Downloading 2010 Content from the DLS Without Having 2010 Installed

torino72

Since the Help Desk never answers questions, can anyone answer this for me?

I still use 2006 but I bought TRS-2010 back in September of 2011 and have never installed it. I may never install 2010 but today I registered the serial number. My FCT expired last April and I’m now considering buying another one to get access to 2010 content on the DLS.

I can reach the DLS using the old TRS-2004 Download Station icon on my PC. It shows check boxes for all versions from 2012 backwards. If I buy a FCT will I be able to access 2010 content and DL via FTP to a local PC folder outside of any of my Trainz versions? I want to backdate some of this content to work in 2006. If I cannot DL the 2010 assets then there is no point in wasting money on another FCT.

I could do this back when I had a FCT but Auran has changed so much stuff that I’m not sure it can still be done. The text on the DLS screen indicates the requirements are that you have a FCT and a registered version equal to the latest version for which you are trying to DL assets.

Yes. If you have TS10 registered you can d/l TS10 content from the Black Pages to any local folder you choose. The biggest hassles will be dependencies which you will have to locate manually, and although some will be easy, back-hacking a lot of the content to 06 could be more hassle than it's worth...

Andy :)

EDIT: Additional Thought 1: Whilst I almost always use the Black Pages and ftp a single piece of content when I know exactly what I want (quicker than CM for that) using the BPs to d/l a lot of content is going to be woefully slow. It isn't really ftp, that's a complete misnomer, it's just a manual download from the server to your computer.

Additional thought 2: I don't want to start a my version is better than yours thing, but why 06? For 'older' content 04 kills 06. For anything else 10 in Comp Mode will run anything 06 will, but do it a zillion times better. My humble opinion's .02c worth would be to can 06 and run 10 the 'old' way...

Last edited:
Dermmy: You posted, “Additional thought 2: I don't want to start a my version is better than yours thing, but why 06? For 'older' content 04 kills 06. For anything else 10 in Comp Mode will run anything 06 will, but do it a zillion times better. My humble opinion's .02c worth would be to can 06 and run 10 the 'old' way...”

With regard to Compatability Mode I’d been told some time ago when I asked a question about improvements in frame rates with running 2006 in Comp Mode in 2010 that there was no significient improvements and that, in fact, if I was not careful with the settings the rates would even be worse than with 2006. You are saying 2006 runs in Comp Mode a zillion times better. Are there any facts/figures to back up your statement, or is this just an opinion?

Warning....you'd better have the hardware that can run it to expect better results...Just my humble opinion.

Mike

2010 in compatibility mode runs 2006 routes/sessions (without modification) better than 2006 does. It looks better, seems more realistic. But as leefer above said you need the hardware.

Back when I first got TS10 I wasn't all that impressed, in fact I pretty much wrote it off as a glitchy gimmick and declared myself president of the League of 04 Holdouts. The way I worked back then was I built routes in TRS04, but ran them in 06. 04 Surveyor was imho 'better' than 06's and content management using TrainzObjectz was 'better' than Auran's first 06 effort at CM. So 04 was better to work in, but the graphics in 06 were marginally better so build in one, run in the other.

But then I started working on EK3. It's getting to be an old route now, but back when I built it it pushed the envelope. In fact my purpose in building it the way I did was to find how far I could go. In 04/06 I went all the way. Surveyor in 04 got laggy and Driver in 06 turned into a slideshow. It was never going to work. But then on a whim I put the route into TS10 Comp Mode, and it flew. Same machine, same specs, same everything. And a machine which even for 06 needed upgraded and barely made min spec for TS10.

In my measured opinion if your computer meets min spec for TS10 it will do anything 06 will, and it will do it better. Significantly better. But don't take my word for it, you have both so install both! Put the same route/session in both and go play. You'll work it out...

Andy ;)

Back