FEC Passenger Train

bendorsey

Bridge-n-trestle builder
Was sitting ast my favorite dog-n-sudz joint Friday when of all things a passenger train went by. It was only the second one I've seen on the Florida East Coast RR since they discontinued passenger service in the mid 60's. About 6 or so months ago I saw an Amtrack train go by. Turned out it was a test train as they have been talking about re-instating passenger service from Miami to Jacksonville right up the coast (and recently a line from Miami to Orlando). Fridays train consisted of loco 2000 (which is still painted in the original FEC colors for the bicentennial), a flatcar, and two private/business cars coupled so the non-observation ends were together (to make passage between them easier I'd guess). Saw them again about 4 hours later going back up north. Meeting of the big wigs I assume, lol.

FEC Railway Richard - you know anything about this perhaps?

I've ridden the Atlantic Coast Line from St. Petersburg, FL to New London, CT but never the FEC. My wife has ridden the FEC from Miami all the way to Maine in the late 50's.

Thanks,

Ben

My educated guess as to why Amtrak doesn't run a direct Miami-Jacksonville service on the FEC main is that any Florida service must also serve Orlando, due to the presence of the Walt Disney World and Universal Studios theme parks there. It's no secret that the busiest airport in Florida isn't Miami International, but Orlando International, again thanks to Disney and Universal.

As I said above they discontinued passenger sevice in the mid 60's. Big strike, union unrest, etc. It got pretty ugly. Had to run an automobile on flanged wheels ahead of every train looking for sabotage. Its been in the local newspapers that they are considering bringing passenger service back. Miami to Jacksonville and Miami to Orlando. Both make sense tho for different reasons. Orlando for tourists to Dizzy World. Up the coast for tourism plus everything else. All bridges on the FEC are double track in width (save one) tho only one set of ties and rails are currently installed. The Stuart Bridge (close to if not the longest) has always been single track. Double tracking the line wouldn't be too difficut as the right-of-way is already there. Cost a pretty penny natch.

Ben

Hey Ben!

The consist you saw was the newly repainted #714 in the passenger scheme pulling the "Azalea" and the "St. Augustine". Not sure where they were headed but Justin and I took the loooong way back from Folkston as we were there for Railwatch. We came home via Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach where we picked up I-4 for the jog across the state back to Tampa. While in JAX we stopped by Bowden yard but couldn't find the 714. We did see the two PV's tucked into their private shed however and caught the famous "East Coast Hogger" Dave Shelley at the throttle of the 101. He had a nice train and was making every bit of track speed as we chased him down the coast. Good thing everyone on 95 drives like it's the Daytona 500 or else we would have missed him at a few spots. I don't think I've seen a better maintained ROW than on the FEC. I can't wait until they restore passenger service, I'll be on that first train with tickets in hand. I think the speedway to sunshine is about to see a passenger renaissance, and there's no better railroad to be doing it. Mr. Flager is saluting the management of the FEC from his grave with a great big smile on his face.

Mike

Yes - I noticed engine 2000 (the Y2K loco) had been renunbered. The private cars were beautiful. What was the flatcar for? Wasn't anything on it that I could see. I saw them heading south in Jupiter, FL (20 miles north of West Palm Beach). About 4 hours latrer heading back up north. Like i said either a big-wig meeting down south or they went to the Marlins game in the new statium, lol.

Ben

That flatcar you saw was actually a well car with a generator in it for the HEP for the cars. I'll find out what they were down there for, who knows could be for the game... ;)

Mike

jointedrail im here to tell you i love your freeware and payware items and i hope you plan on making up sd70ace noselights your the best :)

Back