European rail scene question??

colhad

QR Clyde/GMs
Hi folks

I'm just curious to know something about European rail opperations.

Do all countries within Europe haul freight/passenger trains to other parts of Europe.

I guess a question to ask would be, if a French loco hauled a train from Paris to Munich in Germany, would it be changed for a German loco or would it go all the way through.

Would you see a Russian loco in Poland, or German loco in Austria??

The reason I ask all this is because I have been downloading a lot of European content for Trainz, just seeing if it would be correct for me to have so many trains from different countries running in a session.

Hi folks

I'm just curious to know something about European rail opperations.

Do all countries within Europe haul freight/passenger trains to other parts of Europe.

To my knowledge yes, since the fall of the Eastern Bloc this has become the norm really, though it isn't always direct trains. Normally it is transferred from one railway carrier to another, and with passenger trains you usually have to change trains unless the country is bordering the one you are leaving.

I guess a question to ask would be, if a French loco hauled a train from Paris to Munich in Germany, would it be changed for a German loco or would it go all the way through.

Unless it is a multisystem engine (or a diesel) it would be changed out, most countries in Europe use their own electrical systems (Germany for example has 15kv at 16.7Hz, its been this way ever since the 1930's), and have different in-cab signaling systems. So the chance of seeing a real through train is nil really.

Depends on what the loco is, if it is set up for operation in both countries, and if that railway network allows it or not.

The reason I ask all this is because I have been downloading a lot of European content for Trainz, just seeing if it would be correct for me to have so many trains from different countries running in a session.

If you are doing an area where there is a lot of cross border traffic this would be prototypical, though it would depend on where you are modeling and what era you are doing it in.

WileeCoyote:D

Hi folks

I remember while staying in Innsbruck for a summer i would see regularly see DB 111's on trains coming from the Karwendal bahn, also a DB ICE 1 would depart and arrive from the Innsbruck station once a day for berlin. OBB also has a class of engine that can run under the AC power of OBB and DC of FS.

I don't know about freight but have traveled extensively on passenger trains. The passenger trains that I have ridden have all been express( ICE, TGV, etc). The express trains will cross the border and continue to it's first scheduled stop. It's service ends there. In other words the train can deliver passengers across the border but cannot pick up passengers once it crosses the border. I also believe the crew is changed at the border.

I would be interested to hear from other riders because I only base my comments on observations not from knowledge about EU agreements.

Earl

As an example. If you wanted to go from Berlin to Melk, Austria, you can ride the ICE from Berlin to Vienna. You would then have to board an Austrian regional and/or local and backtrack to Melk.

Last edited:
Back