echuast beat and diesel loco sounds during dynamic braking

jjanmarine3

I love trainz and find the simulator quite realistic and great fun.
I have a two part question guys : Steam loco exhaust beat - What governs the exhaust beat sounds and synchronisation with crank movement in trainz, is it possible to make it more realistic in general ? For example when advancing the regulator and speed the change in exhaust beat and the sound is very sudden in stages and not smooth, especially from pullaway.

Diesel loco's : in reality when in dynamic braking the engine revs go to notch 4 for traction motor cooling and only the dynamic grid blower motors sound increases or decreases with the throttle lever movement and traction motor outputs.. It sounds great in reality when running in dynamic with a full load behind...
I am not complaining , just asking because I would like to know.

Last edited:
I got answers from the Trainz team.
Good Afternoon JanThank you for contacting us. The synchronisation of the chuff sound, the chuff smoke effect, and the wheels will be up to the creator of the locomotive. A correctly created locomotive should, in most cases, be properly synchronised. However please keep in mind that the frame rate will also affect the operation of animations and smoke effects, and as such may sometimes affect synchronisation at lower frame rates.

In regards to the sounds on diesel locomotives, this is something we hope to address in the future, however we do not currently have a timeframe for when further changes to this may occur.

[FONT=&quot]Please check these HELPFUL LINKS:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Trainz Support Team[/FONT]

I got answers from the Trainz team.

[FONT=&quot]Please check these HELPFUL LINKS:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Trainz Support Team[/FONT]
At least you now have a few good places to search thru.

I have a two part question guys : Steam loco exhaust beat - What governs the exhaust beat sounds and synchronisation with crank movement in trainz, is it possible to make it more realistic in general ? For example when advancing the regulator and speed the change in exhaust beat and the sound is very sudden in stages and not smooth, especially from pullaway.

The enginesound asset referenced in the loco's config file provides actual sound files the game plays to simulate the exhaust. Steam loco synchronization of exhaust and wheel rotation is set with the direct-drive 1 tag in the config of the drive wheel bogey. Enginespec asset also referenced in the loco's config sets the number of cylinders, power strokes/cylinder and the angular offset in the cycle when the power strokes start. This controls the timing of the exhaust cuffs at low speed.

Not all content creators have epsecs and engine sounds made for the specific loco they are modeling. Sometimes they'll grab one or both from similar locos and assume or hope they'll make do and often times they do work out.

At higher speeds looping .wav (sound) files are played. You can sometimes notice when the file changes take place - maybe this is what you specifically pointed out in the above quote. The content creator provides an assortment of them in the enginesound asset. They are keyed to drive wheel rotation based on the wheel RPM that is indicated in the file name. The game picks the sound file to use based on the rpm of the bogey with the direct-drive 1 tag and adjusts the playback speed so the frequency of the exhaust "beats" (not pitch of the sounds) will tend to match wheel rpm between the available file selections provided. Unfortunately not all engine sounds provided are recorded at the specified drive wheel rpm indicated in the file's name and/or the spacing of the files throughout the required rpm range of the loco is too sparse or otherwise not sufficient. Also and more often the strength of the exhaust varies from file to file as the original recordings are made in various locations with the locos under various operating conditions (they can only use what's available). In most cases the sound files are made for other locos and get used because they're readily available in the game (and what we had before for steam loco exhaust sounds was significantly worse).

I don't do diesels so you're on your own with them.

Good luck,

Bob Pearson

Back