Do all the locomotives n a consist pull?

Cactushead

I've been thinking of this for years, since I got a used copy of UTC back n the day. So, today, I'm going to stick my head n the guillotine and ask a dumb question. Let's say I'm setting up Uncle Pete's "City of Portland", starting with an E-9 A and three E-9 B's. I save it off and enter Driver. When I find the E-9 A, I click on it which gives me the control of the train. Now, when I notch out, is the E 9 A the only engine pulling the whole train by itself, or r the three B's also pulling? Just wondering. Seeing as how I am now committed to building a Mars route, the same question apply's to the MLE's and the MML, seeing as how I run them tail to tail so I don't have to "Y" the whole train. When I'm done shuffling the deck, I just run around my new consist, and the lead engine now becomes the "B" unit, and off I go.
Just wondering. TTFN, Cactushead

Trainz handle all locomotives in consist except steam as MU like in the real world, when you go to notch 1 all locos notch up to 1, so yes, they're pulling too.

Cheers.

Steam engines also act in the same way. Each engine adds its power or braking to the consist.

I'll put my head on the chopping block here.
When I put a doubleheader steam on Trainz, I drive each locomotive in the consist.
I don't think if I start one loco, the loco behind starts up too.

Not with steam locomotives, when you have a second or third one in consist you need to switch between each one and adjust regulator, cut off, injector and shovel coal, it does become a pain however if you set *auto fireman true* in surveyor all you need to do is make adjustments to the cut off and regulator to each one in consist.

If you have a diesel and a steam loco in consist, say the diesel is leading the steam loco drags the train as it sits in regulator 0, if the steam is leading the diesel loco just sits in notch 0 and idles as steam locos don't have MU in real life or in trainz.

Cheers.

I just tried it out with the duchess loco and tender as a double header and yes its the brakes that are linked between the two.

Last edited:
Back