Do I need signals in this spot/How to free up switch?

gisa

Routelayer Ordinaire...
Hi Everyone,

Kinda confusing signal question for you all...take a look at this picture.

Please ignore the tailgating car and truck. :hehe:

At the bottom, is a single track two way mainline. As you can see, there is a pass track up top. I want to make this trackage prototypical and efficient.

Pretend there are two trains A and B. A is approaching from the bottom and B is patiently waiting on the pass track at the upper left.

What I want to happen is that the moment the last car/caboose in A has entered the pass track, I want B to go right on ahead and use that same very track that is now technically empty. My question is, do I need to put up the invisible signals I have there (I thought once the caboose clears, it should free up the switch and line) or does that searchlight (facing the other direction) effectively close off the mainline? I tried to play around with laying a test loco or two but it doesn't seem to free up once A has passed the signals on the top right.

What can I do to make it free up after it passes (or is there nothing I can do at all?). I'm an '04 dinosaur so this is for '04...

Advice and input is always appreciated

:wave:

Gisa ^^

I do not hve 04 but it looks to me like you need to remove the lower signal as well as the two inv. ones up top. Then set the switch default to the left. When the end of the train passes the switch it will turn left and the train waiting should get a green signal to start. Carl

I would have a look at placing a trigger in an appropriate place and using the activation of this to fire up a rule to free up the junction and / or signal (as required).

That said I have never used 04 so I don't know what rules etc are available - this may not be possible for you.

Have a look at the signalling tutorials here:

http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

They may help.

Not sure how prototypical it is, but what I do is put a signal on each approach to a junction. (In otherwords a train approaching the junction will reach a signal before the junction and the signal will be facing the approaching train.) Not sure what the purpose of those invisible signals are, but they seem to be facing the wrong way. (I'm also not sure what those objects next to them are.)

Normal junctions will thus have 3 different signals, all facing the trains that are approaching the junction. (Junctions where a section of track is one way, say a turnaround loop, will only need 2 signals since the train will only approach the junction from two directions.)

Have you tried using Track Direction Markers to make each side of the loop unidirectional i.e. (in the states) trains approaching from the camera only use the right hand line and trains from the far end only use the left hand line?

The signal on the approach from train A is the problem. If the left hand track always holds train B then the signal needs to be removed. On single line running with loops dont place any signals on the single section of track. Keep all signals in the loop section, preferably at the ends of loop sections. Placing a signal where you have it another train approaching may have control and not let B out.

I do not hve 04 but it looks to me like you need to remove the lower signal as well as the two inv. ones up top. Then set the switch default to the left. When the end of the train passes the switch it will turn left and the train waiting should get a green signal to start. Carl
I would go with Lewis; the switch setting is critical, once you have set your switch to the left and saved the route, the switch to the left become's the default setting, and will then revert to the left as soon as the train passes, leaving your (B) train free to continue.

So many replies. :) Fantastic stuff...thank you all!

I did exactly this and it worked perfectly! Thank you! I am not 100% sure I understand why but it does. I even put the switch to the right and it worked perfectly in my tests (which is what I want). I am assuming that the diverge signal defaults to a caution which might explain part of it but more below...

I would have a look at placing a trigger in an appropriate place and using the activation of this to fire up a rule to free up the junction and / or signal (as required).

That said I have never used 04 so I don't know what rules etc are available - this may not be possible for you.

Have a look at the signalling tutorials here:

http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

They may help.

'04 is a very quickly dying dinosaur and I'm sure I will get '10 eventually but I'm building a route in this and plan on finishing it there hopefully. The fascinating rule you mentioned is for '06 and above though.

I used Chuck's fantastic tutorials quite often recently (very well written and I'm doing the signaling part of my route right now) but in reading the signalling guide, it says to put a signal before the diverge which is what seems to have caused all this ruckus in the first place. @@ More about that below.

Not sure how prototypical it is, but what I do is put a signal on each approach to a junction. (In otherwords a train approaching the junction will reach a signal before the junction and the signal will be facing the approaching train.) Not sure what the purpose of those invisible signals are, but they seem to be facing the wrong way. (I'm also not sure what those objects next to them are.)

Normal junctions will thus have 3 different signals, all facing the trains that are approaching the junction. (Junctions where a section of track is one way, say a turnaround loop, will only need 2 signals since the train will only approach the junction from two directions.)

Prototypically, I agree with you: it makes sense to me that there would be a diverge signal before the switch. I put the invisible signals after because I wanted the waiting train to know that the switch block was now clear (after the caboose passed the invisible switch). I'm not sure how it knows, but following lewisner's and j_maybury's great advice, once it is close to passing the searchlight signal on either track, it frees up the switch and all is well.

The signals next to them are searchlight signals. I put invisible signals in the other direction so that the track would be 'double signaled' so to speak. I now think this is unnecessary though. :)

Have you tried using Track Direction Markers to make each side of the loop unidirectional i.e. (in the states) trains approaching from the camera only use the right hand line and trains from the far end only use the left hand line?

I thought about that but taking the pass track requires a slower speed. This route (and the real life area I am modelling of it) has very challenging grades and long heavy consists so I'd rather always have the through train avoid taking a pass track whenever realistically possible. It would not be prototypical either although I know we have limitations c/o the signalling system in trainz. ;)

The signal on the approach from train A is the problem. If the left hand track always holds train B then the signal needs to be removed. On single line running with loops dont place any signals on the single section of track. Keep all signals in the loop section, preferably at the ends of loop sections. Placing a signal where you have it another train approaching may have control and not let B out.

I remember a wise trainzer (Euphod)'s advice in that we should not put signals where we would not want trains to stop. Logically that makes a lot of sense here. :)

I would go with Lewis; the switch setting is critical, once you have set your switch to the left and saved the route, the switch to the left become's the default setting, and will then revert to the left as soon as the train passes, leaving your (B) train free to continue.

Once I removed the invisible switches and diverging signal, all worked well. I put one loco on the pass track on the upper left and asked the bottom to go along the same path: it went a bit past the switch but refused to go forwards (and normally I'd never ask it to go there). I tested in it several ways and it did not matter which direction I placed the switch in but the invisible signals and diverging signal had to go.

What I can't figure out though, is why Chuck's guide http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html and even the signaling guide manual says to put a diverging signal before the switch. @@ Forgive me for being dense, but could someone explain to me why those guides say to put it and why it works properly (and the way I want) without it?

I just realized another problem. I will show you all with another (very crude) picture:

green = signals (facing towards the center)
black = track
red = switch and switch direction (by arrow)

My route goes like this. How can I avoid a cornfield meet then? By setting one switch to the pass track and the other through the straight track? I assume that if one train entered the block then the other path would open up but would placing the switches in different directions help prevent the potential cornfield meet?

Gisa ^^

No. What you need here are direction markers to keep the trains to the right . Or left it that is the area you are doing.

Gisa said Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisner
I thought about that but taking the pass track requires a slower speed. This route (and the real life area I am modelling of it) has very challenging grades and long heavy consists so I'd rather always have the through train avoid taking a pass track whenever realistically possible. It would not be prototypical either although I know we have limitations c/o the signalling system in trainz. "

If you used Train Priority Markers you could encourage AI Drivers to use the straight side of the loop if they were climbing up the grade and there was no train coming the other way - I.E. apply Priority One to the up grade line and give up grade trains Priority One with Down Grade trains being Priority Two?

I suppose I could make them go on each track. Just seems silly to take a pass track if no one is there though. :/

I'm still wondering why both the signaling guide and Chuck's guide state to put a diverging signal in front of the switch...@@

Gisa ^^

.......I'm still wondering why both the signaling guide and Chuck's guide state to put a diverging signal in front of the switch......

Prototypically (at least in UK practice) if there is a divergence of routes on a main line the the divergence would be signalled. In fact you have already touched on this in your reply to EdrickV.

But because trainz can't see more than 2 switches ahead, that's why it is unwise to put the diverging signal there? Could I put it there? What would the affect be (aside from a delay for the other train)?

Gisa ^^

The only thing I can suggest is that you try it and see. The signalling system in TC3/2009/2010 is different (improved) from 2004/6 so I can't really help with detailed advice.

I have spent hundreds of hours trying to perfect Trainz AI signalling for complex terminus station layouts and the "basic" AI just won't do the job to my satisfaction. I've finally found the solution (I hope) by using path setting/clearing rules and commands, many of which are 2006 and later.

Anyway good luck!

I will be upgrading to '10 within the next few weeks. I'm not sure if I will import my route, but this is one key reason I would want to (for the improved signaling capabilities and the rule you mentioned). I heard great results with the AI c/o this command you mentioned.

Gisa ^^

gisa,

Have you used priority markers? If your trains are priority 2 (default), make the siding 1 or 3. Then, no matter which direction, trains will prefer the main, unless it is blocked.
Yes, signaling on TS2009 is improved.

Hi Superfudd,

That's an excellent idea. I put in track direction markers but I will consider this too. I am guessing a train that is priority 2 will take a priority 1 or 3 track if they have no other choice then? I'd just hate to see them waiting for the main to be free while the other train is waiting for the single track to be free. :D

Gisa ^^

A train that is Priority 2 will use Priority 2 track when available. Otherwise it'll use the shortest route. Based on mini-map colors, I think the default priority for track without a set priority is 2.

Hi Edrick,

Great. I will try this out later on. ^^

Oddly enough, the diverging signals near the ends of my route (where the track is one directional going out to a portal) work perfectly fine even when there is traffic waiting to go on the line. I suppose bi-directionality plays into this a bit...

Gisa ^^

Back