hi,

I have had models turn out like this before. My guess is that with over 69000 poly's - which is very high - the trainz exporter can't cope as it cuts the model up and divides it into sections.

You'll find that you could probably cut the poly's down dramatically on that model, for example all the railing, how many sides do you have on all those rails? Spend some time getting rid of all the hidden poly's and welding vertexes. I can see some overlapping in the gmax screen, try and avoid this too.

Other possible problems could be a problem with the normals - causing half the poly's not to show up. Try ticking the '2 sided' box in your material editor.
And the first thing that comes to mind why the track is at right angle is the attachment points, they need to be named and oriented correctly.

Looks great though. Is it a spline or scenery object?
Good luck
Jonny

It is part of Saligny's Bridge over Danube at Cernavoda, Romania:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4027821
Because the different segments of the bridge are too large (the lengths of the different trusses vary from 90 to 240 meters) I plan to make them as scenery objects.
Thank you very much.
colorado

truss2a.jpg

truss2a.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I checked all those problems, and I am now a little over 50.000 poly. However, the result is the same.

Well, I checked all those problems, and I am now a little over 50.000 poly. However, the result is the same.

Theres your answer, 50,000 polys, and the exporter runs into strange problems. The only way to sort the object out, is to split it into sections. You have to make sure the number of polies don't exceed 32,767 (I think - 2(16 - I can't do superscript on here.)).
When you split it into sections, you are keeping the poly limit down to a number the exporter can cope with.

Colorado71

is there any chance you can make your screenshots smaller? There is a maximum limit of 800 pixels wide for the forums. because your pics are so large, the moderators will eventually convert them to links, then people like me won't ever bother to look at them. The mods will leave smaller pics alone so that we can all appreciate them.

Thanks.

Ok. And thank you for noticed me.

Colorado71

is there any chance you can make your screenshots smaller? There is a maximum limit of 800 pixels wide for the forums. because your pics are so large, the moderators will eventually convert them to links, then people like me won't ever bother to look at them. The mods will leave smaller pics alone so that we can all appreciate them.

Thanks.

Dear friends,
Finally, thanks to your advices I succeed. Being not a very experienced user of gmax I made a real wastefulness of faces. However I was able to reduce them to 7560, respectively 17.928 polygons. You can see here an unfinished version of the Saligny's bridge.
Many thanks,
colorado

bridgew.jpg

That is a pretty nifty effort for someone just learning. Congratulations, and yes I did notice you.

There is an apparent limit in Trainz of approximately 18,000 polys per image file. If you have more you will get effects as shown in your first screenshot (missing parts and strange triangular things all over the place). The only solution is to break your item up into several separate image files of 18K polys or less and let the config file assemble the complete item. 18K isn't an absolute value but it is a good "rule-of-thumb" value.

I've made items with close to 30 separate image files - it does work. Take a peek at any of my large (long) bridge config files to see how to set it up.

Ben

P.S. Nice bridge

Back