Flashing Textures in Buildings

FatnSlo

I am using TRS2006 with SP1 and notice many buildings have textures in them that flash or blink from a distance. Once I get very close to the buildings, they look fine. I am wondering if this is due to the common warning in CMP that says that LOD textures are no longer supported in TRS2006 and that is the cause? Or is it something else?

FatnSlo

I am using TRS2006 with SP1 and notice many buildings have textures in them that flash or blink from a distance. Once I get very close to the buildings, they look fine. I am wondering if this is due to the common warning in CMP that says that LOD textures are no longer supported in TRS2006 and that is the cause? Or is it something else?

FatnSlo

I don't think think this is the result of not having LOD textures. I believe this has to do with some coplanar faces on the objects.

This is actually caused by your video card trying to render two objects in the same space. You can observe the same effect if you place a building with a base on it right on the surface of the baseboard, and then move the camera over it to look right down on the object. The textures will jump like crazy between black and the texture color.

The same is true with objects. If the objects have a night-mesh so the building can light up at night, the mesh might be too close to the object causing the textures to jump back and forth. The distance has to only be about 2 or 3 pixels away for them to stop flickering.

It's kind of hard explaining co-planar faces, so I hope you could understand what I was trying to say here.

John

Back