Deleting Folders In Trainz

tacosrock143

Eyes On The Rails
Hello Everyone :)

I need to make some more room on my laptop and I found that the N3V Games folder (I have TS12) is taking up 66 GB! Inside the UserData folder there is a folder called "backups" that is taking up 35 GB. I am wondering that if I delete that folder will Trainz not work without that folder :confused:

Thank You!

~Mark

The folders inside the Backups folder can be deleted. Also, on the main Launcher, if you select Options (just below Start) and go to the Developer tab, you can set how many backup folders you want Trainz to keep. I set mine to 7.

For TS2010, it will not do this automatically so you will have to delete the folders yourself. I delete the contents of my backups folder after every month, but I leave the last 7 there.

You can set the backups for anything from 0 upwards, you can delete the contents however unless you change the number of days to be backed up they will be recreated, I have mine on 1 as I backup by other means anyway. One day is useful if you accidentally delete something in content manager, as it will still be in the backup folder.

Do not delete any folders in Trainz, you need them all.

I have an ancient Toshiba Satellite 105 with 2 Gb RAM, and a Puney® hard drive, and it holds Trainz and 750,000 assets.

If you need more space, buy a desktop PC and put in a 1Tb Hard Drive, you will never fill it up.

Fact: most laptops are not intended for gaming at all, and most low end laptops will not run any trainz version beyond TRS2006.

Laptops that run TS09/10/12 need a fast CPU speed of 2.7Ghz-3.4Ghz, at at least 2 Gb RAM, and a 1Gb Dedicated Graphics Video Card (Turdo Boost means little or nothing at all).

Do not delete any folders in Trainz, you need them all.

This isn't correct, the suggestion earlier about removing backup folders within Trainz is fine.

However, you should only remove these if you are sure there's nothing in there that you want. Removing them won't effect Trainz, but it's a backup of content that has either been deleted by you, or automatically removed in a database repair (e.g. there were two assets with the same kuid in the database, and one was removed - it will end up in the backups folder).

So, check before deleting is the best thing for the backups folder.

Remember, each item that you download also takes up space. If you have content or routes installed that you no longer want, please delete these via Content Manager.

TS2009 does not have a backups folder, however the above line regarding downloads still applies.

Regards

Hmmm, just took a squint, I got a \TS12\UserData\backups folder in each of my TS12 installs, don't see anything named \backups in TS2010?

Hmmm, just took a squint, I got a \TS12\UserData\backups folder in each of my TS12 installs, don't see anything named \backups in TS2010?

Its the Trash Folder in 2010 up to SP3 no sure about Multiplayer as I avoided that.

What about old installs of Trainz?? I've only got <4GB of space left. I've uninstalled TS09, still have TS10 and TS12. When I uninstalled TS09, it left bin and userdata on my HD. Do later versions of Trainz need the TS09 user data or is it safe to delete it? It is over 30GB.:eek:

What about old installs of Trainz?? I've only got <4GB of space left. I've uninstalled TS09, still have TS10 and TS12. When I uninstalled TS09, it left bin and userdata on my HD. Do later versions of Trainz need the TS09 user data or is it safe to delete it? It is over 30GB.:eek:

You surely don't need the bin folder. This is the program folder itself and contains .DLLs, etc.

The user data folder is just that. This is all your downloads and content from TRS2009. If you do not want this at all, go ahead and delete the folder. You may want to back this up before hand. If there's anything special in there, you can always import this into TS12, but be prepared to fix some things.

If you do remove the folder, you may gain quite a bit of space because usually is a lot of data!

Remember, handling data isn't something that anyone can do for you. It's your call what you want to do with your stuff. And not to sound repetitive, make sure you have a back up before you delete, just in case you need anything that's in there.

John

I can't even remember the last time I used TS09, so I'm sure there's nothingin there that I'll miss!!

Thank You very much everyone for your replies! Now I can finally put Vegas Movie Studio on my computer lol!

Thanks Again!

~Mark :)

Remember, each item that you download also takes up space. If you have content or routes installed that you no longer want, please delete these via Content Manager.

Regards

Mr Murphy,

Easy to say and hard to do! (Or is it)?

Whilst it is simple enough to delete unwanted routes & sessions, there seems no easy way to search for content that has been downloaded but is not now used by any route or session. When one downloads a route to try then later deletes it as unwanted, it seems to leave all the content that was downloaded with it, deleting only the route map and other stuff that describes rather than composes the route/session.

I can right-click individual items in Content Manager to see if they list anything dependent on them, then delete that single item if there is nothing. I would really llike a global search to do this but there seems no way to compose one in Content Manager.......?

Can you help?

Lataxe, a tidy wee lad anxious to sweep up in his Trainz folders.

You can get a reasonable list of the downloaded content with CMP. Open CMP and select installed, in search select date installed and select the date you downloaded the route. This brings up a list of all content downloaded at the time you downloaded the route. This will contain other downloads if you you downloaded other wanted assets.

Back