Extremely Frustrated

Just about every route I have currently (most of them from DLC) have the same issue. All of the sessions have a red asterisk and when I look into it, there is a "Message Popup" that is installed from DLS that is flagged faulty. The kuid is kuid:-25:1407. Anyone know how to fix this?

JCitron... thanks for the encouraging words... and thank everyone for their help. I do appreciate it.

There is a "How To" guide, the Trainz Wiki Pages, mostly created by users. It covers a wide variety of topic, some highly technical, other very general. It can be found at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo

A few of the more general (but highly detailed) pages from the Wiki that you might find useful are:-

Route and Session Basics
Using the UDS Interface - as you have Trainz Plus then you also have this interface installed and as a subscriber, this is also included in your copy of TRS22
Using Content Manager to Update Assets
How to Understand Content Manager Status Labels

All of the sessions have a red asterisk and when I look into it, there is a "Message Popup" that is installed from DLS that is flagged faulty. The kuid is kuid:-25:1407. Anyone know how to fix this?

That asset, <kuid:-25:1407> Message Popup, is built-in which means it came as part of the Trainz Plus/TRS22 installation. It has only one dependency (another asset that must be present for it to work) and that is <kuid2:401543:1169:8> Message Popup Library. This asset is also built-in so it would/should have also been installed. Both assets are present and are not flagged as "faulty" in my Trainz Plus install.

Just about every route I have currently (most of them from DLC) have the same issue. All of the sessions have a red asterisk and when I look into it, there is a "Message Popup" that is installed from DLS that is flagged faulty. The kuid is kuid:-25:1407. Anyone know how to fix this?

JCitron... thanks for the encouraging words... and thank everyone for their help. I do appreciate it.

You're welcome.

If you are seeing missing or faulty assets such as this one, make sure you have downloaded any and all DLC. There have also been some recent content updates, so make sure you keep up to date with these. By doing so, you should have no missing or faulty built-in assets.

That asset, <kuid:-25:1407> Message Popup, is built-in which means it came as part of the Trainz Plus/TRS22 installation. It has only one dependency (another asset that must be present for it to work) and that is <kuid2:401543:1169:8> Message Popup Library. This asset is also built-in so it would/should have also been installed. Both assets are present and are not flagged as "faulty" in my Trainz Plus install.

But I have TRS19, so how do I get the TRS22 items into TRS19? I had TRS22, but uninstalled it as it was so buggy.

Both the Message Popup asset and its dependency are Trainz build number 4.7 which means, as they are both "built-in", they came with TRS19 SP2 - a list of asset build numbers and their corresponding Trainz version can be found on the Trainz Wiki at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Trainz-build"_number

I am assuming that you have at least TRS19 update SP2 installed (the latest TRS19 update is SP5). It is not possible to move Built-in and Base assets from one Trainz version to another as they come pre-compressed and optimised for the specific version that they are designed for.

I would seriously consider re-installing TRS22 or using Trainz Plus instead of TRS19. Both are, in my opinion at least, superior products.

"Phil, I have downloaded this Route and sessions. In reading for session 1 it says that you have to add coal and water to the locomotive before starting. How do you do that?"

The same way that you load and unload freight cars. If you are using the Classic Surveyor:

If you are using Surveyor 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LD6xPX0myM

I suspect you will be using Classic Surveyor.

In the videos I use Cab (also called Advanced) Mode, where you as the locomotive engineer control the brakes (both the train and the independent locomotive brake), the regulator, reverser, water injector, ... . If you find this too difficult and want to go back to DCC (Simple) Mode, click on the three dots at the extreme bottom right of the screen, to the right of the HUD which showes brake pressures, boiler pressure, ... . In this mode the "W" key moves you forward, the "X" key backwards, and the "S" key stops you.

Tell us how you go with this.

Cab Mode is much more challenging and interesting. You should try to master it.

Phil

I don't know what "Classic Surveyor" means and some other things, but I will fiddle around.

If you are using TRS19 then you will only have Classic Surveyor (also called S10 or S1.0).

Surveyor 2.0 (also called S20 or S2.0) is only available as an alternative to Classic Surveyor in Trainz Plus and in TRS22 if you have the Trainz Plus subscription (which you do have according to your header line). TRS22 without the subscription has S1.0 just like TRS19.

S2.0 is a much smoother and a more efficient Surveyor interface but it is still in its infancy (i.e. under development). It still lacks some features that will require you to drop back into S1.0 to perform some tasks. It has a steep but not impossible learning curve especially for those of us who have become "very comfortable" using S1.0 over the years.

Thanks for the explnations all, and than kl you for the video. I haven't watched it all yet, but just watching the first 3 minutes has been extremely informative

I did download a bunch of Philskene routes last night... unfortunately almost all of them have something faulty with them. The Port Loleta Railroad one has a missing "Long Factory" and the status is "unknown location". A number of them are missing the Steel Coil loading crane <kuid2:124017:10055:2> and Rail Ferry Housing <kuid2:60238:26040:1>

Is there a way to just list the missing dependencies and not everything else? Meaning, is there a way, from the top of content manager, to set the filter to only show me the dependencies that are missing and not have to drill into everything and scan each item?

Right-click the map, "List dependencies" will open a new window of the Content Manager. Filter is now "Asset kuids", add a second filter "Installed", choose "false" and you have your missing assets.

Regards
Swordfish

I like all the excuses for the DLC having faulty content. Especially the "Have a problem with the program or content in it? spend more money on another version. Only game I've ever seen this on.
Point SHOULD be- If it's going to show up in the content window and sold through the website, especially if it's listed in the content store, it better be FULLY operative. The straw that broke the camels back for me was bonus content with missing KUID's. That is absolutely inexcusable. And N3V wants consumers to subscribe to a program where they can't even keep content included in a purchase correct?

At least other games that are going this route ensure every add on you buy through their site works. If there's a bug, it gets fixed. Sick of upgrading from one version to another and finding issues that take forever to get fixed. N3V talks a good game, but they care more about the money than the product any more.

Tired of the excuses for all the issues that keep cropping up and for some that have existed for years. In my opinion, if MS had continued with development of their train simulator, Trainz would either be struggling or not be around any more.

You won't see TS 2009 on my list. Why? Some of the reports I sent in as a beta tester still appeared in the public release, unfixed. Got P.O.d about that. They didn't get fixed until 2012. I've been a beta tester for other software and had never seen that before.

Would love to see them get their act together. I'd be telling everyone about the game. But 22 is not an option for the reasons listed above.

As for pushing people to a subscription. I've had to find alternatives for other non game software because all of the subscriptions would add up to over $2000 a year. MS and Adobe had the "great idea" that started a trend making software unaffordable. Not for each individual title, but for them lumped as a whole. People not using professional software don't see this, but it is happening.

Last edited:
edit: I was going to ask how to do this with all my stuff, but I see now how to do that. Do a select all, and then your steps....

Also, what is the "Picklist" that I see I can add things to?

You can list for example all your CSX loco's in a picklist and then in the game when you place a loco you can use the picklist to show only those items in the item list. When using surveyor you can put your favorite items in a picklist. Make as many picklists as you like "signals" "trees" etc etc

Hi perry --

"Right-click the map, "List dependencies" will open a new window of the Content Manager. Filter is now "Asset kuids", add a second filter "Installed", choose "false" and you have your missing assets."

A couple of further steps:
Right click on one of the missing assets.
Select "List Asset Versions". A new Content Manager screen opens.
Some will be shown as "Available for download, Obsolete".
Right click on the one that is available for download with the highest :x at the end.
Select "Download this Version". It will download.
Repeat for all the missing dependencies.
You should now be good to go.

We seem to be putting you through a number of hoops to get you up and running. Tell us if this helps.
_____

To those who are more knowledgeable than me --
In this situation Content Manager obviously knows there is a later version, somewhere.
Why doesn't it indicate where this somewhere is?
And why won't it download the latest version from the Download Station automatically?

Phil

Available for downloadThis IS the latest version available on the DLS and it (this version) is not already installed. If you are looking to install a new asset or update an existing one to the latest version, then this is the one you would normally select
Available for download, Newer version availableThis is NOT the latest version available on the DLS and this particular version is not already installed. There is an update to this version available on the DLS
Available for download, ObsoleteThis is NOT the latest version available on the DLS and this particular version is not already installed. You have an updated version already installed but it may not be the latest version (there may be an update available)

Q. Content Manager obviously knows there is a later version, somewhere. Why doesn't it indicate where this somewhere is?

It is becoming more common for content creators to release an updated version of an asset as part of a DLC package and not upload that updated version to the DLS. CM will not download an asset that is part of a DLC package even if it is an updated version of an existing DLS asset. Some content creators have uploaded their updated DLC version assets to the DLS and these updates can then be downloaded by CM.

Q. And why won't it download the latest version from the Download Station automatically?

Not everyone wants to install the latest version of an asset. If you right mouse click on any asset on the DLS and select Download, then CM will automatically download the latest available version, which may not be the one you clicked on. It could even have a completely different kuid number sequence. So if you right mouse click on a DLS asset labeled as "Newer Version Available" then CM will ignore that particular version of the asset and go straight for the latest updated version.

If you actually do want to download an earlier version of the asset (labelled "Newer Version Available" or "Obsolete") then right mouse click on the asset and select Download this Version.

I have a Trainz Wiki page dealing with CM asset download issues - https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Understand_Content_Manager_Status_Labels

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that if I was to begin using Trainz for the first time , this year, , I'd give up , not only is the purchase far more confusing , with so many options, but there seem more defective assets and items that do not work as they used to back in the old days.
Quite honestly I can't really be effusive enough to encourage anyone to start using the app because it can be so frustrating annoying and confusing, no one should have such a negative start to using any application.

Its a sad reflection of the state of the game that this thread even exists ( but on the positive side, it shows the community at its best in trying to keep a new user interested enough to persist despite all the hassles and faults that keep on appearing )

I'm pretty sure that if I was to begin using Trainz for the first time , this year, , I'd give up , not only is the purchase far more confusing , with so many options, but there seem more defective assets and items that do not work as they used to back in the old days.

I understand what you are saying and yes, there can be a lot of confusion/frustration in Trainz, more than perhaps there should be.

Now I do not have a very broad experience with video games, but to me the big plus in Trainz is its community involvement. How many simulation games are there that allow ordinary users (not computer geeks/nerds/programmers/etc) to create content for the platform? I am certain that there would be others but from what I have heard the creation experience is often not great. They can be great at running, trouble-free, worlds or whatever that have been created by the programmers or those creators who are in the "inner circle" but not by the average "Casey Jones" user.

The fact that I can easily create my own complete and complex railway worlds is the "wow factor" that keeps me with Trainz, and keeps me updating whenever a new version is released.

I doubt that I will ever master Blender (no matter how many times others tell me it is easy) so I happily restrict myself to creating assets that are not 3D.

From your timeline you were not around in the early days of Trainz (1.3, TRS2004, TRS2006 and arguably upto and including TS2010 and even TS12) when there was a lot of very "sloppily created" content from users who did not follow the rules (as slack or "forgiving" as the content creation rules often were in the early days). These assets, enthusiastically and generously uploaded to the DLS (and I am not knocking those creators) caused a lot of problems, far worse (IMHO) than we see today.

I don't see any confusion over purchases. I will admit that I was initially confused after purchasing the subscription and finding that my TRS19 Platinum Edition was suddenly renamed Trainz Plus on the top of the screen window without any download, and more recently, renamed to TRS22. But that conclusion was quickly cleared up.

The latest newsletter contains information about a simplification of the types of memberships and purchases that can be made.

As you noted, the community of users is one of the greatest strengths and assets (not on the DLS) of Trainz.

My opinions.

SWDW, the user already owns the newest version and has the subscription, so no one was asking them to spend more money. IE the person giving the help, checked their timeline and based their help on the user’s timeline.

Quite honestly I can't really be effusive enough to encourage anyone to start using the app because it can be so frustrating annoying and confusing, no one should have such a negative start to using any application.

Its a sad reflection of the state of the game that this thread even exists ( but on the positive side, it shows the community at its best in trying to keep a new user interested enough to persist despite all the hassles and faults that keep on appearing )

There is a lot of truth in what you say. What I think, which doesn't amount to a tinker's damn :):

New purchasers should be advised to initially limit themselves to built-in or DLC routes and sessions.
These should install and operate with no user intervention required, EVER. If strange machinations such as versioning changes are required, it should be transparent to the user through an install script supplied by N3V.

Think there is confusion between Game, which one would always or nearly always expect to work out of the box and Simulator which allows user created content which may require a lot of user input.

I would say is after installing Trainz is do the tutorials before downloading anything and getting confused.

Then have a look at the Content Creation Tutorials and others here: https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/

If a new install of TRS22 was buggy then quite likely the install didn't go properly or you have stuff in open for edit that needs right click revert to original.

IMO the fool proof method of installing is use the Offline installer.
When it has finished and done a quick database repair, do another one yourself.
When that has finished give it a few minutes for Windows to finish it's disk caching. Check Resource Monitor for continuing disk activity and Windows Defender will also be checking everything before assuming it has finished, actually its best to exclude Trainz and your local data from Defenders on access scanning.

Back