Filling The Gap

mattm

Doing my best.
Hi all,

I was wondering if the surveyor gurus may offer me some assistance. I downloaded Bendorseys Fly-over bridge assets that appeared in my CM list today, as from the thumbnail image, F/O #3 appeared as if it would fit into a route i work on, on ad off, when the mood takes me. My hunch was pretty well spot on, as with only mior adjustment of the tracks in the immediate area, i was able to slot the bridge nearperfectly.

However, as the attached image shows, there is something of a gap that needs filling:
Edit: These two images show better the problem I have.

Was wondering if anybody could suggest possible assets that i could use fill the gap? Smooth spline on the track fills in much of the flyover, and the plateau/height tool is just as difficult to get results with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Matt.

Last edited:
There are bridge supports and abutments under the track-side object menu (the one with the signals and switches). When I have gaps between bridges and tracks like that, I use those to fill them in. Most bridges don't just start out of the ground in real life anyway, so having a structure in there is appropriate. Since they attach to the track, you can get them aligned easily. With a large gap, you may need to put two or more in a row to fill it.

I've always had a problem filling those gaps. Anything I use would have to be textured and would almost certainly not match the texture surrounding it so when I do put something there its usually just a solid block of concrete which would allow folks to contour the ground however they see fit without the texture mismatch.

If you can't find anything that will work give me a shout and I'll make a version with those concrete blocks, lol.

Ben

7800.1059947460.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, all,

I could only find 1 suitable abuttment, by natvander, that I have used before. It needs 6-7 in a row, and this is the result:

There is still a slight mismatch of terrain that can not be resolved by using an abuttment, as they end up blocking the underpass, as seen here:

I am perhaps being a tad picky, as although the route is DEM based, and I am using GE imagery as guidance, the route is going to be far from ultra-protypical. That said, the asset in question replaced a girder bridge that (a) was more prototypical, and (b) allowed me to manipulate the terrain more precisely, without any of the issues currently being discussed. I simply happened across it in my daily trawl of the DLS and was taken by the fact that it was such a neat fit for the trackwork in place, and to my eye looked nicer than the plain bridge already in use.

Matt.

The problem using splines to fill the gap is they have square ends but the top track crosses at an angle (25 degrees if I remember right).

I'll go back and add suitable gap filling bulkheads on all 8 and upload them in a little while.

EDIT: This might be a bit trickier then I first thought;

mattm: please PM me your e-mail address so can send this to you after modification for testing.

Ben

Last edited:
I think that using the 5m grid would also help here. It makes filling in a lot more precise. When I have gaps like this, I usually bury a bridge abutment in the ground at each end. That way, the bridge itself fills the gap. Sometimes though, this completely hides the abutment, so it is not a perfect fix.

CP

Back