Download Station help

Ant_the_mann

Hi, I’m very new to Trainz. I just got TRS19 for Christmas, and already had some things I would like to download. As I’m typing this, I’m currently downloading pagroove’s Icarus Shinkansen. Howeve, it is taking excruciatingly long to download. It’s been downloading for the past two hours and it hasn’t even gotten halfway done. Does anyone know any ways to speed up the download time?

Thanks, Ant.

Hi Ant! (I’m an Ant too!)
Sadly, N3V caps the download speeds on the Download Station, and the only way to speed it up is to buy a First Class Ticket from the Trainz website. The cheapest FCT lasts for 30 days and costs $5.99. Another way is to subscribe to Trainz Plus, which gets you free FCTs. DLS download speeds have been one of the big subjects for years. Hopefully N3V will eventually upgrade but until the be prepared to practice patience or buy FCTs.
Merry Christmas and welcome to the wonderful world of Trainz!
-Anthony (also goes by Tony)

Last edited:
Welcome to Trainz and to the forums.

N3V periodically offers sales for such things as the FCT usually with big discounts.

In the meantime, should you consider purchasing an FCT, purchase the annual subscription. It'll offer you the best bang for the buck. Purchasing the FCT is nothing new, in case you are wondering. We've had to do this since the service was offered in the early 2000s.

Last edited:
Without FCT mine is currently running at 4.8 KB/Sec. sometimes it gets up to 9KB/Sec. And with larger assets sometimes it gets almost done, then forgets and starts over. So patience is definitely a virtue.

I have had that issue with the larger assets too, @Forester1. Definitely understand. If N3V ever upgrades the speed cap, I think that 500 kbps or maybe more wouldn’t be unreasonable, especially now that internet speeds can get into 900 mbps. FCT holders can download anything in a matter of seconds, depending on internet and hardware speeds of course.

When I went to a fiber optic connection (Metronet), my speeds went from 2.5MB/s to 12.7MB/s -- bytes, not bits. Having a First Class Ticket is the only way to speed up your downloads. I also agree with AFdude06 in that N3V should update their non-FCT cap by a factor of at least 100.

Bill

Back