Curbs Missing?

boleyd

All the streets with curbing are gone. Several buildings are gone. The original small route with these elements is gone.
The main route is an amalgamation of two routes. Why does this happen? There are no Missing Assets shown. I have no idea of the names of some of the assets since they were part of attached routes. Approach Medium was the author of the most impacted merged route. I will try to see if his site is active.

N3V is not an encouraging environment for route creation. When they arbitrarily just delete items it is disrespectful of the customer. There may be technical reasons for the erasure, BUT to just delete the item is not right. Of course no one admits the events and suggests it is the customer's fault.
===========================
Was able to purchase a new copy from Approach Medium. I will reattach. All of the missing items are now in the database, at least until N3V discovers they have returned. What a lot of work just to regain lost ground. I suppose N3V will erase the items again as soon as they see that they have returned.

Last edited:
Deleted items? I've seen items obsoleted when newer versions are made but until you install them, the old ones still in any map that uses them. The only time it "appears" that items are deleted is when they are placed in a session layer and then that same session is not loaded the next time the route is opened for editing. Either merge any objects on session layers into the route layer or always open the associated session for editing instead of opening the route for editing.
Since every route can have one or more associated sessions, if the route is opened for editing, it doesn't know which session to load so it creates a new blank session.

A bit of a nomenclature issue here. Not merging routes. When I said merge the session layer(s), I meant move them into the route side of the layers palette so that whatever was in the session is now in the route itself. Then when a new session is created, all those objects will still be in the route.

I find that unless I'm doing or adding something that should only be in specific one session, I do everything in the route itself.

Prior to any mergers, I ensure that all layers are in order. If there are multiple layers located under the route-layer, I merge all those into the top-most route layer. This ensures that all objects are in place once the merger takes place. The only exceptions are UTM-tile layers from TransDEM.

Sessions can't be merged because weird things happen. I tried that once and I had trains in space!

Not sure why you would want to merge all route layers into one. I never had any issue keeping multiple layers active. Handy to have similar object on the same layer and separate from all others.
I'm not suggesting to merge sessions. I suggest that any layers in a session could be moved into the route side of the layers. That way any objects in a session can stay with the route unless they are meant to be session specific.

Not sure why you would want to merge all route layers into one. I never had any issue keeping multiple layers active. Handy to have similar object on the same layer and separate from all others.
I'm not suggesting to merge sessions. I suggest that any layers in a session could be moved into the route side of the layers. That way any objects in a session can stay with the route unless they are meant to be session specific.

If he's merging routes, then there can be issues. I've been hit with a CTD when merging routes with multiple layers in the route side.
Merging the session layer into the route has its own implications. If there are consists setup in the session, this can cause odd things to occur later on. The current practice is not to place consists on the route and only put them in a session. If that has changed, then it's good to know.

May be these things have been fixed but past performance with Trainz, any version, usually guarantees future similar results. This ranks right up there with multiple undo actions as we know can cause really weird behavior such as spline knots and track objects to disappear.

As for multiple undo, so far in TRS22+, I've not seen those classic issues. I've used it many times while editing my new route.
The only time I get disappearing tracks these days is when removing a spline joint next to a TransDEM created spline joint that should not be. If I don't fix the faulty spline joint first, I get an error and some of the track disappears. Then "Delete missing Assets"fixes the issue, the good track re-appears and I go on with my editing.

To be clear, I love TransDEM and what it can do. Unfortunately, when placing road and track splines, it sometimes seems to get confused and joins the two types together where they cross. Same thing with two tracks that cross but shouldn't interconnect. It creates a junction where I don't want one and causes errors with nearby junctions. Strange that a regular three-way junction with one in and three out works fine. Perhaps because the cross junction is trying to route trains from one in and two out from four directions at the same time, causing massive confusion in the logic.

Back