Electric Steam Locos in trainz?

Are there electric steam locos that look like this in trainz?

You are a few weeks too early for April Fools.

Let me guess. The overhead electricity supply provides the power needed to boil the water - to produce the steam - which moves the train. I would guess again, not very efficient.

Since no fuel is being burnt, why is there a smokestack? And where is the ON/OFF switch?

Actually, there was an electric steam locomotive produced...in Switzerland. Here's some info i found:

The Swiss Federal Railways had a highly electrified system during the Second World War, but retained little 0-6-0 tank engines for shunting. Due to war conditions coal was in short supply, but hydro-electricity remained plentiful. Therefore some of these small steam locomotives were converted to raise steam by electric heating. Power was taken at 15 kV, 16.6 Hz from overhead lines by a pantograph, and fed to resistance heating elements in the boiler, via two transformers rated together at 480 kW. Water feed was by normal steam injectors. These unique locomotives also retained the capability of being fired by coal in the usual way.

(Source: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm)

It's an interesting concept. The locomotives had electric heating functions, but still operated with coal and water. I also found some pictures on the site:

swisselec5a.jpg

swisselc3a.jpg

The picture Wolfpack uploaded is also from the site above.

So yes, they did exist, just only in Switzerland.

When I saw the picture at first I though that it ran like a normal steam loco, but had the ability to go electric for long tunnel's or something like that.

You are a few weeks too early for April Fools.

Let me guess. The overhead electricity supply provides the power needed to boil the water - to produce the steam - which moves the train. I would guess again, not very efficient.

Since no fuel is being burnt, why is there a smokestack? And where is the ON/OFF switch?
Maybe a little more research could be done first BEFORE discrediting someone? Just a suggestion as it wouldn't be the first time you have had to eat your words recently.

Maybe a little more research could be done first BEFORE discrediting someone? Just a suggestion as it wouldn't be the first time you have had to eat your words recently.

Ian, my original post was tongue in cheek! I had seen the original image (or a very similar one) a few years ago now - but was unable to recall the details. I thought I would add a "bit of fun" to the thread. I am sorry you did not get the joke!

Have a happy April fools day!

Last edited:
Back