Do many people play multiplayer?

Well not really! I Think it do to the routes being to long or to hard to figurger out where to go and what to do.
You can start your own session and mabe someone will join you???
In Routes there are 3 rows the first one has a lot if not all 0's if there's a 1 in any of them then someone is playing a session click on it then click sessions wait for it to fine the player's game,then click on it then click on drive session.

It's pretty useless if you can only use built in or DLS content. Not a complaint on the available content, just the inability to use custom content and payware with other people who have the same stuff.

Well not really! I Think it do to the routes being to long or to hard to figurger out where to go and what to do.
You can start your own session and mabe someone will join you???
In Routes there are 3 rows the first one has a lot if not all 0's if there's a 1 in any of them then someone is playing a session click on it then click sessions wait for it to fine the player's game,then click on it then click on drive session.

Well that's a shame, I would think that multiplayer would be fun and have a lot of people on it. Oh well, I'll just start sessions and hope that people join.

Hi @ all,

so guys, in the opinion of my friends and me the multiplayer is a very usefull thing. We have just created a own community for this nice feature of TS12. It is called "TrainzMultiplayer.de", a small German community of railroad enthusiasts.

Beyond that we have rebuilt a very popular route from Germany to use this layout in TS12 with all new multiplayer features. The name of the map is "Niddertalbahn" (or <kuid:620415:100035> (route); Sessions: <kuid:620415:100037>; <kuid:620415:100038>; <kuid:620415:100039> and <kuid:620415:100040>).

Screenshots: click (The following screenshots contains several pictrues which shows you a multiplayer operation)

Sometimes we drive with seven or eight drivers and one dispatcher together in the same time(!) on this beautifull layout.

But there is a great problem. The build number of the German TS12 version is "50027". This is a different build number as the international version of TS12 which has the build number "49922". At the moment users who have the international version of TS12 can't play with users of the German TS12 version together. But Auran/N3V will release a patch which will adjust the two build numbers to one build number (So far we know).

It's pretty useless if you can only use built in or DLS content.
I think so too. In my opinion this is not the best way to built a multiplayer simulator. There are many problems which comes with this solution. A really great problem is the fact that a player in a MP session has often a very high ping and the result is in some caeses the lost of the conection to the host server or display "ghost trains".
An other problem is the amount of content. Surely on the DLS we have many many contents to put these on a layout but some ot these contents aren't made for TS12, so you get warnings (faulty content or dependences) which could prevent to start a MP Session.
The next bad thing is that there are many content creators (CC's) who are not willing to upload them stuff to the DLS. In the German trainz scene are many CC's who has made really nice stuff (railcars, locos, etc.) but they doesn't want to upload it to DLS.

It would be nice when Auran/N3V could work on a solution for this problem. I think there are so many other games which has a multiplayer component but not a kind of DLS. There is a host computer and client computers. And all of these computer not have to be connected to a major server anywhere in the world. The result: low ping times; the use of content which is not stored on a server like the DLS; etc..

Greetings from Germany

PS: Please excuse my bad english. I hope you can understand the text.

I have a couple of friends here in Vancouver ,and we play multiplayer quite a bit. I have also noticed it hard to find people playing multiplayer in TS12 . So what I did was create some 2 player maps , so that any two people could get together and have a friendly competition. (Kinda like Ice Road Truckers TV show) . The idea was to create something that could be played by any two people who get together to meet here on the forums (or meet up anywhere ,skype?). Heh, we mainly wrote it so I could compete with my bro, so we are working hard to make it a challenge.
Really , the short of it is... I think there is alot of players who are up for playing multiplayer games, but can't find one to play. I think that having two player games makes it easier for one to host/find a game. So, I doesn't matter which multiplayer game you pick. Just find someone here (or in TS12 online chat) that has a copy then go play. The more people you get to know here the better!!
Probably , as multiplayer grows, it will be easier to get more players joining in a game. It does happen, but not as much as I would like to see.

Also, On PINGS!!! , SHADOWROCK is right. The pings are way too high this way. There should be a direct connect between machines to reduce pings. Going through a server is slow as a turtle..... Give us our Pings back!!!!

Last edited:
Yes but no

When the beta of TS10 with multiplayer was released and in the early days of TS12 there was a lot of multiplayer activity.

I recall, in particular, many very enjoyable sessions on "Krashnburne" and "IntenCity".

Since then there are a whole heap more of multiplayer routes and sessions to choose from, and it seems to be a bit more difficult deciding which ones to download and join. Have we dissipated our efforts too much?

In the new year though I plan to make an effort to host multiplayer sessions for all those who care to join. I'll make an announcement here about the day and time. The routes will be either Krashnburne or IntenCity.

It's pretty useless if you can only use built in or DLS content. Not a complaint on the available content, just the inability to use custom content and payware with other people who have the same stuff.

Actually, I think you looking at it the wrong way. I think its a good way they have it set up. Yes I admit that it bums me out that I cant use any JR payware, or leeferr's Berkshire's in an MP session. But look at Microsoft Flight Sim x. If you don't have the content that some one else is using it substitutes it for some thing else. So lots of times you see 747's acting like F16's. Or in one case a flying Jeep that was doing close to 400mph.

Having a system that insures that all players have the same content is a sure fire way to keep every one one the same page.

As for routes, both the Mojave Sub and MRL are best suited for large groups of about 7-15 players. What we need is a mid sides route, that takes maybe 20-30 minuets to get from end to end. Now I am working on my own route that I hope will fit that criteria, but its still in the very early stages.

Also, On PINGS!!! , SHADOWROCK is right. The pings are way too high this way. There should be a direct connect between machines to reduce pings. Going through a server is slow as a turtle..... Give us our Pings back!!!!

Actually, when connecting to a server, its can be a bit faster. If you where to direct connect from PC A to PC B, then you ping would be limited by PC A's ping. So if PC A has a crappy connection, then you will have a crappy connection.

The problem with the TRS MP servers is this (As far as I can tell), the servers are in Australia. Meaning you have have to connect to them all the way down under. And then there is the data. Lots and lots of data. The more information that needs to be transmitted, the long it will take, thus a higher ping. Remember, TRS has to tell each player's computer where each piece of rolling stock is at all times. Even if its not moving.

So if you have 100 cars in a session, the computer must tell each player where each car is, all the time. Plus the game must relay each players location and train status. Train status is not just location, but what lights are on, if the bell is on, if the horn/whistle is blowing, what speed its going, what throttle notch its in, even if sand is on or off.

All of this adds up to a large chunk of information that must be sent to each computer. What I noticed back in TRS10 was on smaller routes with fewer cars, pings weren't so bad. But on some larger routes pings got up in the yellows.

As philskene said, "Krashnburne" and "IntenCity"are some of the best routes system operation wise. Though I think "Krashnburne" would be better if it where stretched out over several more boards, made into a point to point, and set up so it would take 15 min to go form end to end. But thats just my opinion on that.

The problem with the TRS MP servers is this (As far as I can tell), the servers are in Australia.

Nope. They're in the US.

It's also worth pointing out that Trainz is not a "twitch" game, and thus doesn't need particularly low ping times to be playable. Anything in excess of one second is going to be noticeable, but you certainly don't need the sub-50ms ping that some games require.

chris

I had a session with one other person on intencity yesterday. I tried another one on Krashnburne and no one joined. I also tried one on Mojave and no one joined.

The craze for Team Speak and the likes of are another off put, I don't have a mic and don't want one so I'm excluded from most games.
Then there is the multiple versions and constant updates of routes and sessions. Someone adds a new tree and uploads it as the latest MP version #67.97.
Merry humbug. :wave:

Heh, I know that since I am starting out with making maps, alot of my updates fix up problems that you don't expect to have happen. Like my last update. Have you ever hit the delete key to get rid of a small object in front of your field of view and had nothing happen? Well, it turns out something does happen, sometimes... And it is out of your FOV , so you don't know you deleted a big object somewhere. Anyhow, the last one deleted a turntable, which players need to turn around for their next supply pickup. Didn't see it happen. Went to use it last night, and went off the track into mid air , where the turntable was supposed to be :cool: So, I fixed that and spent quite a few hours fixing up this and that along the way.
I guess in a way patches are a good thing. In my Linux apache server machine, every time I go to use it ,it wants to update and fix core components in the kernel as well as other places. The O/S becomes a more robust, secure operating system, so I always let LINUX do the updates. The same thing goes with DIRECTX. Each new version brings with it better graphics /audio capabilities ,etc. We all love to have our new graphics cards tweaked !!
SO , Ho Ho Ho to all , and to all a good night ... :Y:
(someone once said that somewhere, didn't they?)

What I find ever so funny is that after hundreds of posts begging for MP, we finally get it. And now there are quite a few post/topics complaining about it in some way or another.

Now on to the matter of Team Speak. Not saying you have to have it Deano5, I mean its not like we are going to kick you from a session if you dont have it. But TS is a very useful tool for just about any PC game. Even if you don't have a mic, you can still use it to listen to train orders. I use TS for 2 other games out side of TRS.

And the update things is a little annoying, but then again, to do it right is a bit strange too. There is a way, I just don't know how, to make a new version of an asset, with out uploading it to the DLS as a whole new asset. What I mean by this is rather then having to download a whole new route or session each time the creator makes a change, you just get an update on the in game screen from updates.

I to like LineAxe have to upload a new route or session because we fine things don't work or not in that we thought were there.
I got over a 100 hours testing my short route making sure all junction,INDs,TMs,Signal's,were there and worked checked my portals they spawned trains on time and they did on my route before i added the multiplayer rule and uploaded it.
After i downloaded it i found that the portals are not spawning trains which is very importan to my route.
Now i have to make up new sessions to fine out why then upload them again to see if i fix the problem or not.
So not only is it flushtraing for you to DL a route and it not work but it's in barising to us that built the routes that don't work.
With that said all first time uploaded MP route are test routes because there no other way to test un tell you upload them as MP routes.

I can hardly wait until we get a buncha 2 player maps that are fully working!!! we can make up challenges , or make them all into a campaign or ??? I think I am very close to finish on both my maps. I am leaving two stable versions on DLS that won't change much at all. JIB28, I also thought about shorter 20 minute , end to end sized trips and so I did design routes that have that in mind. The driver has 7 trips, one special , and 6 regular trips. Each trip can be done in around 20 minutes. So you can play someone upto the number of trips you both want to make. Say you both only want to play an hour . Then, the challenge is to see who can get three trips done first. (Err without crashing, or anything like that) .. Also , there is a rumour going around throughout the drivers that the Stop Signs can be used like " Twisty Mcbendy's ". This is not the case, and in fact the company does have to replace them, on occassion.

Last edited:
Back