FBX import in latest Trainz + not generating texture.txt

edh6

Ff&WHR Fan
Since the latest Trainz + update it seems to be impossible to import FBX files without creating your own texture.txt files first. Previously you could import without doing this, but now trying to do so results in lots of "Failed to compile texture" errors.

To get around this I wrote a short piece of python that trawls a folder for pngs and then creates texture.txt files for them, but this feels like an unnecessary step, especially as it didn't used to be needed.

Is there any comment from N3V about whether this change of behaviour is intentional (if so what benefit does it bring?) or not?

I have seen this as well in my content creation efforts. It doesn't happen with all content, just sporadically.

Just to add to the conversation I have also experienced this, however I typically have all my texture.txt files ready as I create them before hand so there is no guessing as to how CM will generate them automatically. I have forgotten to include them and run into the texture compile/not auto creating .texture error but only experience is in 122411.

This error I get if the texture file name used in the blender texture image node while exporting to fbx is not the same as in the ImportToTrainz folder used and without existing texture.txt.
Trainz don't know than what texture file to use, I bring to my mind.

A similar thing also happened at TRS 2019.
I want to replace the old .im mesh with a .fbx by simply copying the fbx to the assets folder. Without a texture.txt file, CM reports an error because no texture.txt was found.
But after manually creating texture.txt and putting it in the assets folder, there were no more error reports.
It seems that TRS no longer creates texture.txt automatically.
Fortunately, this is not a big problem because we can make it at least with PEV tools or typing ourselves.

Back