DRM MODULE FEEDBACK: You tell us!

22alpha

Hi Guys!

I would like to get some feedback from the folks who purchased the DRM module expansion pack. This was a first for us doing a module like this and I want to see if there is any interest in doing more. I have another one selected I would like to do, it's a bit different and will offer a new industry as well as some new cars and scenery items.

Here is what my issues are with the current DRM module, just little things I would change now looking back at it.

1. - I would have made it a true module vs. making it in the Model RR format.
2. - I would have extended it just a little bit on the south end for easier operations.
3. - I would have added another industry or two to add to operations.

Let me know what you liked, what you didn't like and what could be done to improve the next one.

Anyone who purchased the pack and offers their input will receive a special coupon for some extra savings on their next purchase, after you post here shoot us an email with your order # and I will update your account with a special code.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Over all I like the route. The mine is a pretty cool scene, and the custom content is very nice. Since it is a module my pc can handle the Pofig trees fairly well. For being such a small route, theres still plenty to do. One thing I would of liked to have seen, would of been the option to use DCC on the session, for those of us who are not good with cab control. I am happy that the route came with a session though, helps to understand how an operation like this would work. All in all a job well done, and I look forward to other projects of yours.

I would have preferred the true module approach as it easier to modify. The extending of the North/South tracks is a good idea especially if the tracks were parallel to the grid and not at at angles. As for another industry, keep it simple and not overpowering the theme. Stick with the N-S or E/W orientation without the odd grid on the sides.

Here are some pictures of a WIP on that module. I used part of the ordinal MWG route north of Stockman and the Cargill facility and merged the Mine module between the locations. I added a classification yard & engine facilities west of mine.

John

JohnnyC1_20140411_0002_zps2700a2a1.jpg

South mine entrance to the right and PVRR engine & yard on the left.
JohnnyC1_20140411_0001_zpse5226605.jpg

View looking East with DRM in the background and PVRR yard in foreground. Need to work on the hills
JohnnyC1_20140411_0000_zps14d17462.jpg

First of all a big thank you to you and all of the other JR members for their time spent on all of this excellent content as well as all the support and encouragement expressed to fellow content creators and trainz members.

I love the DRM with all the custom content and the little challenges incorporated into the route. After volunteering at a railway museum for several years running passenger and freight/work trains I was very pleased with having something to apply different operating principles on. Being I only operate using cab mode it brought a smile to my face after seeing the gradient going out of the the mine and the little added challenge it would bring. Both sessions ran great and were well thought out. With Lilb's session I was very pleased with the speed limits being listed in the session instructions and the added aid of the location markers with it being a little more of a complex run with more car movements involved. Having to work with a time schedule made it even better. And the added track work was just something else.

I agree with your ideas Mike for things you would have changed. It would open the possibility for a third session with you running the local switcher and working around the coal and main line train movements giving you another operating view of the railroads operation. The only other thing I could think of that would have been nice was if there was a list with what the light indications were for the S4 slug. I had figured it out with a little research and testing but it is a lot easier to find the history than what the lights mean being it seems to very according to the individual railroads a bit. Just for the ease of those who would want to know.

Brandon

The only other thing I could think of that would have been nice was if there was a list with what the light indications were for the S4 slug. I had figured it out with a little research and testing but it is a lot easier to find the history than what the lights mean being it seems to very according to the individual railroads a bit. Just for the ease of those who would want to know.

Very true. After some research it appeared that most of the indications from the lamps were specific to the railroad or industry operating them. I went with the most common in practice.

from the code:

Code:
forward (green/blue)
reverse (amber)
wheelslip (white)
emergency (red)

If possible I would have like to have the ability to add a figure to the shoving platform, maybe with a remote.

John

Great Work

Love the design of the module, and the work involved, excellent. I down loaded it to look at it and will get the pay ware pack. One criticism and this is not about your work. I am not liking the basement model approach that seems to be showing up. For me it takes that real feel away that we have been striving for all these years. Just Me,,, Great Work..

I'm with ya on that one!! The next one will be done in the nomal module format, I'll leave all that model RR stuff to the experts! ;)

Mike

Very true. After some research it appeared that most of the indications from the lamps were specific to the railroad or industry operating them. I went with the most common in practice.

from the code:

Code:
forward (green/blue)
reverse (amber)
wheelslip (white)
emergency (red)

Please excuse my butting in, as I did not purchase the route yet, but a little input, since I ran remote locos at a steel mill for a few years:
-You are correct, that there really is no "standard" industry wide, but there is a general "common sense" standard that seemed to prevail in what I saw outside of our own remote engines.

We used "in plant" LUK (Lukens Steel) locos (NW2, GE 144T center cab, and an SW900?), and a leased BVRY (Brandywine Valley Railway) NW2...BVRY had (4) lights, LUK had (5)
1. Red = Operator Emergency/Remote off-angle (such as a trip/fall by operator, or dropping of remote)
2. Green = Forward selected
3. Amber = Reverse selected
4. White = Loco running (engine idling), Remote system active (always ON while in operation)
5. Blue = Horn sounding (not present on all locos)

EDITED: after thinking, I had some of the functions wrong, they've been revised as I recalled differently. Pretty similar to your initial post.

Last edited:
I still can't manage to get all the grass splines to show up so not spent too much time to playing around on it. The mine buildings and locos are pretty damn cool though.

I did purchase the expansion pack and while I don't mind the Model RR style of the associated route, it's not my preference. I just feel that the whole requirement to make things look like a Model RR environment (walls, doors, tables, etc) doesn't really bring anything to the experience. Yes, it's got a WOW factor initially ... but eventually, it actually feels like it remove from the experience (for example that door in the room could have been another industrial area or yard, etc). The ability to make the Model RR layout does speak volumes about the flexibility of Trainz in general and what can be accomplished and I applaud the creativity required to do it. But, in the end, I prefer the standard layout. DRM in general is great. I like the layout, I like the industries, I like the vehicles included in the pack. But, in the end, I would have rather seen the time and effort spent to make it a look like Model RR layout put elsewhere. But, all-in-all you did a great job.

I think the module is awesome and would like to see more like it. About the only thing that got me was there is a loco facility that needed to be linked to the tank car spot to receive fuel and the diesels have no fuel consumption. The garage look was kind of interesting but could have done without it. Other than that I think its great.

Please excuse my butting in, as I did not purchase the route yet, but a little input, since I ran remote locos at a steel mill for a few years:
-You are correct, that there really is no "standard" industry wide, but there is a general "common sense" standard that seemed to prevail in what I saw outside of our own remote engines.

We used "in plant" LUK (Lukens Steel) locos (NW2, GE 144T center cab, and an SW900?), and a leased BVRY (Brandywine Valley Railway) NW2...BVRY had (4) lights, LUK had (5)
1. Red = Operator Emergency/Remote off-angle (such as a trip/fall by operator, or dropping of remote)
2. Green = Forward selected
3. Amber = Reverse selected
4. White = Loco running (engine idling), Remote system active (always ON while in operation)
5. Blue = Horn sounding (not present on all locos)

EDITED: after thinking, I had some of the functions wrong, they've been revised as I recalled differently. Pretty similar to your initial post.

Yes that sounds about right. I did find some using the white light as a link indicator, but I liked the scheme that a similar mine loader used; as wheelslip, better. In Trainz, there is no benefit to having the link indicator and to me it was a waste of a light.

Another used blue as the link light, and then another used blue as the forward light... So I just said can all of that, I will come up with something I think DRM would use and that could make use of all 4 lights in Trainz as well.

Great Job on DRM guys. I think what would have been awesome to add in, besides the seemingly unanimous opinion of not making it a model RR, would have been to throw in a line extension and put another mine or two, and a power station somewhere, just to add stuff to do. Now that I think of it that might be something to try out. Make modules with "product progression". IE: Coal mines and a power station; A steel mill and all it's supporting industries (I know that would be a bit of a doozie, but it's still an idea); Forestry, saw mill, paper mill, etc.; Oil fields and a refinery, that kind of thing. If DRM is any indication, some of those Ideas would be right up your alley. Once again, thanks for the awesome module and coal mine!

You're onto something there. I actually took the DRM module right after release and removed the model RR component from it to see what it would look like. Haven't gone much further, but you are certainly onto something with the industry expansion. I have been thinking about woodchips/logs for the next one. But this product progression you're talking about really sounds like something that would be very interesting to look at.

I will be PM'ing those of you in this thread here later today with a coupon code, thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

Well, many have commented, but I'll see if I can't add to the shuffle.

Module vs. model railroad: I like both concepts, but I think that if you went with the model railroad theme, the "layout" needs to be narrower, closer to that of an actual model layout. As wide as DRM already is, it would almost be better suited to just use the whole width of the baseboard and make it a "module". I think the initial idea of the model railroad style of maps is that you are using less space to build on, and therefore requiring less content. This allows more layout to be built in the same amount of time, and fewer kuids "should" provide for a smoother running map with higher fps. However, maps that are more narrow (such as MWG) provide almost the same concept, in comparison to DEM routes that could be much wider and require much more scenery. I'll enjoy either approach, model railroad or module.

As for the content, I think it was right-on for what we paid! Excellent new content, fun to operate, and just the right level of detail. MWG and DRM provide the exact level of realism and fun I am looking for when paying for a route.

In the future, I think I'd like to see more "modules"...aka, small layouts. Some people like huge layouts that take hours to drive from one end to the other. But some of us don't have that much time to spend driving trainz around. A few baseboards, single-digits to maybe 20 max, provides enough of an opportunity to switch some industries, use some equipment, blow some horns, and quench that trainz thirst! Plus, if you can produce 5 modules for every 1 large layout, that's more unique industries and themes to experience, more content to discover, and more for us to buy (aka, more $$ for you guys to make!). So I say forge on with the industry/module idea!

Chase

Hi

I bought this item yesterday and am quite impressed with it so far. My main dislike is the model railway theme but I think that a bit of judicious editing could take care of that. The idea of modules is a good idea for me as I am interested in the operating side of railways using AI only sessions created using the SCS2013 rule. Something like this is ideal to merge into larger routes. I particularly like the slow and realistic loading speed as it loads at 1 mph under AI when using SCS2013.

The design of this module is perfect for creating a repeating, self contained, fully automated micro session which can be used to provide background interest to the main activities on a larger route. In short I think this is great apart from the model railway theme. I'm sure though that other people would prefer to keep that side of it so as long as it can be edited to convert it to a standard module it wouldn't put me off buying further similar items.

Regards

Brian

Greetings,

I agree that this is a quality product. Very well thought out and built. Regarding the question of module verses model, I'm honestly on the fence. I would have gotten it either way. I do like the suggestions of extending it a little with a second industry. I would limit it to two to avoid complicating it too much.

Regarding the add-on purchase, I have no regrets. Quite a bit of items for the price. Very pleased with the actual mine and rolling stock (the main reason for purchase.)

Not to belittle all the hard work, talent and effort put into the overall package, but what I was impressed with the most was the session by Lilb. I fully intend to take a weekend and study it for my own session writing education. There appears to be a vast wealth of knowledge contained within. Providing sessions add value to the overall product in my opinion.

JR has always put out a quality product, and DRM is no exception!

Richard

Back