Disappointed with Trainz 12 Performance

CrazyQuickDraw

Genesee & Wyoming - HCRY
I must say, after only having Trainz 12 for a week or so, I am very disappointed with its performance. I find this game cannot run smoothly without putting everything on low, making the game look terrible. I remember running Trainz 2010 long ago in the past without any problems. How come Trainz 12 seams so poorly optimized? I have ran all my other games maxed out- and now it comes to this and I can't. Any recommendations? Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Processor : AMD FX 6100 Six Core @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard : ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Power Supply : BFG Tech BFGR550WGSPSU 550-Watt Power Supply
Graphics Card : Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB GDDR5 @ 975Mhz
RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Daul
Monitor : Viewsonic 24" LED monitor (1920x1080 resolution)

It really depends what routes you are running. Some routes, like the appalachian coal in TS12, will have MUCH worse performance than say - Philskene's routes.

It really depends what routes you are running. Some routes, like the appalachian coal in TS12, will have MUCH worse performance than say - Philskene's routes.

I've only tried the default routes so far. Currently I am downloading one of Philskene's routes... I'll give an update later.

I'm guessing you are using OpenGL? Direct X is far better about three times the frame rate here. If using directX and it's slow and you are on Win7 then you may also need to add DirectX9c. MS left some bits out of DX 10 and 11. http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?page=updating-directx

Also... May be an idea to activate the Data Process Windows. Launcher > Options > Developer > Show Database process Windows.
Trainz does quite a bit of stuff in the background to do with managing the database, which can have a negative effect on the game if it's happening at the same time. It also ensures you don't shut the PC down too quickly after closing Trainz as the background processes invariably haven't finished and that can cause issues on the next startup.

Plus some Antivirus programs will be checking each and every file as it's loaded in game so best to exclude the Trainz folder from any on access scanning.

Unless you are on an SSD then a defrag after installing Trainz is a good idea, it tends to be somewhat fragmented and that again can cause performance issues.

Optimized? that's why we are getting a completely new game engine, the original Jet Engine has been stretched way beyond what it should have been be capable of for 10 year old technology.

I'm guessing you are using OpenGL? Direct X is far better about three times the frame rate here. If using directX and it's slow and you are on Win7 then you may also need to add DirectX9c. MS left some bits out of DX 10 and 11. http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?page=updating-directx

Also... May be an idea to activate the Data Process Windows. Launcher > Options > Developer > Show Database process Windows.
Trainz does quite a bit of stuff in the background to do with managing the database, which can have a negative effect on the game if it's happening at the same time. It also ensures you don't shut the PC down too quickly after closing Trainz as the background processes invariably haven't finished and that can cause issues on the next startup.

Plus some Antivirus programs will be checking each and every file as it's loaded in game so best to exclude the Trainz folder from any on access scanning.

Unless you are on an SSD then a defrag after installing Trainz is a good idea, it tends to be somewhat fragmented and that again can cause performance issues.

Optimized? that's why we are getting a completely new game engine, the original Jet Engine has been stretched way beyond what it should have been be capable of for 10 year old technology.

I have been using DirectX. It was a good idea to active the Data Process Windows- I can clearly see that it has helped. I closed my Antivirus program (Bitdefender). Its working much better than before and I think I'll defrag next time I have a lot of spare time. If I want to improve my performance more, I can turn off Windows Aero and enable High Performance mode.

Is there any recommended trainzoptions.txt lines to run?

If you are running any version of Trainz on a laptop ... You should expect there to be lag, and poor framerate issues on ALL laptops (excluding $1500 to $3000 Alienware models) ... Most laptops are not meant for gaming purposes at all ... and TurboBoost speeds are not meant to be applied to your CPU speed (the raw speed of your 3.3GHz CPU may only be 2.7GHz ... TurboBoost lies, as it is not for extended gaming use) !

If you are running any version of Trainz on a laptop ... You should expect there to be lag, and poor framerate issues on ALL laptops (excluding $1500 to $3000 Alienware models) ... Most laptops are not meant for gaming purposes at all ... and TurboBoost speeds are not meant to be applied to your CPU speed (the raw speed of your 3.3GHz CPU may only be 2.7GHz ... TurboBoost lies, as it is not for extended gaming use) !

Well good thing this isnt a laptop.

Please stop with the 'turboboost lies' miss information. Processors are designed to handle relatively high clock speeds and then are binned (As in down clocked) to reduce failure rates even further. Modern processors are also capable of maintaining said clock speeds for extended periods of time with adequate cooling. If you disagree then please explain I5 4670Ks with a turbo boost frequency of 3.8GHz sustaining clock speeds above 4GHz indefinitely through over clocking, this not being the only example of course. My FX6300 has been running at 4.3GHz on all 6 cores with no issues what so ever for over a year, again above the turbo boost frequency.

Last edited:
I must say, after only having Trainz 12 for a week or so, I am very disappointed with its performance. I find this game cannot run smoothly without putting everything on low, making the game look terrible. I remember running Trainz 2010 long ago in the past without any problems. How come Trainz 12 seams so poorly optimized? I have ran all my other games maxed out- and now it comes to this and I can't. Any recommendations? Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Processor : AMD FX 6100 Six Core @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard : ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Power Supply : BFG Tech BFGR550WGSPSU 550-Watt Power Supply
Graphics Card : Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB GDDR5 @ 975Mhz
RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Daul
Monitor : Viewsonic 24" LED monitor (1920x1080 resolution)

I've had similar problems. I found going to a SSD has changed this for me however. Also, my recent upgrade from the same card you have to a Radeon R9 270X has seemed to help as I run the Bakersfield route on high settings and hardly any stutters. I'm sure I dont have my system optimized to it's full potential either yet.

Cheers.

I've had similar problems. I found going to a SSD has changed this for me however. Also, my recent upgrade from the same card you have to a Radeon R9 270X has seemed to help as I run the Bakersfield route on high settings and hardly any stutters. I'm sure I dont have my system optimized to it's full potential either yet.

Cheers.

What you experienced was a bottleneck. The problem relates to the constant loading of assets into view, whereby constantly loading assets via a slow storage medium such as a HDD slows the system down as a whole as the rest of the PC must effectively wait for the HDD to complete it's task. This is remedied to an extent by installing Trainz onto a much faster storage medium such as an SSD, where waiting for assets to load into view is less of a problem as it takes place significantly quicker.

Do not agree. There are quite a few gaming laptop machines that will run Trainz at a high level. While using very large routes with tons of details. You don't have to use a desktop. Those days are in the past.

Last edited:
Please stop with the 'turboboost lies' miss information. Processors are designed to handle relatively high clock speeds and then are binned (As in down clocked) to reduce failure rates even further. Modern processors are also capable of maintaining said clock speeds for extended periods of time with adequate cooling. If you disagree then please explain I5 4670Ks with a turbo boost frequency of 3.8GHz sustaining clock speeds above 4GHz indefinitely through over clocking, this not being the only example of course. My FX6300 has been running at 4.3GHz on all 6 cores with no issues what so ever for over a year, again above the turbo boost frequency.

The reason is you are lucky. When processors, whether CPUs or GPU, are manufactured the silicon die is quality checked and tested. The chips that fail right away are binned immediately while those that last for the lifetime of the product are kept. This part of the first level culling process. The next go around with the batch entails stress testing this same batch at a more strict testing level. At this point the silicon is clocked up as high as it can go. Those chips that survive the highest clock level, are kept and sold at a premium. The rest are then culled out again until the next level is found. These are sold as consumer-grade chips and are sold to OEMs for the motherboard sales. The highest-level quality chips go to premium manufacturers for servers and high-end pricey systems. The remaining lot, that barely past the tests, but still work go to the cheap, D-grade system builders. These are the ones that sell the really inexpensive bargain systems at the big-box stores and other retailers such as Walmart. As time goes on, the batches are more refined. This is usually seen with chips with the highest stepping level, or the ones that are usually at the end-of-life of the components. By this time the batches are all pretty consistent and it doesn't matter which chip is used.

The thing is you can be very lucky and get a consumer-grade chip that was just on the cusp of being high-end, but failed somewhere - just enough not to meet those strict testing conditions, or maybe the chip was at the highest stepping level (revision), and the quality of the silicon is excellent through out. In this case you can overclock and bring the chip up to its theoretical operating level without degrading the components too much. Other times the overclocking won't work at all, and you'll end up crashing almost immediately. In my days of as a test and circuit technician testing systems, I've seen both ends of the spectrum. We would build systems and put them through rigorous tests to ensure the components could survive various environments. I would setup a test batch one day and spend the next one replacing parts.

Regarding laptops and games...

Yes, laptops are getting faster with more mainstream, albeit, mobile versions of the processors and video cards. We can even maximize the memory up to decent levels in many of these machines these days. The problem though is heat. Heat equals reduced performance and eventual death for computer components. The problem with laptops, unless made to handle workstation-level graphics, or other high CPU and graphics intensive programs, is cooking from the inside out due to inadequate airflow. Many. many laptops literally, and not figuratively speaking here, melt and die after some period of time due to lack of good cooling capabilities. The components will first run in reduced speed mode to try to save themselves from burning up, which degrades the machine performance sometimes considerably. This works to a certain extent, but after continuous high temperatures they will eventually die. This is where the made for gaming and workstation laptops come into play. They are built with adequate ventilation and cooling capabilities not found on the regular laptop. In many cases these machines have actual video cards and not just a mobile chip stuck on the motherboard. They also have real video chips too and don't rely on the AMD or Intel laptop integrated graphics which eat up memory from the system. The thing is you pay the premium for such systems, but in the end it's better than having a machine die very quickly too and having to replace it with another.

Regarding Intel's Turbo-boost...

This is a method that allows burst speeds for the CPU even under stressful conditions. This allows the CPU to quickly process things such as video compression, or graphics rendering but does not kick in for long periods. I tested this on my I7-3770K based system and saw no difference in performance with Trainz TS12 SP1HF4 running, and also during a video compression test so perhaps it's meant for those systems that don't quite have the performance to begin with and need all they can get to process something such as video compression.

John

You should expect there to be lag, and poor framerate issues on ALL laptops... Then why do so many non-gaming, general purpose laptops, have severe problems even getting Trainz to run ?

True. Maybe general purpose laptops have issues running Trainz like general purpose desktops. You can't buy a $250 desktop and expect it to run Trainz. If someone wants a laptop, they will have no problem finding many that have the specs and are built to run Trainz at a high level.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with TS12 performance. Over the years I have upgraded my PC to the point where, if it doesn't run something well, it can only be the fault of the software and not the PC. Logically if you don't get the performance you would like then the answer is to upgrade or buy a more powerful PC.
* For example read this review of your CPU which says that is not as good as an older AMD CPU - particularly when it comes to gaming http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...black-edition-1044580/review/3#articleContent

Last edited:
Back