Decent basic video capture software for use with Trainz?

I'm needing to make a pair of brief recordings of (short) operations in Trainz, but I'll need something to serve as a video capture software. I only really need something basic but functional, and cheep, free hopefully. I have FRAPS, but it doesn't compress the video at all, meaning even short videos run into the multi gigabite range, and I don't have that kind of free hard drive space any more, so it would need to slightly compress the video from the massive file size completely uncompressed. Using Windows 7, so it would have to run on that.

Thanks.:)

Bandicam offers a free version that has a 10 minute limit per video and the video has a watermark at the top of the screen. It can make a mp4 file with good balance between file size and quality. It is pretty light on system resources too and works well under Win 7.

I have FRAPS and what I do is process the video file in the original Win 7 version of Moviemaker. Once I've done that I delete the FRAPS file.

Windows-Alt-R to start recording....
OOPs, my bad. thanks for the correction Wreeder.

Last edited:
I have FRAPS and what I do is process the video file in the original Win 7 version of Moviemaker. Once I've done that I delete the FRAPS file.

Personally I use Handbrake to compress videos from one place or another that are too big. (Stored on external hard drives). My problem isn't the ability to compress it - it's the sheer size of the raw video and that I've only got about 22 GB of free hard drive space (yes I know), and RAM actually comes out of the figure, so I don't want to do a several minute long, multi-gigabite recording due to the lack of a "safe" amount of hard drive space to initially store it. Although I suppose I could simply set FRAPS to record directly to an external HD, which would resolve the problem. Tip for FRAPS: use the caps lock key as the recording on-off key, since they'll be a light on your keyboard to let you know if it's recording or not.

Two open source recommendations:

1. OBS Studio to record (best with Scroll Lock as the hot key for recording -- it gives you a visual indication that recording is taking place).

2. Shotcut for editing and compression.

As a combination they work well (full screen / 1440p):

The layout is "TRS22 - The Hoofhearted & Smelz RRCo - NG24 Model Trainz Layout", on the Download Station.

The original .mkv recording was 2.49GB. When compressed the youtube .mp4 was 1.59GB. Yes, the files are large, but managble.

Phil

Last edited:
Two open source recommendations:

1. OBS Studio to record (best with Scroll Lock as the hot key for recording -- it gives you a visual indication that recording is taking place).

2. Shotcut for editing and compression.

As a combination they work well (full screen / 1440p):

The layout is "TRS22 - The Hoofhearted & Smelz RRCo - NG24 Model Trainz Layout", on the Download Station.

The original .mkv recording was 2.49GB. When compressed the youtube .mp4 was 1.59GB. Yes, the files are large, but managble.

Phil
I second the part about OBS. Can't really attest to the quality of Shotcut (never used it) but when I record really anything I use OBS. Very easy to use and versatile.

Bandicam is not recommended in this day and age anymore because it has a watermark and a time limit (if you're willing to shell out a lot of money to make it work well, go ahead). OBS is a much better recording software, and you are able to change the output file pretty easily as well. No paywalls or watermarks.

No one asked your opinion on Bandicam. The OP is using Fraps now with a time limit and a watermark and is using Win 7. The last version of OBS that works with Win 7 is 26.1.1 and is more than a year old. Bandicam is still being updated for Win 7. You might try reading his post before you rag on other people's posts.

No one asked your opinion on Bandicam. The OP is using Fraps now with a time limit and a watermark and is using Win 7. The last version of OBS that works with Win 7 is 26.1.1 and is more than a year old. Bandicam is still being updated for Win 7. You might try reading his post before you rag on other people's posts.

Just noticed he had Windows 7...whoops. Sorry. Happens to all of us I guess.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCvs09YpxI

A local from Laurel yard delivers loaded box cars that will be spotted at the Billings dock and trans-loaded to less than carload boxes which will be returned to Laurel for shipment. This is the switching operation that is involved as well as switching the truck docks.

Nice watching all that Northern traffic! That one loco sounds like it needs an overhaul of the engine sound, but I enjoyed the video! Was this with Bandicam or something else?

Nice watching all that Northern traffic! That one loco sounds like it needs an overhaul of the engine sound, but I enjoyed the video! Was this with Bandicam or something else?
The video was made with the Windows key bar (Windows + G. I wonder if that is out of date. Please let me know if you are familiar with that video capture.

I use Cyberlink Screen Recorder 4, much better than Bandicam and Fraps rubbish! In Australia, Cyberlink Screen Recorder 4 is under $50 AUD well worth it to be honest.
I can't provide you a link unless you're in Australia, if you search for 'Cyberlink Screen Recorder 4' just head over to the Cyberlink website under products menu ;)

Have fun!!! :)

Back