East Coast mass transit is shutting...

aardvark1

Senior Citizen Member
....down.

Many large cities, including New York City are stopping mass transit operations by tonight and tomorrow.

The entire subway system in NYC closing noon tomorrow, Saturday, August 27. That is the first time in history that has been done.

NYC is closing bridges to traffic because of high winds expected from hurricane Irene. These bridge closings will impact emergency response in all parts of the city.

Mass power outages are being forecast along the East Coast. These power outages may last for days.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

New York City emergency managment now evacuating certain areas within the city.

Could impact over 250,000 people.

There is just no good news with this storm.

Regards,

New York City has now shut down all subway transit effective as of noon today.

The concern is severe rain and possibly salt water getting into the tubes.

Bus service is also being suspended at this time.

Be safe everyone in the New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and States north of New York.

Be safe and listen to local news and emergency offices going forward.

Regards,

Ron,

I hope you were safe through this. I feel bad for the residents in greater NYC. Amtrak was right to shut things down south of Washington, and NYC has the right idea. This will keep people off the bridges and off the streets just in case emergency vehicles need to get through.

I suppose that it being a weekend rather than the middle of rush hour is better. I couldn't imagine the mass of people trying to get home during a storm like this.

John

John,

We had no impact from the storm in or around Charlotte.

However, the Outer Banks on NC are really being hit hard.

Hope you have no issues where you are located.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited:
I Live in NYC everyone's getting ready for Irene. by where i live there's a bus depot and bus terminal dozens of buses are arriving at the terminal dropping off buses then heading back to the depot. The last subway trains left at 12 Noon sharp all running local then its back to the yard or layup in the tunnels. The only danger to the NYC system is that our major overhaul facility is in one of the areas that will get hit by Irene the hardest and could flood the shops since there's a canal next to it. The bridges will remain open until winds start to kick up. Even Lower Manhattan is threatened by the 8 foot surge expected to strike. the most notable shutdown is Amtrak no Acela, Regional, i think the last Empire service left about a few hours ago. Airports are closed something that has never been seen on the East Coast. To those who live in the areas where Irene is expected or is headed for be safe and listen to the news and radio broadcast. if you have no where to go then don't go out.

Back