Custom stations and stuff

Veristek

Hey, all.

I'd like to ask a few things about content and custom stuff. I've restarted my Boston subway layout, and I downloaded quite a few new content that popped up since I last worked on it a year ago. I need to know about a few things. I'm using TRS 2009, so I should be able to upload any TRS 2004, TRS 2006, and TC 1 - 3 content into TRS 2009.

1. Is there any way to raise the tunnel ceiling in the tunnel called "Subway Tunnel 2" by ProTrainz? The kuid is... KUID: 58843:38102 I'm asking since my Green Line subway cars pantographs go through the roof of ProTrainz's subway tunnel. I *love* the look of the ProTrainz tunnels, but wish it was higher to accomodate catenary and pantographs.

2. I was wondering if there's any tutorials or how-to's to use AJS stations? I need to make some subway stations at ground level, not 1.3 meters off the ground because the trolley subways board and disembark at ground level. The problem is that some of the Green Line subway stations are REALLY twisty. Some harpin curves in the middle of the station, and weird long curves and loops inside stations. So I can't exactly use stock-and-barrel subway station buildings or kits, because they're all straight track, and I can't use splines because they don't have the station or industry property for load / offload passengers. Any ideas or tips?

3. How do I create custom stations and roads? I want to use MGreen's roads, but the DLS doesn't have the road intersections that I need. Also, I want to make decent ground level stations. I rather like the tram stations (forget the name, one of them is tramstop-mediterrean or something like that), but all the language and signs and stuff on these stations are in German or Austrian. Is there any way to fix this?

4. Station customization. I want to add in a Boston subway spider map onto station panels. Also, I want to have signs with two lines of text, one line with station name, and the other line with INBOUND or OUTBOUND. Is there any way to make this and incorporate it into a custom station? Any tutorials on how to make ground level stations, with scripting and everything? I think these are my most pressing issues, and once they are resolved, I should be able to do major work on my Boston subway layout.

Last edited:
Hey there!

1. Is there any way to raise the tunnel ceiling in the tunnel called "Subway Tunnel 2" by ProTrainz? The kuid is... KUID: 58843:38102 I'm asking since my Green Line subway cars pantographs go through the roof of ProTrainz's subway tunnel. I *love* the look of the ProTrainz tunnels, but wish it was higher to accomodate catenary and pantographs.

Unfortunately no, not without the original model.

2. I was wondering if there's any tutorials or how-to's to use AJS stations? I need to make some subway stations at ground level, not 1.3 meters off the ground because the trolley subways board and disembark at ground level. The problem is that some of the Green Line subway stations are REALLY twisty. Some harpin curves in the middle of the station, and weird long curves and loops inside stations. So I can't exactly use stock-and-barrel subway station buildings or kits, because they're all straight track, and I can't use splines because they don't have the station or industry property for load / offload passengers. Any ideas or tips?

Theres excellent documentation for all Andi's stuff on his website (http://www.ajsmith.nildram.co.uk/trs/)

3. How do I create custom stations and roads? I want to use MGreen's roads, but the DLS doesn't have the road intersections that I need. Also, I want to make decent ground level stations. I rather like the tram stations (forget the name, one of them is tramstop-mediterrean or something like that), but all the language and signs and stuff on these stations are in German or Austrian. Is there any way to fix this?

Check out the AJS Street Kit - you can create almost any road configuration with that. You could also model the new junctions yourself, but the Street kit is far far easier!

For changing the languages on the signs you'd have to re-skin the station. http://www.gaurc.us/files/info/ReskinningForDummies.pdf is a good tutorial, it describes reskinning rolling stock but the same rules generally apply to all objects.

4. Station customization. I want to add in a Boston subway spider map onto station panels. Also, I want to have signs with two lines of text, one line with station name, and the other line with INBOUND or OUTBOUND. Is there any way to make this and incorporate it into a custom station? Any tutorials on how to make ground level stations, with scripting and everything? I think these are my most pressing issues, and once they are resolved, I should be able to do major work on my Boston subway layout.

Same as above, you can either model them yourself, or reskin an existing station. I build my custom stations by using the AJS kit as a base and then creat the simpler objects (line maps, ticket booths etc) myself. All the scripting work is then done for you and then you just have to make it look good! Which is the fun bit after all!! :hehe:

There are lots of tutorials around for creating content from scratch, i'd start here http://www.worldoftrainz-downloads.com/~garyp/gmaxtutorials.htm and then build from there.

Have fun!
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.

For the tunnel stuff, as far as I know, Magicland and ProTrainz is hard to get a hold of these days. So I might have to create my own tunnel and splines and stuff with my own tunnel wall textures / tga mapping, but I have no clue how to do that. I know a few people who still creates tracks and stuff like Bendorsey, and from their posts, I can tell that creating splines and stuff is different from making locomotives or buildings.

No offense intended to anyone, but MGreen's roads are quite dated now, and there are many excellent recent road system releases to choose from.

No offense intended to anyone, but MGreen's roads are quite dated now, and there are many excellent recent road system releases to choose from.

What roads do you suggest? I need roads that have traffic, allow for one-way traffic in two lanes like on boulveards and avenues, snap-to intersections, and angled intersections. All in right-hand driving as I'm modeling an USA landscape, not European ones where they drive on the left side of the road.

Any good road systems to download and use?

I'll try that.

Any way to make new tracks and tunnels? I need subway tunnels high enough to accomodate catenary, and I want to have nice textured tunnels with light bulbs and grime and pillars and stuff like that. Not bland rectangle or circular tunnels with ugly grey walls.

Any tutorials or how-to's to make my own tunnels and splines (create them as my own content) besides AJS stuff?

Back