D&H Route: Started, Looking for Someone to Take Over

ModelerMJ

RubyTMIX, Basemapz
Hello all,

A few years ago I started a route project representing operations on the D&H in the summer of 1982, in the area around Binghamton NY. The route includes all 3 major yards at Binghamton, and then extends east to Bainbridge NY via Belden Hill, Belden Tunnel and Nineveh Junction. It also loops south to Susquehanna PA (the location of the Starrucca Viaduct) and then runs north again along part of the old Penn Division to join up with the Belden Hill line at Nineveh Jct. There are also a few other branches that were included to allow space for trains to arrive and depart more realistically via portals.

In my time frame, Conrail is a major presence, and the NYS&W is also a big player in the area. The D&H also had a lot of leased power in those days, which would make for some interesting lashups. The part of the Penn Division I included was in fact still in use then as a high-wide detour around Belden Tunnel, and of course this is pre-Guilford so all of that mess is avoided.

As it stands now, I have the full DEM in TS12 49922 (created in TransDEM), and all track and roads (interstates, highways and minor roads) are accurately laid out with colored marker splines (manually traced from Google Earth). The DEM exists as both 1 large entity and as a series of smaller chunks that could be worked on separately if desired. I also have USGS topo maps and georeferenced Google Earth imagery for the entire route, plus 3D basemaps for the entire route that were created using the initial version of my RubyTMAP tool. I have a full set of track charts showing grades & curvatures for the D&H and Conrail portions, and Bing Maps has excellent coverage of the entire area in Bird's Eye view as well.

All the track is roughly laid (in the 1-piece DEM), and some work has been done on the major yard at Conklin NY and in a few other areas. All of the signature bridges and trestles (including the Starrucca Viaduct), and most of the significant landmark structures, have already been created by Bendorsey (many thanks to him for an awesome job on these), and are roughly in place; Ben has also indicated he would continue contributing to this project if it was taken over by someone else.

Unfortunately, due to certain events in my life, I am not going to be able to devote any significant amount of time to the actual construction of this route from this point forward. As I have been told that it has great operating potential, and historical value as well - and of course could also serve as the basis of a modern-day CP route through the area - I have decided that it would be better to offer what I have done so far to the community, rather than leave it languishing on my hard drive.

So, my thought is that perhaps a few of the really proficient route builders might be interested in taking over what I have started, in terms of actual route construction, with an eye toward making this available for T:ANE when it arrives - either in full or partial form. While I am not going to be able to do much in terms of route-building per se, I do have a LOT of research material to offer. I also live in Binghamton, and thus have easy direct access to all areas of the route to gather (more) photos, etc. as might be needed, so I would defintely want to (and certainly can) remain involved from a research & support standpoint.

mcys.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say. Thanks...

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
It's currently in TS12 49922 (non-SP1). Yes, I made the DEM and all other materials myself, so I have all the raw source data too.

Regards,
-Mike

How much track is laid on your route ?

I am sure someone with TS12 will want this route, or can use the raw source data.

The thing about USGS data, I find it hard to understand what type of data to obtain, what format.

I know the map co-ordenants that I need, but am unsure all about, all the USGS data variations.

I wish I knew how to make DEM's ... but I think I need a tutor.

All the track is 'roughly' laid. That means there is track everywhere there is supposed to be track, and junctions exist where they should, but it has not all been graded or had its horizontal alignment perfected yet.

As far as the actual Trainz files go, I believe that TS2009 & TS2010 share the same binary footprint as TS12 49922, so it may just be a matter of changing the Trainz Build number in the config.txt file to make all my existing work usable in one of those versions.

When I started the route, USGS data was still available from the Seamless Server, so it was not difficult at all to get what I needed; and of course with TransDEM it was fairly straight-forward to create the Trainz terrain and lay out all the spline markers. All it took was a lot of time :).

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
I`d love a US route for Christmas.

On second thoughts, I do really want to make that route. :D

Last edited:
Mike,

This is quite a route and quite a project undertaking. If I wasn't involved in other routes at the moment, I'd grab this one up in a heartbeat the D&H is one of my favorite railroads. I'm currently working on a possible group project that takes place a bit south of your Pennsylvania along with one at the east end in North Adams MA. What I don't want to do is take on a project then let it languish, or worse promise something and never deliver. These two plus my own projects are enough to keep me busy for decades. :)

There is a group you might want to contact regarding this project though. It's called Yesterdayz Trainz. Send me a PM and I'll pass your information on to them about the route. Perhaps we can finish this up as a group project. The guys there (and ladies too) might be interested in it.

As far as binaries go, there's a bit of a difference between the route files in TS12 versus the older versions. This would preclude people from downgrading to previous versions - i.e. TS2009 or TS2010.

John

If I had the time I'd definetley be interested, but at this point I don't. Hopefully someone will be able to finish it, I have some motive power thatll be ready soon that would fit this nicely.

@JCitron,

PM sent. Thanks, too, for the tip on the formats. I can of course supply all the raw data that goes into TransDEM if someone wants to tackle this using an earlier version.

Regards,
-Mike

Back