Doubled my RAM now Trainz shuts down the PC

gamerouche

Route Builder
Hey all, I'm wondering if you knowledgeable people might be able to suggest a solution for my problem?

I doubled my RAM from 2 to 4 Gig today and now when I start 2010 or TC3, I'm experiencing windows shutting down the program. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

I ensured that the memory I purchased was of the correct type and the computer recognizes the upgrade. I have a 32 bit operating system, Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86Ghz & an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT.

With 2 Gig RAM, I was having no problems, I just wanted an upgrade.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Gam :(

You have my symathy. Read my thread http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=66945

From what little knowledge I have I guess the obvious questions are
1) Are the RAM sticks from the same maker and to identical specs?
2) What make of mobo do you have? The RAM sticks I bought were compatible "in theory" with my mobo but "in fact" since they were not on the ASUS Qualified Vendor's List, they weren't.
3) What PSU do you have? You could be drawing too much power.
4) Is anything overheating and causing a shutdown?

You say correct type as in DDR2 @800mhz? If your mobo is dual channel enabled make sure each side has the same amount ie 2+1 the other side must have 2+1 not 1+2.
What brand name was it, Kingston, Crucial or similar. As lewisner found out there are some poor sticks out there.

RMA the RAM......................Odds are one bad stick.

Take one out stick of the new, see if it crashes, and then swap the first test with the second stick with the same test.
I had one stick go bad recently and when I isolated the bad stick, bye bye crashes. Had to do an Advanced RMA with Corsair.

@ Lewisner, thanks.

1) Are the RAM sticks from the same maker and to identical specs?

Yes, both identical 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 PC5300 667mhz 240pin. These were purchased from the US.

Product Information:
Memory Size: 2GB DDRII 240 Pin
Number: Qty 1 x 2GB
Memory Speed: 667 Mhz

Technical Information:
Non ECC
Non Registered
UnBuffered
Cas Latency 5 ( CL5)
6 Layer
Non Parity

2) What make of mobo do you have? The RAM sticks I bought were compatible "in theory" with my mobo but "in fact" since they were not on the ASUS Qualified Vendor's List, they weren't.

Mobo is Gigabyte S-Series GA-G31m-Es2L upgradeable to 4Gig

3) What PSU do you have? You could be drawing too much power.

PSU is rated @450W, never had a problem.

4) Is anything overheating and causing a shutdown?

No, nothing, until I swapped the memory over everything was working within normal parameters.

@Fran, only 2 memory slots on this Mobo, I removed 2X1Gb sticks & swapped for 2X2Gb

Gam

@ Mcquirrel, thanks, I'll try it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like William0d0's diagnosis was correct, it appears that one of my sticks is faulty.
I tried them one at a time on their own, the first one was fine but the second one caused shutdowns & crashes.
Luckily, Windows was able to effect a repair.
I've now gone back to my original 2X1 Gb sticks & will be emailing the supplier forthwith.
All your assistance was much appreciated, thanks again.

Gam :)

Just out of interest you can get Corsair and kingston RAM the same as yours off e buyer for £55.
Whether they're on the vendors list I dont know. A few specify which mobo's the majority dont.

Back