Diesel Tender Questions

1. Does anyone know what MOW equipment uses a diesel tender?
2. Has anyone made BN Fuel Tenders, and if so, where can I get them?

Did it ever occur to you to go to the Download Station and type in BN Fuel Tenders in the search box? Or would you just rather have someone do the work for you?

Are they ever used in MOW? I reskinned a tank car into a fuel tender, and it is placed next to a Bucyrus Crane.
Thank you for the links.

Are they ever used in MOW? I reskinned a tank car into a fuel tender, and it is placed next to a Bucyrus Crane.
Thank you for the links.

They sure are. When the MOW crew is hundreds of miles out on a branch to nowhere, they still need to feed their equipment. Since the railroads, like most long haul businesses have negotiated prices for diesel, they fill up their fuel at their depots rather than relying on a local diesel supplier whom they don't have a contract with.

John

I read somewhere that BN bought cheap fuel, and filled up the tenders so they wouldn't have to buy as much. I am still wondering what machines would be paired with a tender, and if they can be found anywhere.

Back in the 80's BN used fuel tenders on their coal trains coming out of Wyoming (Sd40-2's, etc.). I don't think they are used today, but I could be wrong. BNSF does have one experimental train using a fuel tender between 2 locomotives but it uses some type of gas rather than diesel fuel. Fuel tenders were designed for long haul trains to reduce refueling stops. The fuel tenders had hoses that connected them to the locomotives.

Back